TucsonBill

Looking for pointers when visiting Siem Reap, Cambodia

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since there is not a section on Cambodia here on VJ - I thought I'd try asking here. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. I have a lot of questions, so maybe I can give someone with extra time on their hands something to do 😃

Visiting the anciet temple in Angor Wat has been something I've wanted to do for years. My wife has never been to Cambodia and has some reservations about safety when going there. I've been doing some research and I am convinced one can visit, have a pleasant time with proper planning. We're going to thialand next month and will be spending a little over two weeks. I've bookd flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap and I've found a hotel and arranged transportation from the airport to the hotel once we arrive. We are on a budget, but there seems to be many fun things to do there that don't cost much. 

To visit the temple(s), Angkor Wat and maybe Ta Prohm... (could use some advice there), I understand all the hotels there have tour companies and can hook us up with a guided tour, I'm just wondering if there are any to avoid or particular ones I might try to book with. Of course it would be nice to have an English speaking guide...

I am also wondering about transportation in general - I have read that there are plenty of Tuk-Tuk divers arould the city that continuously ask of you need a ride and that virtually anywhere you go, any time of day or night, we can just ask any driver to take is back to our hotel - how true is this? I have also heard that the price is about $2 per ride, is that still true and is that $2 per person? What if one of us is traveling alone, for a single what is the normal fare within the city? What about tipping, what is normal?

Regarding currency, I have read that they take US dollars everywhere and to take fresh, crisp US $1 bills. I have also been told that I don't need to take a lot of cash becauese ATM's are plentiful and dispense both Cambodian and US currency. I'd just like to verify this.

Regarding communication - do many people understand English there? Will I need to uses an ap or something like Google Translate often? (We will have i-phones with international roaming but it will cost me $10 a day if I use data).

I have read it is best to use bottled water, what about water in a restaurant - and ice in restaurants? Is it safe?

I also want to address my wife's concerns about safety there - are there any particular risks we should be aware of, such as scams or pickpockets? How are the police there? Are there many police and are they friendly?

I want to attend one of the Aspara dance shows that include dinner or a buffet, is there a recomendation?

These are the other attractions we are considering, if anyone has any comments on these:

Siem Reap Food Tours - day and evening
Old Market - souveneers cloths
Noon Night Market, Angkor Night Market

Siem Reap Art Centre 
Kulen Mountain - swimming waterfalls?
Kampong Phluk floating village  (thinking of using Asean Angkor Guide)
Cambodian Landmine Museum ???
Made in Cambodia Market – King’s Road
Cooking Classes
Phare, the Cambodian Circus

Thanks for any help!

Bill & Pao

I-129f Journey:

2006-07-17 I-129F sent to CSC

2006-07-24 NOA1 (received)

2006-10-05 RFE (received)

2006-10-06 RFE (returned to CSC)

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-01-29 Visa Approved!

2007-02-17 Ceremony in Thailand

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

2007-03-05 Wedding in USA

AOS Journey:

2007-06-07 AOS for spouse and daughter sent

2007-06-16 NOA's arrive, (issued on the 13th)

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-07-13 Received RFE (Mailed on July 3rd)

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

2007-10-16 Interview date

2007-10-27 Green Cards Received!

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-07-24 Joint I-751 for spouse and daughter sent

2009-08-03 Received NOA1 dated 7/27/09

2009-08-03 Received Receipt and one year extension for wife

2009-08-03 Received "Verification Of Incusion Of A Dependent" for step-daughter

2009-08-27 Biometrics

2009-11-13 Green Cards Received

Citizenship Journey:

41 minutes ago, TucsonBill said:

To visit the temple(s), Angkor Wat and maybe Ta Prohm... (could use some advice there), I understand all the hotels there have tour companies and can hook us up with a guided tour, I'm just wondering if there are any to avoid or particular ones I might try to book with. Of course it would be nice to have an English speaking guide... i went there years ago when i still lived in my home country, without US salary and i think the car that i rent is cheap and easier. i dont know how much is ur budget. everyone has different kind of budget. what cheap for me maybe not cheap for me. the car that i hired literally a guy picked the 2 of us in an old mercedes benz car. he brought us to 3 different temple including ankor what. he's not a tour guide, so when we walked around, he just waited in his car until we are finished. 

I am also wondering about transportation in general - I have read that there are plenty of Tuk-Tuk divers arould the city that continuously ask of you need a ride and that virtually anywhere you go, any time of day or night, we can just ask any driver to take is back to our hotel - how true is this? I have also heard that the price is about $2 per ride, is that still true and is that $2 per person? What if one of us is traveling alone, for a single what is the normal fare within the city? What about tipping, what is normal? u just need to ask the driver before u hopped in "how much for the 2 of us". cant remember how much though. tipping is not mandatory for tuk tuk but if u want to give extra $1 they of course will take it. 

Regarding currency, I have read that they take US dollars everywhere and to take fresh, crisp US $1 bills. I have also been told that I don't need to take a lot of cash becauese ATM's are plentiful and dispense both Cambodian and US currency. I'd just like to verify this. yes they take dollar over there and no need to be crisp. they will take any dollar ( its money) and most of the time their chance will be in their currency. 

Regarding communication - do many people understand English there? Will I need to uses an ap or something like Google Translate often? (We will have i-phones with international roaming but it will cost me $10 a day if I use data). you will be fine with english. it's super touristy area, they speak enough english for u to understand. 

I also want to address my wife's concerns about safety there - are there any particular risks we should be aware of, such as scams or pickpockets? How are the police there? Are there many police and are they friendly? like many places, just stay vigilant, pay attention and dont look like clueless tourist. 

We were there two weeks ago.   I had my wife, 10 y/o stepdaughter and 78 y/o mom with us. I been there quite a few times over 20 years, my wife has been with me twice before. First time for my mom and daughter.

Most hotels have free pickup by tuk-tuk at the airport.  If that's the case and the guy who picks you up seems likeable enough, I’m sure you can hire him through the hotel to drive you around to the temples for next to nothing. They have what they call the "Small Circuit" and the "Grand Circuit".  What you described it the Small Circuit.  Angkor Wat, Bayon, Ta Prohm plus some smaller sites.  "Grand Circuit" covers much of the rest.

If you want an actual guide to walk you through the temples, like 50 of them will swamp you at Angkor Wat offering guide services.  I think they are licensed but I'm a self-guided type of guy so never actually tried a guide there before. They all speak English and they have someone in their ranks who speaks about any other language you can think of.

Most of the tuk-tuks are ok but now they have the phone app "Grab" which is like Uber or Lyft for tuk-tuks.  So, you pick your destination of a map, it tells you the price and which guy will show up.  Also, for Thailand and much of SE Asia.  Install the app "Grab" on your phone.  It's a game changer in Thailand and Cambodia since often half the problem is just being able to intelligibly tell the driver where you want to go.

Not everyone speaks English but it's wide spread anyplace you would probably go.  I never needed a translation app.  Many Cambodians try to learn English and they have classes on TV and radio sometimes.

We stay kind of near (but not on) Pub Street. It's loud at night but the area has everything foreigner orientated and easy.  As far as crime? I don't think it's bad.  I think Cambodians in general do not tolerate street crime so I think a robbery or something would only be in dark quiet places where no one is around.  Scams and pickpockets? Yes.  Use ordinary vigilance and common sense.

Water and ice.  Obviously drink bottled water.  Probably any restaurant that obviously caters to foreigners would be fine whatever ice or water they serve you. I've never had trouble with ice from the local’s places but I've seen how they break up the giant blocks so I wouldn't recommend it to others.

Money, they are very picky about $20's $50's  and $100's. Chrisp, and no tears. Not even a tiny tear. $1's and $5 they aren’t so fussy about.  US Dollars are universally accepted and interchangeable with Cambodian Riel at 4000 Riel to $1.

Paying your visa on arrival at the airport they will ask you to pay in Thai Baht.  The official price in Baht is way more expensive than the price in Dollars.  That's an age-old scam but sure as anything they still tried it this time.  Just say you have no Thai Baht, only Dollars.

I just made it through there with a 78-year-old and a 10-year-old so pretty much anyone could do it.  I consider it a relatively ‘easy' destination.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
21 hours ago, Verrou said:

like many places, just stay vigilant, pay attention and dont look like clueless tourist. 

Thanks for your help!

Edited by TucsonBill

I-129f Journey:

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

AOS Journey:

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-08-27 Biometrics

Citizenship Journey:

Timeline
20 hours ago, top_secret said:

...Most of the tuk-tuks are ok but now they have the phone app "Grab" which is like Uber or Lyft for tuk-tuks. 

I have a question about "Grab" - I did download the app. My problem would be that if I am not near "Wi-Fi" I will have to use "data roaming" on my phone and Verizon will charge me $10 each day I use data, (I have international "voice" for just $10 a month). In the tourist areas like Pub Street, how prevelant is Wi-Fi at businesses? Would I be able to access Wi-Fi without having to use my data roaming? Do the places that have it normally require a password?

Thanks for your help!

I-129f Journey:

2006-10-23 NOA2

AOS Journey:

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-08-27 Biometrics

Citizenship Journey:

Personally, I would place the highest of all priorities on having mobile data.  Both for Grab and if you just need to look stuff up since it's an unfamiliar place or if you need to message anyone.  I would not rely on WiFi.  Most of the western oriented restaurants and hotels do have WiFi for their customers but you would generally have to ask for the password.

You can pick up tourist SIM cards at kiosks in the arrival hall in both Bangkok and Siem Reap airports for $6-$10 that provide data for a week, or longer for more if you need it. They will even set it up your phone for you.  It's cheap and super easy.  I'm not sure if they have any that roam in both countries but in the past I have used DTac in Thailand and Smart in Cambodia.

The Grab app is really like the greatest thing ever for South East Asia.  Like Uber or Lyft it removes all guesswork and uncertainty about getting around and is also cashless so no possibility of dispute or negotiation on pricing.  As long as you can find your destination in a search or pick it off the map you will get there even if the driver can not speak or understand a word of English.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

Timeline
1 hour ago, top_secret said:

Personally, I would place the highest of all priorities on having mobile data.  Both for Grab and if you just need to look stuff up since it's an unfamiliar place or if you need to message anyone.  I would not rely on WiFi.  Most of the western oriented restaurants and hotels do have WiFi for their customers but you would generally have to ask for the password.

You can pick up tourist SIM cards at kiosks in the arrival hall in both Bangkok and Siem Reap airports for $6-$10 that provide data for a week, or longer for more if you need it. They will even set it up your phone for you.  It's cheap and super easy.  I'm not sure if they have any that roam in both countries but in the past I have used DTac in Thailand and Smart in Cambodia.

The Grab app is really like the greatest thing ever for South East Asia.  Like Uber or Lyft it removes all guesswork and uncertainty about getting around and is also cashless so no possibility of dispute or negotiation on pricing.  As long as you can find your destination in a search or pick it off the map you will get there even if the driver can not speak or understand a word of English.

Thanks

I need to be able to make and receive calls to my regular phone so maybe another solution would be a cheap burner phone, or maybe some phone rental option, I could use while I am there. I'll do some more research.

Thanks again.

I-129f Journey:

2006-10-23 NOA2

AOS Journey:

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-08-27 Biometrics

Citizenship Journey:

17 minutes ago, TucsonBill said:

I need to be able to make and receive calls to my regular phone so maybe another solution would be a cheap burner phone, or maybe some phone rental option, I could use while I am there. I'll do some more research.

Depending on what phone you have, it might (or might not) be able to use an eSIM concurrently with a physical SIM so you can have calls on one network and data on another. Another possibility is renting pocket wifi at the airport and returning it when you leave.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

*** Removed duplicate thread in a different sub-forum.  Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.  If you post on the wrong forum or would like your thread to be moved, click the "..." (3 dots) on the upper-right corner of your post and select "Report" to send your request to a moderator.  FYI ***

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, if you get change from a vendor and it's a dirty or torn dollar bill, you won't be able to use it elsewhere because the vendors will not accept it if it's too worn (they may try to offload some of the worn currency on foreigners).  I got some change the first night from a store and they gave me a worn USD and I wasn't able to use it elsewhere.  There are ATMs around so I just had to pull some money and save the worn bill for use back home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.