Rosalea

'Certified' copy of birth certificate for I-485

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi all!

I've been looking into putting together my AOS package for when I'll be filing in about a month. I've seen that they say ideally to attach a certified copy of a birth certificate. Is this a necessity? Or does it not matter as long as the copy includes all the things they need to see? I'm just a bit concerned that it'll take too long to get my birth certificate certified if I have to somehow do it in New Zealand when I have the certificate with me and need it done within 2-3 weeks. I just don't want an RFE!

Also does the marriage certificate need to be certified too? I'm not sure how I'd have time to do that so close to the 90-day mark.

Kind regards,

Rosalea

Edited by Rosalea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Attach a photo copy of the official document that complies with  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/NewZealand.html

Birth Certificates

The Registrar's Office in Wellington issues birth certificates. Beneath the columns containing facts of birth, including parent's details, is the seal of the Registrar and the date on which the certificate was issued, but such sealed copies bear no signature. Short form Certificates of Date of Birth which do not show the parents' details are not acceptable for visa purposes. For more information including current fee, please click here.

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Rosalea said:

Hi all!

I've been looking into putting together my AOS package for when I'll be filing in about a month. I've seen that they say ideally to attach a certified copy of a birth certificate. Is this a necessity? Or does it not matter as long as the copy includes all the things they need to see? I'm just a bit concerned that it'll take too long to get my birth certificate certified if I have to somehow do it in New Zealand when I have the certificate with me and need it done within 2-3 weeks. I just don't want an RFE!

Also does the marriage certificate need to be certified too? I'm not sure how I'd have time to do that so close to the 90-day mark.

Kind regards,

Rosalea

You should have certified copies of all of these things, regardless.  Why do you not have a certified copy of the marriage cert?  You'll need several.  Most vital records offices charge a couple of bucks per copy.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, SalishSea said:

You should have certified copies of all of these things, regardless.  Why do you not have a certified copy of the marriage cert?  You'll need several.  Most vital records offices charge a couple of bucks per copy.  

Well I’m not married first of all 😅

Some people say the birth certificate doesn’t need to be certified, others say it does. I’m just super confused.

Now I'm thinking perhaps you don't understand the meaning of certified copy? 

It isn't a process of "certifying" a copy of something already in your possession.  It is an official copy of the original document (owned by the county/city/state), certified by the county clerk or registrar, and usually has a raised seal.  It is equivalent to an original.

Timeline

Now I'm thinking perhaps you don't understand the meaning of certified copy? 

It isn't a process of "certifying" a copy of something already in your possession.  It is an official copy of the original document (owned by the county/city/state), certified by the county clerk or registrar, and usually has a raised seal.  It is equivalent to an original.

Yeah my problem is idk how I’m gonna get a certified copy of my birth certificate from a different country in 4 weeks.

Just now, Rosalea said:

Yeah my problem is idk how I’m gonna get a certified copy of my birth certificate from a different country in 4 weeks.

Most people try to come over prepared with such documents before immigrating.

But did you read the link Mike posted?  USCIS has info on which types of documents are acceptable by country.

For the marriage certificates, you will need to figure out how to request those from your county/state once you are married.   That info will be easily found on the website for your local county government.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Most people try to come over prepared with such documents before immigrating.

But did you read the link Mike posted?  USCIS has info on which types of documents are acceptable by country.

For the marriage certificates, you will need to figure out how to request those from your county/state once you are married.   That info will be easily found on the website for your local county government.

It didn’t explain much other than what an nz birth certificate looks like lmao. I don’t need to be reminded for the third time that I was unprepared, I can’t go back in time.

This is an obvious drawback to waiting until the end of the 90 days to marry.  It can take several weeks for the marriage to be recorded and for the certificates to be available.  

Just now, Rosalea said:

It didn’t explain much other than what an nz birth certificate looks like lmao. I don’t need to be reminded for the third time that I was unprepared, I can’t go back in time.

A cursory glance/click shows exactly how to order one.  

Timeline
Just now, SalishSea said:

This is an obvious drawback to waiting until the end of the 90 days to marry.  It can take several weeks for the marriage to be recorded and for the certificates to be available.  

Yeah, exactly. My partner seems to think people receive their marriage certificates on the spot.

I've seen that they say ideally to attach a certified copy of a birth certificate. Is this a necessity?

Who are "they"? USCIS? I don't recollect them ever saying "ideally" in their instructions or forms.

It is required for most applicants, yes.

If you don't submit it with AOS packet, you will get RFE, which will slow down the case.

Just now, Rosalea said:

Yeah, exactly. My partner seems to think people receive their marriage certificates on the spot.

Different jurisdictions do things differently.  You need to research how to go about that for your specific location.  

I can't imagine a legal document such as a marriage certificate being given out on the spot.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Different jurisdictions do things differently.  You need to research how to go about that for your specific location.  

I can't imagine a legal document such as a marriage certificate being given out on the spot.

Exactly my thoughts and what I’ve found from researching

5 minutes ago, Rosalea said:

Please, for your own sake, review all the forms and instructions for AOS, as well as prepare for ROC. See what is required in terms of evidence. It may require US citizen providing copy of passport or birth certificate, tax transcripts etc. There's a lot going on, and gathering it takes time.

We're here to help!

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

Please, for your own sake, review all the forms and instructions for AOS, as well as prepare for ROC. See what is required in terms of evidence. It may require US citizen providing copy of passport or birth certificate, tax transcripts etc. There's a lot going on, and gathering it together takes time.

We're here to help!

Yeah I know but I’ve seen conflicting info about the certification of birth certificates. On the uscis website itself it just says a COPY of the birth certificate.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/checklist-of-required-initial-evidence-for-form-i-485-for-informational-purposes-only

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.