monnik

A question about green in Islam

20 posts in this topic

All of the mosques that I have seen here in Egypt are illuminated at night with green lights. Why is that? Does the color have any significance in Islam? I noticed that it is the color of some countries' flags, too. Pakistan and KSA are a couple that come to mind.

Does anyone know or have a link?

Thanks

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Our neighbors are muslim and they have two daughters that go an Islamic school. The girls often come over and play when we have kids at our house. I had some playdough for them and one of the girls kept mixing all the playdough to be green. I finally asked her why she kept doing that and her reply was that green is the prophet's favorite color. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Our neighbors are muslim and they have two daughters that go an Islamic school. The girls often come over and play when we have kids at our house. I had some playdough for them and one of the girls kept mixing all the playdough to be green. I finally asked her why she kept doing that and her reply was that green is the prophet's favorite color. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

I guess that reason would be a good one. Do the mosques in other countries have green lights also?

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

I guess that reason would be a good one. Do the mosques in other countries have green lights also?

To be honest I never noticed it and actually I can't say that I paid attention. I had never heard what the little girl told before and honestly I have no idea how credible it is since she is only 6, lol.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Green is considered the traditional color of Islam, likewise because of its association with nature.

* Muhammad is reliably quoted in a hadith as saying that "water, greenery, and a beautiful face" were three universally good things.

* In the Qur'an, sura Al-Insan, believers in Allah in Jannah wear fine green silk.[10][11]

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green#Religion

Edited by melly

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

* Muhammad is reliably quoted in a hadith as saying that "water, greenery, and a beautiful face" were three universally good things.

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green#Religion

That's actually a verse from the Quran I thought?

But melly is on track...Green has always been associated with Islam, whether its the Prophet who was said to wear a green turban, the battle flags of Islam, the emphasis of nature and the earth in the Quran (Blue representing Heavan), etc. etc.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I found this explanation at :

http://www89.homepage.villanova.edu/elana....ages/greens.htm

"In the Arab world, green is linked with the prophet Mohammed, who declared it his favorite color; his cloak and turban are often green. Even today only his direct successors, the caliphs, are permitted to wear green turbans. The Holy Banner, the most precious relic of Islam, is green with golden embroidery. Mohammed supposedly carried this very banner into the Holy War which resulted in conquering Mecca. Green is also the predominating color in the Arabs’ vision of Paradise, representing flowering fields and lush oases. Green is the color of the Arabic League and many Arabic countries have included green in their national flags – Libya’s is solid green -- symbolizing unity among Arab nations. "

Hope that answers it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Maybe 'cause green is the color of plants and plants give oxygen so they hope to have more oxygen to offset the exhaust fumes coming from all the cars in Egypt. :lol::lol:

That or what Melly said.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Thanks everybody! I was just curious. I knew there had to be some kind of reason that ALL of the lights are green. (which are beautiful, I might add) I asked my husband and he didn't know, but he did offer up the theory that green is the color of his eyes and Egypt really admires him for it. :huh: - Whatever!

Thanks again. (F)

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaam/Hello/Salut

Traditionally green is an Islamic symbol just like the cresent star. The significance of the colour green in the Arabic world is even older than Pr. Mohammed (saw). Green has been in ancient history, the predominating colour in the green belt of Syria to Yemen, Djenna (paradise) where it stands for flowery fields and eternal oasis. And the colour associated with nature, things natural and growth. Green is also the life-giving colour of all desert peoples. Thus, Islam being the natural path of Allah (God) our Creator ... green is the favoured colour.

Prophet Mohammed (saw) who himself declared green his favourite colour and who's cloak and turban were green. Even today only his direct successors - the Kaliphs - are allowed to wear a green turban. The Holy Banner - the most precious relic of Islam - is green with golden embroidery. Mohammed supposedly carried this very banner into the defense which resulted in conquering Mecca.Green is also the colour of the Arabic League and many Arabic countries have included green in their national flags as it symbolizes the unity of all arabic nations.

Inside the Kaa'ba, the top part of the interior walls are clad with a green cloth decorated with gold embroidered Qur'anic verses.

The Qur'an (18:59-81) depicts the legendary Islamic saint al-Chadir (al-Khidir) meaning the "verdant" shaman-like spirit Green Man leading Moses and Alexander the Great, as well as nomads of the desert towards water and accompanying travelers on their way. The legend describes the journey of al Chadir through the Land of Darkness until he arrived at a bright white rock. All other travelers were thrown down from this rock but al-chadir was allowed to ascend and reach the "Source of Life". After drinking the precious water his cloak became green and he reached immortality.

Edited by Henia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

.... and further info on the above...

The Arabic word al-khadir means 'green'; the honorific name al-Khidr consequently means 'The Green One'. According to the Alexander Romance, after Khidr dove into the Water of Life — which he had found by using a shining jewel brought from Paradise by the prophet Adam — "all the flesh of his body became bluish-green and his garments likewise". In the Ethiopian version of the Romance,, he is told: "You are Khidr: wherever your feet touch, the earth will become green".

I know that the green color was not used to often in antique oriental carpets because it was consider as a holly color.

Very true observation apple. I never even thought about that...lol

Yeah, that's another interesting fact. Thanks you guys for posting those great historical explanations! I maybe could have googled it, but I wanted to get you guys' input. :thumbs:

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.