aj1

How are you all preparing for Ramadan?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs:

My sons have these books, they're very cute. I especially like "Celebrating Ramadan" by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith. Great photos and very easy for children to read and relate to.

Books for children:1) "Ramadan," by Suhaib Hamid Ghazi

Enhanced with beautiful drawings, this lovely book covers all the special traditions of the month through the eyes of Hakeem, a Muslim boy in America. Awarded Book of the Year by the National Council for the Social Studies in 1997.

2) "Three Muslim Festivals," by Ibrahim Ali Aminah and A. Ghazi (Eds.)

A collection of stories about the three main celebrations in Isalm: Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr, and Eid al-Adha. Told through the eyes of children and illustrated with lovely watercolors, this book captures the warmth of the holidays and traditions.

3) "Celebrating Ramadan," by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith

This new book (September 2001) follows Ibraheem, a Muslim fourth-grader, as he and his family observe the holy month of Ramadan. Photographs accompany the brief yet comprehensive text, making this a quality introduction.

4) "Magid Fasts for Ramadan," by Mary Matthews

This charming story captures the excitement of a young boy trying to fast his first Ramadan. While it is not required for him to fast, he is determined to make it through the day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey..........I know the book you're talking about........I actually know the kid on the front cover.....and his entire family to be exact......he is a student at the school I work at..........

:thumbs:

My sons have these books, they're very cute. I especially like "Celebrating Ramadan" by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith. Great photos and very easy for children to read and relate to.

Books for children:1) "Ramadan," by Suhaib Hamid Ghazi

Enhanced with beautiful drawings, this lovely book covers all the special traditions of the month through the eyes of Hakeem, a Muslim boy in America. Awarded Book of the Year by the National Council for the Social Studies in 1997.

2) "Three Muslim Festivals," by Ibrahim Ali Aminah and A. Ghazi (Eds.)

A collection of stories about the three main celebrations in Isalm: Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr, and Eid al-Adha. Told through the eyes of children and illustrated with lovely watercolors, this book captures the warmth of the holidays and traditions.

3) "Celebrating Ramadan," by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith

This new book (September 2001) follows Ibraheem, a Muslim fourth-grader, as he and his family observe the holy month of Ramadan. Photographs accompany the brief yet comprehensive text, making this a quality introduction.

4) "Magid Fasts for Ramadan," by Mary Matthews

This charming story captures the excitement of a young boy trying to fast his first Ramadan. While it is not required for him to fast, he is determined to make it through the day.

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
It is funny that some people think kissing or touching is not allowed during Ramadan, since it is allowed...as long as it is not sexual in nature and does not lead to sexual thoughts or actions.

Ok I give up...how do you kiss or touch your spouse without having it be sexual in nature or leading to thoughts or actions?

:help:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The same way you kiss your kids and not have it lead to sexual anything :) Think quick pecks on the cheeks or lips, but not all making out on the couch... :) I probably touch him hundreds of times in a day, but it doesn't make me think of sex.. stuff like "oh you have a leaf there" or just a pat, or something like that... hugs when one of us leaves the house...

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The husband isn't really in to traditions. However, we talked about how important they are to me, so he's agreed to create some for our own little family :thumbs:

Thus far, our traditions consist soley of green "holiday" lights strung around our apartment and going to the masjid on the weekends for iftar and prayers.

However, some ideas I'm thinking about trying this year:

*Getting a fanoos to stick on our coffee table for decoration. Funny story actually, the husband came a few days before Ramadan 2 years ago and I asked him to bring a fanoos with him. He bought me one - a key chain :lol:

*Making a special "ramadan dessert" - some kind of cheesecake, me thinks. If I make 2 or 3 before Ramadan starts, I can cut them up into small pieces, freeze them, and then take out only a few so we don't stuff ourselves on it each day.

*Invite friends over once a week for iftar

*Doing more community service each week, esp. something with feeding the poor.

*Spending time together each day to read Qur'an

*Going to the MOA amusement park for eid

*Going to the masjid for fajr on eid, then going to the gas station to get cheap cappucino - we did this last year, and it was suprisingly fun, so inshaAllah going to try to make this a tradition. Yes, we're boring people :lol:

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Also, most excellent!!!!! I've been grumbling for ages that Saudi Aramco World online didn't have up my favorite piece on Ramadan in America. Well, low and behold, there's now a pdf scan of it! Happy dance, now I can link people to it :dance:

In fact, if you go here, it looks like you can access a lot of pdfs of past magazines. One of the problems with the old archive is that there weren't all the spiffy pictures. Looks like these pdfs has lots o pics

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
*Getting a fanoos to stick on our coffee table for decoration. Funny story actually, the husband came a few days before Ramadan 2 years ago and I asked him to bring a fanoos with him. He bought me one - a key chain :lol:

Is a fanoos a lantern? If so, will you just put the lantern on the table and light it or something?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

Is a fanoos a lantern? If so, will you just put the lantern on the table and light it or something?

Na'am. My mom always decorated lavishly for holidays, so I'm going to work on building up a store of Ramdan/Eid decorations. But, all I can think of right now is lanterns and "holiday" lights. Will probably pick up some balloons at the dollar store to bring to the masjid to decorate for eid and then take back to our apartment.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ok I give up...how do you kiss or touch your spouse without having it be sexual in nature or leading to thoughts or actions?

:help:

stick something like a hatpin in a wall socket. touch it while kissing or touching your spouse. or you can opt for holding a large block of ice while doing so. :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.