Arvinda

Did you have to surrender your UK/home country licence?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I have a UK driving license and have been driving on it here in Georgia. I am a perm resident. I went to take my test for a GA license on the weekend. I passed the written and then went to book the practical - they told me that I would have to surrender my UK license in order to get the GA license. That I would also be given a learners permit until I got the GA license. They also said they would not return it to me despite the fact that I said I needed it to drive in the UK. I know they make drivers from other states do this but felt it quite ridiculous to have them take away a UK license. Has anyone had this problem? I now wish I had not presented my UK license to them. Please help! :help:

Edited by Arvinda

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

That really is one of the stupidest things I've heard :( I wouldn't have even told them I had a UK license.

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

That really is one of the stupidest things I've heard :( I wouldn't have even told them I had a UK license.

Many states have a law that says that you cannot have more than one valid license.

In CA, they did not take away my Polish license, but they marked it as invalid in the DMV system, so I won't be able to use it in this state.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was reading in my California DMV book that they would take my Canadian license so I was all prepared to hand it over... after I did and passed my road test I went inside to fill out the appropriate paperwork and the lady asked for my license and then took some info off of it and handed it back to me... I asked her if I was able to keep it and she said yes :blink: ..I guess she didn't read the handbook...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

so you can't drive in the UK with a US license?? :unsure:

Yeah I guess I can drive with the US license. I just can't understand why I can't just keep my UK one. I like the idea of them just marking it in their system as invalid, maybe I will go back and suggest that to them. So annoying!! :angry: If anyone else has had this happen particularly in GA let me know!

My Canadian license was returned to me in Florida.

I have just returned from Canada to renew my Ontario license on the advice of an officer at the Canadian passport office (who immigrated from France). He advised me not to let my Canadian ID's lapse as it would be much harder to obtain new ones should I ever return to Canada.

It's unfortunate that the DMV kept your UK license. Is it possible for you to obtain another?

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Yes you can drive in the UK on a US license but not a Manual car only automatic and if you are hiring a car you will pay higher rental prices for a automatic and you will pay higher insurance...

Kez

Since when? :unsure:

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Saturday I went for the Maryland driving license, I showed my Romanian driving license but after I passed the exams I got it back. Actually they told me to use my Romanian driving license with the receipt from MVA when I drive until I get the Maryland driving license (30 days).

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I was told I could drive on my US license for 1 year in the UK- but no one said I couldn't drive stick :P

But yeah, I can see surrendering state licenses if you no longer reside in the state - that's what $36 to refile at most? But UK licenses are a little more expensive than state to state licenses, are needed in some cases to drive a vehicle with a specific type of transmission at times as someone said, and as you're not giving up your UK citizenship to drive in the US makes little sense to have to surrender to me :P

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

I also had to surrender my UK drivers licence when I took my test in Georgia.

08/15/08 I-751 submitted to VSC

10/01/08 Biometrics completed

03/02/09 Case transferred to CSC

04/04/2009 Received approval letter

03/31/2009 Date of Decision

05/01/2009 Card production ordered

05/07/2009 Received card

In matters of style,

swim with the current;

in matters of principle,

stand like a rock.

- Thomas Jefferson

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to surrender my Canadian license when I went to pick up my Oklahoma DL. I was kinda sad to give mine up, but the girls at the tag agency loved it, they thought it was pretty. :P

They don't take too kindly to people having multiple IDs in various names (the Canadian DL was in my maiden name) or from various states/countries. It's a security issue in their eyes.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.