cmeeks

Filling out I-130: Name Change Now or Later?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Just returned from marrying my spouse in Japan and hoping to have I-130 submitted soon. Is now the time to change her last name? I noticed the I-130 form asks for the beneficiary's current legal name. The marriage certificate still says her maiden name.

Also, what translation company/service do you recommend for translating the marriage certificate.

Ultimately the name that appears on the spouses Japanese passport will be the name that appears on the visa, green card, social security card and therefore everything derived from those documents.  Changing the name after all of those are already issued is costly and time consuming in the US.  So, if she wants to and intends to change her name, it will be a huge benefit to change her Japanese passport as soon as it is practical and just start using her married name for everything if that is the name she actually intends to use.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Best to change name now, before any paperwork is filed or much further at N-400 stage when she becomes a US citizen.

Anything in between is not as smooth compared to the two options above.

If she changes name now, she should get passport in new name, so that everything in her paperwork other than birth certificate will match.

Edited by OldUser

3 hours ago, cmeeks said:

hoping to have I-130 submitted soon

I recommend you file the I-130 ASAP, whether or not your wife has changed her name in any of her other documents.  In filling out the I-130, make sure to list both the married name and maiden name of your wife.  Either name could be under the "Other Names Used" section.  Then get a new passport listing her married name anytime before her visa interview.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Chancy said:

I recommend you file the I-130 ASAP, whether or not your wife has changed her name in any of her other documents.  In filling out the I-130, make sure to list both the married name and maiden name of your wife.  Either name could be under the "Other Names Used" section.  Then get a new passport listing her married name anytime before her visa interview.

That advice matches what I always say, except I DO recommend listing the married name as her current name, as long as she intends to change it.  Put the maiden name as the other name used.  If she intends to legally change her name on Passport etc. it will be completed before an actual USCIS officer starts adjudicating the petition.

Also, When Jane Doe, marries John Smith, the marriage certificate correctly indicates that.  She wouldn't be "Jane Smith" until AFTER the wedding.  The marriage certificate is all the evidence you need of any name change.  Here's an example.  If an American female divorcee is filing the I-130 for a foreign spouse, her birth certificate says Jane Doe, but her divorce certificate often shows Jane Smith divorcing John Smith, with no mention of the name Jane Doe.  How are we to determine the Jane Smith that divorced John Smith, is the Jane Doe, on the birth certificate?  Answer:  Provide that marriage certificate between Jane Doe and John Smith.  That's why before marriage names are on marriage certificates.

If YOU are the foreign spouse of Jane Doe SMITH, you probably married Jane Smith, not Jane Doe.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.