eve101

Visa Waiver Program

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

So, my boyfriend and I have been getting ready for the k-1 process. He's in Brazil and needs to get a bunch of documents together so we're still a little ways away from even sending in the first applications. But I just read today that Bush signed some kind of waiver for visas so that Brazilians don't need a visa anymore. They just need a passport, I guess...So....I'm just wondering, does that mean that he could just come visit on that non-visa thing, and get married without this k-1 deal. I'm confused. Anyone else know more about this Visa Waiver Program?

Absence Makes Thy Heart Grow Fonder.

So, my boyfriend and I have been getting ready for the k-1 process. He's in Brazil and needs to get a bunch of documents together so we're still a little ways away from even sending in the first applications. But I just read today that Bush signed some kind of waiver for visas so that Brazilians don't need a visa anymore. They just need a passport, I guess...So....I'm just wondering, does that mean that he could just come visit on that non-visa thing, and get married without this k-1 deal. I'm confused. Anyone else know more about this Visa Waiver Program?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

I haven't managed to find any other info about Brazil recently entering the Visa Waiver Program, but if that's the case, your fiance can enter the US to marry you. However, he won't be able to stay, and you'll have to file a K3 (spousal visa) for him to be able to immigrate to the States. As lal_brandow put it, you can't use the VWP as a way for your fiance to marry and stay in the country.

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

I would like to get more information on the addition of Brasil to the VWP. If it's already in place (functional) that means my girl could come up to see me for say 90 days, return back home for her interview and then fly back here. We would be together 90% of the time instead of being apart for 90% of the time!!

K1 Timeline

03/15/07 - Sent Papers in

04/12/07 - NOA1

04/20/07 - Check cashed

07/26/07 - Touched (Finally SOMETHING happened!)

08/07/07 - Touched (aww come on! Stop teasing me!)

08/07/07 - Approval Notice Sent

08/08/07 - CRIS email sent advising of Approval

08/10/07 - Touched (why????)

08/11/07 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy in mail

08/27/07 - NVC Recieved

08/29/07 - NVC Sent to Rio de Janeiro

11/27/07 - Scheduled Interview Date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I can't find anything on Brazil entering the VWP, and I highly doubt it, since it's hard enough (at times, close to impossible) for them to get a visa approved due to high fraud rates, etc. Like the rest of S. America, really.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
I can't find anything on Brazil entering the VWP, and I highly doubt it, since it's hard enough (at times, close to impossible) for them to get a visa approved due to high fraud rates, etc. Like the rest of S. America, really.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1185743109...=googlenews_wsj

There's a news article about it. It does in fact list Brazil. I had to read a few times to believe it.

K1 Timeline

04/12/07 - NOA1

04/20/07 - Check cashed

08/27/07 - NVC Recieved

Timeline

Silly WSJ and their subscriptions :( You can find it at news.google.com and search for "visa waiver program brazil" and then you can read the whole article.

Countries added to the program include; Argentina, Brazil, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Israel, Malta, Slovakia, South Korea, Taiwan and Uruguay.

K1 Timeline

04/12/07 - NOA1

04/20/07 - Check cashed

08/27/07 - NVC Recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bush signed the law, but in order for it to work, Brazil will have to enroll in the program, and wait to be approved for it, it will also have to change it's reciprocity law and stop requiring visas from americans.

Don't count on the VWP program for Brazil anytime soon, my guess it will take at least a year for it all to come to reality, if it does come, since the law Bush signed is for country with 10% or less of denied visa applications in the consulates (the bigger the number of illegals, the more they deny) and Brazil has currently 13% of denials.

Also, it's visa fraud to enter US with intentions to marry and stay if you already know it beforehand and are aware of the laws.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
Bush signed the law, but in order for it to work, Brazil will have to enroll in the program, and wait to be approved for it, it will also have to change it's reciprocity law and stop requiring visas from americans.

Don't count on the VWP program for Brazil anytime soon, my guess it will take at least a year for it all to come to reality, if it does come, since the law Bush signed is for country with 10% or less of denied visa applications in the consulates (the bigger the number of illegals, the more they deny) and Brazil has currently 13% of denials.

Also, it's visa fraud to enter US with intentions to marry and stay if you already know it beforehand and are aware of the laws.

Did it say anything about Argentina?

*** Met in 2002 sometime online Yahoo messenger

*** Continued with scarce letters but many online conversations from 2002-2006

***June 2006: Went to meet mi amor in Buenos Aires and confirmed we wanted to marry (Stayed for a month)

***Nov 2006: Engagement formally announced

***March 2007: Returned to Argentina to visit for a week

***05-18-2007 I-129f Sent to NSC

***06-07-2007 NOA1 Transferred to CSC (Website)

***06-17-2006 NOA1 (Hardcopy)

***07-07-2007 Touched (Wasn't watching for prior touches...and maybe this one due to my phone call)

***Waiting...waiting...waiting

***08-03-2007 Touched (PhoneCall)

***08-06-2007 Touched

***08-23-2007 Touched

***09-13-2007 Touched (PhoneCall)

***09-14-2007 Touched

***10-08-2007 NOA2 APPROVED

***10-09-2007 Touched

***10-10-2007 Touched NICE!!!! :)

***11-07-2007 Left NVC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sure Russia is not included but if anyone knows where I can find a complete list of included countries, I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline

Did it say anything about Argentina?

I'm surprised they are adding Argentina, considering they took it away 5 yrs ago.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Those are all the VWP countries, I believe it was posted earlier in the thread.

Edited by meow mix

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I would like to get more information on the addition of Brasil to the VWP. If it's already in place (functional) that means my girl could come up to see me for say 90 days, return back home for her interview and then fly back here. We would be together 90% of the time instead of being apart for 90% of the time!!

Just be careful of that. I know for Germany it's 90 days at a time, but more than 6 months in a year is considered a no-no.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

Just be careful of that. I know for Germany it's 90 days at a time, but more than 6 months in a year is considered a no-no.

Yup. IF you are spending more time in the US than your home country, VWP priveleges can be revoked.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.