Kathy Anne

How long does it take at the airport when you arrive in the US

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Trying to find out how long does it take at the airport going through immigration want to book a flight for my fiancé but don’t want him to miss his next flight

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Depends on several factors, but I recommend 4 hour layover to cover delays, immigration, transfers, etc.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Depends on several factors, but I recommend 4 hour layover to cover delays, immigration, transfers, etc.  

Thank you so much

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

There was 4 of us waiting for the airport interview. It took about 2 hours of sitting, waiting and being interviewed (Dallas DFW). This was several years ago so it maybe different nowadays. I second @Crazy Cat recommendation of 4 hours or more if possible.

Timeline

Thank you he made it wasn't long at all in Washington they asked like 3 question and he was done now I have to figure out what I need to do after we married what to file so he can start working

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Kathy Anne said:

so can anyone tell me the next step after we get married on the 19th i know i have to file something but not to sure what to look for

Just to confirm -- your fiance entered on K1 visa?  If yes, does he already have SSN?  If no SSN yet, I strongly recommend he go to an SSA office ASAP to apply for SSN.  For K1, best to apply for SSN before getting married.

Check this guide for the AOS process after getting married on K1 -- https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-k1-k3-visas/

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Just to confirm -- your fiance entered on K1 visa?  If yes, does he already have SSN?  If no SSN yet, I strongly recommend he go to an SSA office ASAP to apply for SSN.  For K1, best to apply for SSN before getting married.

Check this guide for the AOS process after getting married on K1 -- https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-k1-k3-visas/

i thought he had to marry and then file papers for adjusment of status then he could get ssn ugh why does this have to be such a pain

1 minute ago, Kathy Anne said:

i thought he had to marry and then file papers for adjusment of status then he could get ssn

Yes, that's one way to get SSN.  But applying for SSN now before marriage could be much faster.  With tax filing season coming up, would you really want to risk not having SSN for your husband before the filing deadline?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

Yes, that's one way to get SSN.  But applying for SSN now before marriage could be much faster.  With tax filing season coming up, would you really want to risk not having SSN for your husband before the filing deadline?

Thank you so much 

The standard recommendation for connecting flights after your first flight arriving in the US is to allow 2 1/2 hours. See, e.g. the Washington Post article "What to expect when connecting from an international flight" and it's comments (don't think I can put a link here).

But I see above recommendations for 4 hours. Is the process really that much longer for someone coming in on a K-1 visa like my fiancee will? She says she's heard, and one poster above agrees, they just ask a few questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, PeterMcS said:

The standard recommendation for connecting flights after your first flight arriving in the US is to allow 2 1/2 hours. See, e.g. the Washington Post article "What to expect when connecting from an international flight" and it's comments (don't think I can put a link here).

But I see above recommendations for 4 hours. Is the process really that much longer for someone coming in on a K-1 visa like my fiancee will? She says she's heard, and one poster above agrees, they just ask a few questions.

Too many things can delay the layover for a new immigrant.....flight delay prior to landing at POE, long immigrant lines at immigration, extended secondary inspection, etc.  Personally, I think 4 hours is better than 2 hours.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, PeterMcS said:

It only took him maybe 20 minutes for the questions what’s long is standing in the line to get threw to that part and that was less then and hour so 2 hours was a good time frame 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.