defeedme

I-864: Am I a joint sponsor or a household member? (Split)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi this joint sponsor vs household member thing is ridiculously unnecessarily confusing.. as is most things from the government.

maybe someone can help?

My filipina wife is now a U.S. Citizen. We went through the whole process to get her mother to the U.S.A., took OVER 1 year, and now we just paid the fees & have to fill out the AOS portion of the NVC case. My wife has 0 income, sort of I guess, we do file jointly so technically our incomes are combined I think..  

Anyway, i'm the one with the money so as my wife's husband am I a household member or joint ?  looks like I qualify as both. 

From what's posted here it looks like I should choose the joint option ?

thanks in advance

Above was split from another member’s thread and moved from Spousal visa forum to Bringing family members (parents/siblings) of US citizens forum. Please start your own thread to ask questions.

VJ Moderation 

Timeline

unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about, my question was related to the other thread, but if you want a new one then great..

thanks for your help.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

When I married my wife I was the sponsor/petitioner and she was the beneficiary.  I had the income.  I filed I-864 as the sponsor.  I wasn't a joint sponsor...we were a part of the same household.

I think you are the sponsor and a household member and should file I-864.  I think you are not a joint sponsor.

When we brought my mother-in-law over, we both had jobs and income.  My wife (newly naturalized) was the sponsor and filed I-864.  I was a household member and filed I-864A.  I was not a joint sponsor...just a member of the household.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Edited by Vickys_Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Technically, I think in this case your wife is the sponsor as she petitioned her mother, and is required to submit an I864 as the primary sponsor, but with joint income it is more interesting as on the I864 she could show zero income or whatever the combined income is which I tend to think is correct as it would reflect what will be shown on the tax transcripts she would submit with the I864.  It is confusing, but in this case, if it were me, I would fill out an I864A to go along with my wife's I864 as we have seen many consulates request the I864A when the sponsor or joint sponsor is married and they file taxes jointly.  So I am in the camp that you would be a household member, and not a joint sponsor.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
18 minutes ago, defeedme said:

wow thanks for the info but it still doesn't solve my dilemma lol - I qualify as both household member and joint.

after looking at both the i-864 and i-864A the A looks easier.

So are you saying we need to submit both an i-864 and i-864A 

this is getting more confusing by the second!

Timeline
35 minutes ago, defeedme said:

after looking at both the i-864 and i-864A the A looks easier.

So are you saying we need to submit both an i-864 and i-864A 

this is getting more confusing by the second!

ok now i get it, my wife fills out the regular i-864 and I fill out the i-864A

i hope this is the very last time I ever have to deal with evil immigration for the rest of my life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.