Arvinda

Did you have to surrender your UK/home country licence?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I live in CA and I do not have to surrender my license, and I never would!!!! unless the CA DMV would refund my 800 Euros for driving school, the 100 Euros for the DL and fees for it, and a future 1500 Euros to retake the classes and exams in Germany in case I go back (with AF hubbie not so unlikely). Really, that's BS and I would never ever go for it. Just in case now I will not bring my German license to the practical test. It's worth so much more and for rental reasons in Germany a golden asset (you pay way less and can drive - oh my dear - a stick shift). *shakemyhead*

Just don't tell them - like my friend with 3 citizenships which Germany technically doesn't allow - just don't tell.

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Yes you can drive in the UK on a US license but not a Manual car only automatic and if you are hiring a car you will pay higher rental prices for a automatic and you will pay higher insurance...

Kez

Since when? :unsure:

Try renting a car in the UK with a US license and you will only be allowed to rent a Automatic... unless your license says you are authorized to drive a manual.... same in the UK if you pass your test in an automatic then you can only drive an automatic... and foreign license holders pay higher insurance than UK license holders....

Kez

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can rent a manual shift auto in the UK using a US license. I have done it! Unless Scotland has different rules than England ... I rented in Scotland. However, I do think the rental rates could be higher using a foreign license. My husband is hoping to get his NC drivers license soon but we are trying to figure out how to avoid giving up his UK license ... possibly not bringing to the exam ... in NC they don't count driving experience outside of the US and Canada (UK drivers are considered to have 0 years of driving experience) so don't see why he would need to show his drivers license from the UK.

Married : 08-04-2006, Cumbria, England

I-130

09-01-2006: Filed I-130 application

09-18-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email)!!

I-129F (K-3)

09-19-2006: Filed I-129F application

10-13-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email ... by mail on Feb. 5)!!

02-13-2007: received at NVC and sent to London Embassy

02-16-2007: received by London Embassy

02-27-2007: received and mailed back Packet 3

03-12-2007: Medical completed

03-15-2007: received email from Embassy providing interview date

03-19-2007: Packet 4 received by mail

04-18-2007: interview - approved!!!

04-21-2007: visa delivered

04-24-2007: husband arrives in US

04-27-2007: to civil surgeon for vaccination supplement

AOS & EAD

05-04-2007: Filed I-485 & I-765

05-11-2007: NOA for both (received by mail May 15)

05-16-2007: notice mailed for biometric appointment (received by mail May 21)

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

06-13-2007: biometric appointment

07-20-2007: EAD card production ordered

12-13-2007: interview & approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
so you can't drive in the UK with a US license?? :unsure:

Yeah I guess I can drive with the US license. I just can't understand why I can't just keep my UK one. I like the idea of them just marking it in their system as invalid, maybe I will go back and suggest that to them. So annoying!! :angry: If anyone else has had this happen particularly in GA let me know!

I believe your UK one is now invalid unless you still live at the address on it, as it is not possible to have the address changed to other than a UK residence.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes you can drive in the UK on a US license but not a Manual car only automatic and if you are hiring a car you will pay higher rental prices for a automatic and you will pay higher insurance...

Kez

Since when? :unsure:

Try renting a car in the UK with a US license and you will only be allowed to rent a Automatic... unless your license says you are authorized to drive a manual.... same in the UK if you pass your test in an automatic then you can only drive an automatic... and foreign license holders pay higher insurance than UK license holders....

Kez

Maybe it dffers from rental company to rental company but Jamal was offered a manual car in the UK on a US license, but he cant drive manual so he had to get an automatic.

OUR K-1 VISA JOURNEY

K1 Application

12-01-2006 I-129F sent priority USPS to CSC ... the real journey begins! (Day 1)

12-06-2006 NOA1 (Day 4)

03-05-2007 NOA2 - YAY!! (Day 89))

05-04-2007 INTERVIEW!!!!!! - APPROVED! (Day 149)

05-10-2007 Visa received (Day 155)

05-17-2007 ARRIVED IN PHOENIX (Day 162)

05-25-2007 Applied SSN

06-04-2007 Received SSN in the mail

06-14-2007 Passed driving test and now have my license

07-12-2007 MARRIED

07-24-2007 Changed name with SSA

AOS

05-31-2007 Appointment with Civil Surgeon for I-693A

07-16-2007 AOS sent to Chicago (received 07-18) (Day 1)

07-27-2007 NOA1 date (received 8/1) (Day 9)

07-30-2007 Check cashed (Day 12)

08-14-2007 Biometrics (Day 28)

11-29-2007 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! (Day 131) APPROVED

12-11-2007 Greencard Received

ROC

09-01-2009 I-751 sent to VSC (received 09-03) (Day 1)

09-04-2009 NOA Date (received 09-14) (Day 4)

09-08-2009 Check Cashed (Day 8)

10-05-2009 Biometrics @ Jackson MS (received 09-24) (Day 35)

01-08-2010 10 Year Greencard approved

01-19-2010 10 Year Greencard received

glitterfy011155737dkj7.gif glitterfy011545702wxh7.gif

Hi, I have a UK driving license and have been driving on it here in Georgia. I am a perm resident. I went to take my test for a GA license on the weekend. I passed the written and then went to book the practical - they told me that I would have to surrender my UK license in order to get the GA license. That I would also be given a learners permit until I got the GA license. They also said they would not return it to me despite the fact that I said I needed it to drive in the UK. I know they make drivers from other states do this but felt it quite ridiculous to have them take away a UK license. Has anyone had this problem? I now wish I had not presented my UK license to them. Please help! :help:

Just tell them you lost it. What are they going to do?

This is simply untrue Kez. I have rented cars in the UK lots of times with my US license, and got a manual every time.

Filed: Timeline

I tried all the rental offices at Glasgow airport last sept and was told sorry auto only... until I showed my UK license.... the it was what car would you like and oh the rates I quoted you are for foreign license holders....

I had my UK license changed to my parents address when I left....

Kez

This is simply untrue Kez. I have rented cars in the UK lots of times with my US license, and got a manual every time.

Same here. There has been no question about manual vs auto and the rates were no higher whether I had a UK or US license. You can usually get better insurance through the credit card you pay with anyway.

My US neighbors go to Ireland every year and hire a manual and they always complain about it, but that is all the car rental place has!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

I tried all the rental offices at Glasgow airport last sept and was told sorry auto only... until I showed my UK license.... the it was what car would you like and oh the rates I quoted you are for foreign license holders....

They were taking you for a ride. The only reason they would insist that is because they charge more for automatics. I must have rented a car 5 times in the UK on my US license and was never told "automatic only". If they did say that I would have certainly given them a piece of my mind because I took my US test in a manual and drive a manual.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband had to surrender his when he got his license. Here in GA he was given a regular driver's permit...no learner's permit good for five years. Not sure why the OP was issued a learner's.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to surrender my PEI driver's licence to CT DMV.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband had to surrender his when he got his license. Here in GA he was given a regular driver's permit...no learner's permit good for five years. Not sure why the OP was issued a learner's.

because in some States you have to take the written exam and a road test...

here in California I had to take the written test and then they gave me a learner's permit.... I had to go back a few months later and take the road test and then I got my license...

also about keeping the old license... how would you keep them up to date?? they do expire... don't you need to be a resident of the country to update your license??

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Some states will swap certain licenses for full US licenses. Your husband is Canadian so its likely that the state simply see this like just another out of state license.

Most foriegners however have to take a full drivers test to get a new license. Given this, I don't see the point of surrendering your old license, as you basically have to start from scratch anyway.

also about keeping the old license... how would you keep them up to date?? they do expire... don't you need to be a resident of the country to update your license??

I have a UK license that expires in 2063.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Some states will swap certain licenses for full US licenses. Your husband is Canadian so its likely that the state simply see this like just another out of state license.

Most foriegners however have to take a full drivers test to get a new license. Given this, I don't see the point of surrendering your old license, as you basically have to start from scratch anyway.

I have a UK license that expires in 2063.

ok... so a UK license lasts a long time then?? In Canada they have to be renewed every few years... i think it is every 5 years or so.....

and it is not that difficult to get a license in the US , so not sure about the start from scratch comment :lol: you just have to take a written test and a quick eye exam and then the road test....

i am assuming it is more difficult to get a license in the UK...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.