phewall

Doh! I Forgot to Send the Check!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello All,

I sent out my I-129F application to the CA Service Center on Monday 23 July, 2007. I realized on Saturday that I forgot to enclose the damn check for the application fee of $170.00. Anybody know how I can take care of this? Do I just send another seperate envelope with my name and information etc to the CA Service Center etc? Or is there a number I need to call before sending to get a reference number or something? Laguna Niguel is very close to me. I could drive there in like 30 minutes. Can I just drop by this place and give them the check? Help!

Also, I am hoping that someone will tell me that I don't have the nightmare scenario that I will have to pay the new Fees eventhough I sent my application well before the deadline. Thanks for all your help!

James Whitlatch

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, two things might happen, they might reject your application and you'll hae to send another one in (hope you made copies) or they'll ask you for the cheque

you can't drive and drop it off though..

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I suspect they will reject the petition for non-payment, and you will have to re-submit it with new fee amount. There is now way to visit CSC, and there is no way for them to get any payment that you attempt to send matched up with the petition.

Looks like you will be paying $455.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Hello All,

I sent out my I-129F application to the CA Service Center on Monday 23 July, 2007. I realized on Saturday that I forgot to enclose the damn check for the application fee of $170.00. Anybody know how I can take care of this? Do I just send another seperate envelope with my name and information etc to the CA Service Center etc? Or is there a number I need to call before sending to get a reference number or something? Laguna Niguel is very close to me. I could drive there in like 30 minutes. Can I just drop by this place and give them the check? Help!

Also, I am hoping that someone will tell me that I don't have the nightmare scenario that I will have to pay the new Fees eventhough I sent my application well before the deadline. Thanks for all your help!

James Whitlatch

James,

Am going to hazard to guess here - as stated above, they may (and I think will) reject the petition - which will mean resending and (of course) new/higher fee. I certainly hope am very wrong - but be prepared. It's worth a call to them right away however - you never know.

We wish you well... :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks for the quick responses... Does someone have the phone number I can call???

I hope these bastards don't reject the doggone application. Is it too much to ask for someone to send and email or even call me and say, hey you forgot the check, send to address etc etc...???

There has got to be a a better way...

James

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

My advice is to call NOW! Follow RFE prompts and get ahold of someone. Explain that you failed to enclose the check and that you really want to get it resolved and not refile. You probably will be at the losing end but it's worth a try.

*** Met in 2002 sometime online Yahoo messenger

*** Continued with scarce letters but many online conversations from 2002-2006

***June 2006: Went to meet mi amor in Buenos Aires and confirmed we wanted to marry (Stayed for a month)

***Nov 2006: Engagement formally announced

***March 2007: Returned to Argentina to visit for a week

***05-18-2007 I-129f Sent to NSC

***06-07-2007 NOA1 Transferred to CSC (Website)

***06-17-2006 NOA1 (Hardcopy)

***07-07-2007 Touched (Wasn't watching for prior touches...and maybe this one due to my phone call)

***Waiting...waiting...waiting

***08-03-2007 Touched (PhoneCall)

***08-06-2007 Touched

***08-23-2007 Touched

***09-13-2007 Touched (PhoneCall)

***09-14-2007 Touched

***10-08-2007 NOA2 APPROVED

***10-09-2007 Touched

***10-10-2007 Touched NICE!!!! :)

***11-07-2007 Left NVC

Timeline
Thanks for the quick responses... Does someone have the phone number I can call???

I hope these bastards don't reject the doggone application. Is it too much to ask for someone to send and email or even call me and say, hey you forgot the check, send to address etc etc...???

James

1-800-375-5283...Follow RFE prompts. Dont' stop until you talk to a person.

***June 2006: Went to meet mi amor in Buenos Aires and confirmed we wanted to marry (Stayed for a month)

***07-07-2007 Touched (Wasn't watching for prior touches...and maybe this one due to my phone call)

***08-06-2007 Touched

***08-23-2007 Touched

***09-14-2007 Touched

***10-09-2007 Touched

***11-07-2007 Left NVC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

James

1-800-375-5283

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

UGH, that really stinks! Anyway, I have seen others who have sent in the I129f without the check and the entire packet is returned. They will not issue you an RFE. Since the fee is determined by the date postmarked on the complete packet, I would be stunned if you didn't have to pay the new fee.

Timeline

RFE prompt will get you a person...Be VERY VERY VERY polite but assertive. You just want to pay the fee for your application and apologize for neglecting it.

Regards,

***08-06-2007 Touched

***08-23-2007 Touched

***09-14-2007 Touched

***10-09-2007 Touched

***11-07-2007 Left NVC

Timeline

Thanks again for the advice,

I did call the Customer Service # and spoke to a very nice lady actually. She gave me the following options.

1. Send in my check to CSC, with a note explaining what happened and the tracking # from the certified mail receipt and the date it was delivered, 25 July 2007 (The applications are initially stored in bins according to the date received, so this would make it possible for someone to find it and marry it up with the fee that I send in.) and "hope for the best."

2. Wait for the CSC to reject the package and they would send the back the application and I would then re-send with the new fee.

3. Send in a "new" application (one of my TWO back-ups I made) and the new fee, AND send a letter WITHDRAWING my previous application. The possible advantage of this strategy was that rather than wait for possible 45 days to get rejected and sent the old application, this might accelerate the process.

Any advice or comments on which option is the best? At this point, time is more valuable to me than the money involved, although I would rather lose neither if possible.

Thanks,

James

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'd call a few times more and see if option 1 is really a viable option, since I can't imagine anyone over there taking the time and effort to search for and locate your package and join up the check. Ask them if this is realistic and if they know cases where this has actually worked.

Option 3 may be best, but only if you don't pursue option 1 to try out. If your packet is rejected and you get it back, then you are starting over, but with a delay of 45+ days, not to mention you will be at the end of the line again.

My own guess is option 1 won't work and the package will be rejected because the minute they open it they are looking for the check first in the correct amount and will reject immediately off that one factor. This means for #1 above to work someone would have gone out of the way to match up your check to the package before they open it and what are the chances that is going to happen?

Timeline
Thanks again for the advice,

I did call the Customer Service # and spoke to a very nice lady actually. She gave me the following options.

1. Send in my check to CSC, with a note explaining what happened and the tracking # from the certified mail receipt and the date it was delivered, 25 July 2007 (The applications are initially stored in bins according to the date received, so this would make it possible for someone to find it and marry it up with the fee that I send in.) and "hope for the best."

2. Wait for the CSC to reject the package and they would send the back the application and I would then re-send with the new fee.

3. Send in a "new" application (one of my TWO back-ups I made) and the new fee, AND send a letter WITHDRAWING my previous application. The possible advantage of this strategy was that rather than wait for possible 45 days to get rejected and sent the old application, this might accelerate the process.

Any advice or comments on which option is the best? At this point, time is more valuable to me than the money involved, although I would rather lose neither if possible.

Thanks,

James

If it were me, I'd take what's behind door #2. You won't get an NOA1 without them cashing the check, so its the first thing they look for. When they discover there is no check, the package WILL BE rejected and sent immediately back to you. When you get it back, enclose the check with the new fee and send it on back.

Option # 1 will never work. NEVER. In all of the reading I have done on this forum, not once have I seen reports of stuff being matched up to the petition that was sent to the service center unsolicited.

Option 3 is viable, but please bear in mind it will not take 45 days to get the application back. And having to "withdraw" the original petition likely will not be required since they will have not taken action on the file other than to send it back to you. However, IF that petition is considered an actual filing, are you willing to risk an IMBRA RFE for multiple filings? Just some food for thought.

Timeline

I tried to edit, but was a bit too late. I just wanted to add that if you look through the RFE thread stickied at the top of the K1 forum you'll notice, if you look at signature timelines for those with similar situations, that the return of the package only took a few days from the receipt of the packet at the service center. So I shall reiterate, Option # 2 is the best option, in my opinion. You must do what you believe is best for you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

James

With all respect...you just started the process, why call them "bastards" already?

aaand...

is it too much to ask for you to add the check to your application in the first place? I think the mistake is clearly on your side, why should they take action in your behalf?

I know they make it difficult at times, but if you forget to add your check, sorry, It think there is no reason to get mad at them for not calling you for a reminder.

I hope though that somehow you will get around to pay the higher fees, but I honestly doubt it. From what I have read so far when people have forgotten the check, the application got rejected and they had to resend it. I don't think they have much sympathy for that, not normally and not regarding the fee increase you might face.

Good luck on your journey!!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.