user110

Acquiring U.S. citizenship after 18

7 posts in this topic

I have to preface this post by saying I do understand that after the age of 18, you no longer apply for a CRBA but there wasn't a better subtopic to make the heading under, so I've put it here...

I am wondering if you can guys can suggest some ways to acquire proof of my U.S. citizen mother's physical presence in the USA for 5 years? 

I currently have: 

- 1 year from the day she was born, to the day she moved to England. Proved with her birth certificate in NJ, and the deed of a house in London bought by her parents 1 year later, so the time in-between is time spent in the USA. 

- 1 year working for an investment bank in NYC from 1994-1995, proven by a letter of employment. 

- 2.5 years from 1995 to 1997 living at a Boston address. This is where it gets tricky, all the evidence I have are a dozen letters dated from those years mailed to that address with her name on it, as well as her husband's (my father) F-1 visa admittance date. They were married at this point, and hence were living together at this address. I know I'm meant to be proving her presence, not his, but will that help? I also have her vaccination record in Massachusetts during this time, proving her presence, so hopefully that helps. Unfortunately, I can't find any proof of employment or tax records for this time period...

- 2 years from 1997 to 1999 living at a different Boston address. Proved with a deed, showing when the Boston house was bought and sold, and have shared tax returns between my U.S. citizen mother and alien father for 1997 and 1999. 

If I feel like I have enough, I'll book the appointment at the London consulate, but I have to ask -- with these sorts of interviews, are the consular officers strict, or can they be convinced with weaker forms of evidence like from 1995 to 1997? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Looks like 6 years of residence in the U.S.  I expect difficulties:

You need her social security earnings report. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The onus is on you to substantiate the times claimed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, user110 said:

I have to preface this post by saying I do understand that after the age of 18, you no longer apply for a CRBA but there wasn't a better subtopic to make the heading under, so I've put it here...

I am wondering if you can guys can suggest some ways to acquire proof of my U.S. citizen mother's physical presence in the USA for 5 years? 

I currently have: 

- 1 year from the day she was born, to the day she moved to England. Proved with her birth certificate in NJ, and the deed of a house in London bought by her parents 1 year later, so the time in-between is time spent in the USA. 

- 1 year working for an investment bank in NYC from 1994-1995, proven by a letter of employment. 

- 2.5 years from 1995 to 1997 living at a Boston address. This is where it gets tricky, all the evidence I have are a dozen letters dated from those years mailed to that address with her name on it, as well as her husband's (my father) F-1 visa admittance date. They were married at this point, and hence were living together at this address. I know I'm meant to be proving her presence, not his, but will that help? I also have her vaccination record in Massachusetts during this time, proving her presence, so hopefully that helps. Unfortunately, I can't find any proof of employment or tax records for this time period...

- 2 years from 1997 to 1999 living at a different Boston address. Proved with a deed, showing when the Boston house was bought and sold, and have shared tax returns between my U.S. citizen mother and alien father for 1997 and 1999. 

If I feel like I have enough, I'll book the appointment at the London consulate, but I have to ask -- with these sorts of interviews, are the consular officers strict, or can they be convinced with weaker forms of evidence like from 1995 to 1997? 

She should have been filing taxes as an adult, and there would be tax transcripts for that.

On 9/27/2023 at 12:24 AM, Boiler said:

The onus is on you to substantiate the times claimed.

I understand that, and I'm confident in an interview that I can argue my point with the evidence I have at hand, I'm just wondering if there is anything else you know of that I can do to help me get more evidence that I may be missing. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, user110 said:

I understand that, and I'm confident in an interview that I can argue my point with the evidence I have at hand, I'm just wondering if there is anything else you know of that I can do to help me get more evidence that I may be missing. 

It's not a trial, you submit your evidence to support the application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.