vladar

Why it take so long to get the interview in the embassy afther becoming DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hello, I got the message DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED in October 2022. and since then nothing happened. I heard there are big delays because of covid but even so, it's been a full 10 months. Me and my sponsors paid all the fees too. My daughter is about to turn 21 so I am a bit nervous what if nothing happens till her birthday next year? Any Idea why it takes so much? Experiences?

Thank you

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Brand new user.

@vladar Which embassy are you going through?  That can help in determining how long it will be.  Some embassies take longer than others.

Are you a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident? 

Did you petition her as your daughter (family-based) or in some other category? 

Is she married?

Sometimes someone can be documentarily qualified (DQed) and still be waiting for a visa.

You haven't filled out your timeline, so I'm trying to ask you the questions that will help everyone answer your questions.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Timeline

Thank you @Vickys_Mom.

I am the primary applicant my daughter is accompanying me and two sons are following to join.

My mother is a US citizen and she is a petitioner.

I am divorced and my daughter is not married. We are going through the US embassy in Serbia.

As asked above, what’s your Priority Date? That’s the vital bit of info. Being DQ’ed doesn’t mean anything if your Priority Date isn’t current, no interview will be scheduled until a visa is available to you. 

The current date for your category is 1st Jan 2015 so is your PD before that? 

Timeline
7 hours ago, jan22 said:

When (the full date) did your mother file the petition for you?  When did it get approved?  Can't give a good answer to you without knowing this.

Hello. Thanks for the effort.

Filed Apr 20th 2015 approved Oct 22 2022

Timeline
6 hours ago, appleblossom said:

As asked above, what’s your Priority Date? That’s the vital bit of info. Being DQ’ed doesn’t mean anything if your Priority Date isn’t current, no interview will be scheduled until a visa is available to you. 

The current date for your category is 1st Jan 2015 so is your PD before that? 

Hello. What a wonderfull bunch of people here. Didn't expect any reaction for days. Thank you.

I am not sure what Priority date is. Is it date when petition is filed? That is Apr 20th 2015.

Edited by vladar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, vladar said:

Hello. What a wonderfull bunch of people here. Didn't expect any reaction for days. Thank you.

I am not sure what Priority date is. Is it date when petition is filed? That is Apr 20th 2015.

The current visa bulletin shows F1 as January 2015, so it looks like you are getting close.

Good Luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Bulletins/visabulletin_August2023.pdf

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, vladar said:

Is it date when petition is filed? That is Apr 20th 2015.

Yes that’s the PD

Your PD is not current yet per the Visa bulletin. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-september-2023.html

As you can see from Table A category F1, applicants with PD of 1 Jan 2015 or earlier can proceed to the next step 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

The current visa bulletin shows F1 as January 2015, so it looks like you are getting close.

Good Luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Bulletins/visabulletin_August2023.pdf

Thank you. I needed this reassurance. Very nice timeline BTW

Timeline
12 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Yes that’s the PD

Your PD is not current yet per the Visa bulletin. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-september-2023.html

As you can see from Table A category F1, applicants with PD of 1 Jan 2015 or earlier can proceed to the next step 

Thank you very much. I bookmarked the link and now I have one more link to be obsessed with LOL.

I saw that Jan 1st, 2015 was PD in August as well. Do you know how long it takes to go through the month since it obviously takes more than 30 days? 

1 minute ago, vladar said:

Thank you very much. I bookmarked the link and now I have one more link to be obsessed with LOL.

You might want to bookmark this one instead so you can track when a new VB comes out and also see old ones! :) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html

1 minute ago, vladar said:

Do you know how long it takes to go through the month since it obviously takes more than 30 days? 

That’s the million dollar question. It’s hard to predict movement and it can be stuck on one date for a very long time:

- From September 2021 up until April 2023 the PD did not move and was 1 Dec 2014

- Then in May 2023 it finally moved to 14 Dec 2014

- August 2023 it did a good jump to 1 Jan 2015 but who knows how long it’ll be stuck there, hopefully not long  

Filed: Timeline

Others have already discussed your Priority Date (PD), which is the reason you haven't received an interview appointment, so I won't.

There is one piece of somewhat good news from the dates you provided, though.  Given your PD and the length of time it took USCIS to approve your petition (about 7 1/2 years, from April 2015 to Oct 2022), your daughter has some breathing room before she ages out.  The amount of time taken for petition approval is subtracted from her actual age when calculating when she would no longer qualify for an immigrant visa.  So, she will still be under 21 for visa issuance purposes until she is about 28 1/2 years old in real years.

Timeline
23 hours ago, jan22 said:

Others have already discussed your Priority Date (PD), which is the reason you haven't received an interview appointment, so I won't.

There is one piece of somewhat good news from the dates you provided, though.  Given your PD and the length of time it took USCIS to approve your petition (about 7 1/2 years, from April 2015 to Oct 2022), your daughter has some breathing room before she ages out.  The amount of time taken for petition approval is subtracted from her actual age when calculating when she would no longer qualify for an immigrant visa.  So, she will still be under 21 for visa issuance purposes until she is about 28 1/2 years old in real years.

Thank you very much. That is such useful info.

I must ask one more thing regarding my sons. They are 18 and 16 1/2 do they also have breathing room until they are 28.5 or 7 1/2 years since I get the interview date? I mean eather is enough just my curiousity.

Timeline
On 8/24/2023 at 9:47 PM, powerpuff said:

You might want to bookmark this one instead so you can track when a new VB comes out and also see old ones! :) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html

That’s the million dollar question. It’s hard to predict movement and it can be stuck on one date for a very long time:

- From September 2021 up until April 2023 the PD did not move and was 1 Dec 2014

- Then in May 2023 it finally moved to 14 Dec 2014

- August 2023 it did a good jump to 1 Jan 2015 but who knows how long it’ll be stuck there, hopefully not long  

Yes, I noticed things are pretty stuck after covid.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.