steve-phuket

Just got approved green card but not home when it arrives

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My mother-in-law's came in today via the U.S. Postal Service.  It had a tracking number on it, and I saw it from the time they created the mailing in Lee's Summit.

We live in a house and it was left in our regular mail box.  No signature required.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, steve-phuket said:

Hi,  my wife just got approved, yeah!!!! So I guess the USCIS sends the actual green card USPS registered mail, signature required right?

Problem is we not going to be home for a few months, wintering down south but in the US.

I don't want to register a new address since it's not a permanent move. What do you think I should do? Should I ask the post office to forward my mail to my current address? Thanks 

My wife is waiting for her Green Card to get approved. We have been waiting for almost 9 months and are a little discouraged by how long the waiting process is. Can you tell me how long your wife waited to get approved?

1 hour ago, McGinnis29 said:

My wife is waiting for her Green Card to get approved. We have been waiting for almost 9 months and are a little discouraged by how long the waiting process is. Can you tell me how long your wife waited to get approved?

Depending where your field office is, it can take a bit long. For example, SF takes about 19 months for most cases.

On the positive side, if you get 10 year GC instead of 2 year conditional, you won't have to go through removal of conditions which itself can take 2-2.5 years easily.

See processing times here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times//home

• 2 weeks later...

So, on my wife's USCIS website account, it says that the I-130 "Petition for Alien Relative" and the I-485 "Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status" have both been approved and the approval notice is in the mail. It also says, "Please follow the instructions in your notice." What are these instructions? Does this mean that she will be receiving her Green Card and that we do not have to go through the interview process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 12/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, steve-phuket said:

He's trustworthy but very busy and I worry he might forget something, but I think it will be ok. So long as my wife's signature not needed I guess it will be fine. Thanks 

Sign up for Informed Delivery so you can see the day it arrives .. text or call your tenant to let them know it’s arriving and what you want him to do with it .. put it in a secure specified place in the house.. and call again to confirm he has done this 

4 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

i moved to my new permanent address and filed a change of address with USCIS. its been 2 months since the account said " card was produced" and still nothing. how far is the post office from the printing center? how can it possibly take this long to put something in the mail?

Can you submit an inquiry? Are you sure the card wasn't mailed / lost?

Sometimes the status doesn't reflect the reality.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.