sad_owl

RFE ignored all of our bona fide evidence

26 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, Ellie_7 said:

Another "vote", so to speak, for the parents' address on the husband's ID being a red flag. I would even go as far to suggest getting your own Real ID may be not worth it if the parents' address is still on the husband's ID.

If it matters, I have lived in his parents' house before (though I have no "hard" evidence of that). 

On 11/11/2023 at 8:34 AM, Thunderbolt said:

That's why. You can remove word woman and replace it with word immigrant. 

This is red flag for them. They think you are paying your husband to sponsor you for GC. 

I wish I had applied before I started my job... I wasn't making any money for 2 full years of our relationship.

How can we overcome this? Could this lead to a NOID or denial?

Here are some things I'm thinking of sending:

- Snippets of text messages going back years

- Amazon or other online purchases I've made, that show my name, address and payment method (shared credit card)

- Same for my husband, showing we've lived in the same addresses at the same times for 3.5 years.

- Many more pictures of us together in the different cities we've lived in, labeled with the date and location

- Miscellaneous mail

- Affidavits from friends and family

- Affidavits from ourselves, explaining some of the evidence (e.g. explaining the Amazon purchase receipts)

- One extra tax return, if we complete it in time

- One extra joint lease, if we move

Should I also include my husband's diploma?

Edited by sad_owl

How about social media? I have an active Twitter account in which I clearly state that I am married to my husband, and my profile picture is us together. But unfortunately, I am pretty mean on Twitter (nothing very political, I just like to criticize people promoting pseudoscience 😆). Should I include screenshots of that?

My Facebook account is deactivated, should I re-activate it and send screenshots? The account makes it very clear that I am married to my husband and has a bunch of pictures of us together.

Edited by sad_owl

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Also, attach cover letter explaining in short what's the situation and at the end add sentence that you are inviting USCIS to your home to see how you guys live. We did that and I don't know if it helped or not.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, Lemonslice said:

Wills and living wills are important documents to have, not just for immigration, but in life.

Quoting myself, but why no will?

Are you beneficiaries on each other's financial and insurance accounts? 

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

Quoting myself, but why no will?

Are you beneficiaries on each other's financial and insurance accounts? 

At least in my State, the laws of intestecy say that even if your Spouse leaves everything to someone else in their Will, then as a Spouse you can just ask the court to void that part of the Will. In my State, the spouse has the full right to everything regardless of what is said in the Will, unless they waive that right in a pre or post nup agreement.

I'm not sure if that law applies to beneficiary as opposed to a Will, but you'd think so. 

Likewise for a workplace 401K, you can not change the beneficiary to anyone else but your Spouse unless they waive the right.  

Timeline
14 hours ago, sad_owl said:

- Amazon or other online purchases I've made, that show my name, address and payment method (shared credit card)

- Same for my husband, showing we've lived in the same addresses at the same times for 3.5 years.

- Many more pictures of us together in the different cities we've lived in, labeled with the date and location

- Miscellaneous mail

- Affidavits from ourselves, explaining some of the evidence (e.g. explaining the Amazon purchase receipts)

I think this looks like a good list. As Lemonslice mentioned, wills, beneficiary documents for retirement accounts, health POAs would be great.

If you do a free credit report for your husband, does your current address come up as an associated address for him? He might want to make sure his credit cards have been updated with your current address in addition to his ID.

5 hours ago, W199 said:

At least in my State, the laws of intestecy say that even if your Spouse leaves everything to someone else in their Will, then as a Spouse you can just ask the court to void that part of the Will. In my State, the spouse has the full right to everything regardless of what is said in the Will, unless they waive that right in a pre or post nup agreement.

I'm not sure if that law applies to beneficiary as opposed to a Will, but you'd think so. 

Likewise for a workplace 401K, you can not change the beneficiary to anyone else but your Spouse unless they waive the right.  

Still good to show you actually set it up for your spouse...

Very easy and little involvement/consequence in showing text messages, subscriptions, and gym membership. A bit more consequential to mix real money in, and living will/end of life directive....

43 minutes ago, D-R-J said:

I think this looks like a good list. As Lemonslice mentioned, wills, beneficiary documents for retirement accounts, health POAs would be great.

If you do a free credit report for your husband, does your current address come up as an associated address for him? He might want to make sure his credit cards have been updated with your current address in addition to his ID.

Yes, our credit reports have matching current addresses and 3 additional matching past addresses (we've moved around a lot). So I'll submit them as evidence too. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, sad_owl said:

- Miscellaneous mail

Fantastic list.. 

Just in case they lost the lease, I would enclose another copy.

I’d enclose a narrative and paint a picture of your life together and your love story.

Also, enclose a cover letter with the list of items you are enclosing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.