mam521

New Passport Applications for Minors Receiving Benefit from Naturalized Parent

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know there was a thread about this before but I can't find it.  

I naturalized earlier this year.  I got my US passport, no big deal.  But, now I want to get my kids' passports and I see that the main passport office here only takes urgent or emergency passport applications.  It's looking like I'm going to have to book through a post office.  Unfortunately, my confidence with USPS staff is low.  Are we going to have issues since I have a single naturalization certificate and 2 kids?  Are USPS going to take their greencards and send them with the applications?  I really don't want to have to pay to replace my naturalization certificate and greencards because of a screw up.  Anyone care to share their experiences?  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is a relatively recent thread that may be helpful.  Too bad you are not planning on traveling to Canada in the next two weeks.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My wife and I became citizens back in May. We have two minors with GC, and went to apply for our passports at USPS. All four applications were 'packaged' separately.

The USPS agent did not take the original Green Card of my minors, he only attached their original birth certificate (not born in US) and a copy of our DLs. He did not attach our marriage certificate nor our naturalization certificates. He was supremely confident that none of that is required. I insisted to attach the green card, and he re-insisted that it is not required. I went with the agent's recommendation. 

Cut to week #9, I assumed will get a RFE, the status was still 'In-Progress'. Reached out to senator letting them know that we did not attach the GC and requested assistance to connect with passport office to validate documents. And magically next day the application was approved. My senator office said, all they did was placed an inquiry ( locator #35). No other follow ups from their side either! We received all passports before end of that week. And a letter from passport office asking us to send the original GCs to USCIS national record center (Lee's Summit, MO) and we did that promptly.

Like 1

Timeline
9 hours ago, springguy said:

My wife and I became citizens back in May. We have two minors with GC, and went to apply for our passports at USPS. All four applications were 'packaged' separately.

The USPS agent did not take the original Green Card of my minors, he only attached their original birth certificate (not born in US) and a copy of our DLs. He did not attach our marriage certificate nor our naturalization certificates. He was supremely confident that none of that is required. I insisted to attach the green card, and he re-insisted that it is not required. I went with the agent's recommendation. 

Cut to week #9, I assumed will get a RFE, the status was still 'In-Progress'. Reached out to senator letting them know that we did not attach the GC and requested assistance to connect with passport office to validate documents. And magically next day the application was approved. My senator office said, all they did was placed an inquiry ( locator #35). No other follow ups from their side either! We received all passports before end of that week. And a letter from passport office asking us to send the original GCs to USCIS national record center (Lee's Summit, MO) and we did that promptly.

Like 1

It was your case I was thinking of!  Thank you for chiming in!  

What post office did you do your passports at, if you don't mind me asking?  We're booked at The Woodlands Pinecroft USPS.  

Did they send just the photocopies of your documents?  I have 2 kids, 1 naturalization certificate, so I'm a bit worried!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Sure, we applied at Tomball Post office (122 Holderrieth Blvd, Tomball, TX 77375).

Yep, only photocopies of my DL and wife's DL + original birth certificate of the minor. No marriage certificate copy or naturalization copy or original GC. 

I would say go ahead and apply through the post office and check what they are recommending for documentation (you can also show the required documents list from passport site if the agent is not aware). Keep an eye on status and once you are at week#5/6 or so reach out to your congress representative office - these days passports are shipped in 6 weeks- usually they respond to mails within one business day. Also most of them have dedicated staff to help out on things under the purview of federal government.

Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So a little update.  

We went to The Woodlands post office today for the kids'  passport appointments.  It was the usual USPS cluster delight.  Thank goodness we had appointments.  

The guy took the applications, copies of my TX DL, a copy of Kid1's CAD passport because annoying child forgot wallet with driver permit at home. Took Kid2's info and the notarized DS-3053 (their father is in Canada - he signed and had notarized when they visited).  Took original birth certificates (and photo copies), my naturalization certificate (and photo copies), applications and photos.  He STAPLED through the birth certificates and naturalization certificate (I'm DISPLEASED.  Canadian birth certificates are on a special, plasticized paper like the Canadian currency bills are made of and I didn't want holes in my certificate! DoS always says not to staple things when you send to them so what the deuce?!). He also took the kids' greencards, sealed them in envelopes and attached them to the applications.  He did intend to send them together since there's only one original naturalization certificate.  

We did ask for expedited processing.  I'll update again once I have more info.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Another update: 

We've received both kids' passports.  

Appointments: Dec. 19

Issue date: Dec. 26 (both passports)

Receive date: Kid 2 - Dec. 29

Kid 1 - Jan. 3

We have NO idea why the passports were sent on different days, despite being issued on the same dates.  We also don't know why one came Priority 1 day and the other Priority 2 day.  Regardless, they popped up in my informed delivery.  Now we wait for the return of the (stapled) documents and the passport cards. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Final update.  We have received the passport cards for the kids.  They came from Tucson. The required submitted documents have also been returned.  I suppose next stop is to apply for citizenship certificates for the kids. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.