T83

New IR1 / I-130 filing online - USCIS time/ update infirmation seems odd.

9 posts in this topic

My wife (US citizen) completed I-130 on Dec 26th 2023 online. I am a UK citizen and we have a US marriage certificate from over 3 years ago.

We received all confirmations digitally (payment, receipt number etc.) but still haven't gotten a paper NOA1 (which I understand we may have to wait a while for).

The timeline on USCIS initially said '4 weeks' until the next step, however, after 2 weeks the case changed to 'actively being reviewed by USCIS' with an estimate time of '4 weeks until decision'.

This cannot be correct, right? I understand from reading around this site 'actively being reviewed' means something akin to 'it's in the vicinity of an employee who will get around to looking at it some time in the coming months'. We haven't even gotten a paper NOA yet! This last update is from 4 days ago, but someone already has it in their 'pile' at a center? We only filed online on Dec 26th.

Is this kind of thing normal? Is there any chance at all that these numbers are correct? (we weren't anticipating this happening so quickly, although it would be a good problem to have.)

Thanks for any thoughts.

2 hours ago, T83 said:

Thanks for the reply. I gathered from reading here the time updates tend to be ridiculous.

How about the 'actively being reviewed'?

Is that usually accurate or also to be ignored?

That phrase as an update seems to be meaningless in terms of timelines, from what I’ve observed.

Yeah the i-130 should take around 11 months to he approved. You can learn about the algorithm foe the estimated time if you're interested haha

For noa1 have you checked the documents section? It should be there. Gives your number and right at the bottom it gives your service centre. I think everything will go there too so no worries if nothing shows up. But you can double check your address is correct on the account.

That's all I can think of

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies.

We've found the info and we are at the Texas sorting center.

Good to know these times are definitely to be ignored.

We are looking at a probable November result, which is more like what we were expecting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.