Stein

Why is N-600 so expensive for what it really is?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So, one can file an N-400 for $640 + $85 or $725.  My wife's daughter would get citizenship through Mom if mom's application goes through before she turns 18.  So she will technically already have citizenship and can get a US passport.  But, if I want a piece of paper that says she is a citizen I have to pay $1,170 for what she has technically already been granted.  It's not the money, I can pay that.  It's just the government charging another $1,170 for something already "granted".  And, what are they actually doing to justify the expense?  She's already granted citizenship and is eligible to apply for a passport the next day after mom's oath.  It's not like they realistically are going to take it back.

If I waited on the filing (eligible to file now) for citizenship for a few months then it's likely her daughter would turn 18 before my wife gets citizenship.  Then she would have to wait for the 5 year mark, file the "short form version" of the N-400 herself , pay $725, take her own civics test and oath and still get a Certificate of Citizenship.  She's already waiting for ROC with mom right now to get a 10 year card.  I assume if mom doesn't get her citizenship until after she turns 18 then they take only mom's green card and her daughter would keep hers until she would file under her own 5 year rule.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Stein

17 hours ago, Stein said:

Then she would have to wait for the 5 year mark, file the "short form version" of the N-400 herself , pay $725, take her own civics test and oath and still get a Certificate of Citizenship. 

That's if the fees will remain the same, which I doubt. Most likely in 5 years N-400 itself will be around $1000

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/27/2023 at 4:05 PM, Stein said:

So, one can file an N-400 for $640 + $85 or $725.  My wife's daughter would get citizenship through Mom if mom's application goes through before she turns 18.  So she will technically already have citizenship and can get a US passport.  But, if I want a piece of paper that says she is a citizen I have to pay $1,170 for what she has technically already been granted.  It's not the money, I can pay that.  It's just the government charging another $1,170 for something already "granted".  And, what are they actually doing to justify the expense?  She's already granted citizenship and is eligible to apply for a passport the next day after mom's oath.  It's not like they realistically are going to take it back.

If I waited on the filing (eligible to file now) for citizenship for a few months then it's likely her daughter would turn 18 before my wife gets citizenship.  Then she would have to wait for the 5 year mark, file the "short form version" of the N-400 herself , pay $725, take her own civics test and oath and still get a Certificate of Citizenship.  She's already waiting for ROC with mom right now to get a 10 year card.  I assume if mom doesn't get her citizenship until after she turns 18 then they take only mom's green card and her daughter would keep hers until she would file under her own 5 year rule.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

My oldest will still be required to go take the oath because they're 16.  It doesn't make any sense that this form is $1140 but the other is $725!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 12/28/2023 at 10:52 AM, OldUser said:

That's if the fees will remain the same, which I doubt. Most likely in 5 years N-400 itself will be around $1000

The daughter should hit the 5 year mark in 2 years. The N-400 is increasing to $760 this year and the N-600 is going up to $1,385. It is very crazy that getting a certificate that you are already a citizen is twice as much as getting citizenship. The N-600 is a very short form about 30 minutes as compared to the N-400 which took me about 4 hours to complete. (Includes research and pulling in all the documents).

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.