FrancoBegbie

Can I travel before my oath ceremony date?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I recently got approved for both my I-751 and N-400 at my combo interview. The interviewer told me it would be 4 to 6 weeks before I got a letter inviting me to the oath ceremony.

I have read elsewhere that it could take 2 months or longer to get that letter. The only letter I got since the interview was one saying my I-751 was approved and that I wouldn't be

issued a green card because my N-400 was approved as well.

I am planning to travel home next year and if I'm still awaiting an oath ceremony date, am I allowed to travel outside the country? My two-year green card has now expired (including the date on the extension letter),

so I'm guessing just travelling with the I-751 approval letter and no green card might be an issue?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
41 minutes ago, FrancoBegbie said:

I-751 approval letter

You can't travel with this. Since both green card and extension letter has been expired, you need to get an ADIT stamp from USCIS if you want to travel and you're not USC at that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Either get an ADIT stamp to extend your LPR status and delay the oath ceremony until after you return, or hope for the oath ceremony to be scheduled soon and then immediately apply for a US passport, then travel after you get it.  I recommend the second option, as your oath ceremony is likely to be in a few weeks.  The challenge will be to get a US passport quickly after the oath ceremony and you have your naturalization certificate because there is a huge backlog in the US passport system right now.  Once you have your citizenship certificate in hand, you can try to get an appointment at a Passport Agency office for faster processing with a plane ticket booked.

• 1 month later...

@FrancoBegbie any updates? did you get your oath ceremony scheduled?

N400

Submitted: 08/07/2023 (Online)

Receipt Notice + Biometric Reuse Notice: 08/07/2023

ROC

Submitted: 08/08/2022 (Phoenix Lockbox)

Received by USCIS (UPS Delivery): 08/09/2022

Text Message w Receipt #: 08/12/2022 (YSC)

NOA/Extension Letter: 08/18/2022

AOS

Submitted: 08/05/2019

RFE: 09/30/2019

RFE Received by USCIS: 10/11/2019

Interview: 10/22/2020

Case Approved: 11/05/2020

Timeline
1 hour ago, stephbd said:

@FrancoBegbie any updates? did you get your oath ceremony scheduled?

Yes, it is happening in 3 weeks.

Timeline
On 12/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, carmel34 said:

Either get an ADIT stamp to extend your LPR status and delay the oath ceremony until after you return, or hope for the oath ceremony to be scheduled soon and then immediately apply for a US passport, then travel after you get it.  I recommend the second option, as your oath ceremony is likely to be in a few weeks.  The challenge will be to get a US passport quickly after the oath ceremony and you have your naturalization certificate because there is a huge backlog in the US passport system right now.  Once you have your citizenship certificate in hand, you can try to get an appointment at a Passport Agency office for faster processing with a plane ticket booked.

I already got my ADIT stamp as I needed it for work for an I-9. My oath ceremony is in 3 weeks and I will apply with a US passport right away. Given the current wait times for a passport, it may not arrive before I leave but I will travel on my Irish one instead.

55 minutes ago, FrancoBegbie said:

I already got my ADIT stamp as I needed it for work for an I-9. 

Typically not. For I-9 you can show DL / state ID with unrestricted Social Security card and that's enough. Posting it here for somebody in the future, this may not be relevant for you anymore as you'll become a citizen soon. Though, after you become one, no need to show US passport for a regular job. Just show the two docs I mentioned 😊 you have to provide SSN anyways.

8 hours ago, FrancoBegbie said:

Given the current wait times for a passport, it may not arrive before I leave but I will travel on my Irish one instead.

Remember that US citizens need to travel on their US passport 

however follow the guidelines here and you may get your passport the same day 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

good luck and congratulations 

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.