10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi i need to file my AOS within the next week. Adjusting from my K1 and have a few questions if anyone can help, they might seem a bit silly but i just want to make sure im filling them in correctly. Also I am still waiting on my marriage certificate, will this have my married surname on it?

I-485:

current legal name- do i use my now married surname for this and then put my maiden name in other names you have had? Assuming the name i use if i use my married name will be whats going to be on my green card when issued? 
then for immigration history details it asks for passport number on arrival, travel document number on arrival, expiration of passport or travel document and country that issued passport or travel document- question is do i use passport or k1 visa details for this section or does it not matter which one i use?

status on form I94- would i write k1?

what is your current immigration status ? Do i write k1? 
And to sign off on the form, if i want to use my new married surname do i use a signature with that name or do i use my maiden name / usual signature as it is what is on my passport? Sorry if these sound dumb, I’ve not had to change my name before.

I-765: 

full legal name- do i use my now married surname 

again asks for my immigration status on arrival which is k1 and current immigration status- still k1 as i am still to file my AOS etc? And same with the signature i should use to sign off on 

I-131:

name i use (does not ask for previous used names)

Part 7- Advanced parole travel info?

i dont have any trips planned so do i still fill this in, want it just incase of family emergency mainly ?

IMG_4177.thumb.jpeg.dfe363bb1fdf380ecd889b23fd048ffe.jpeg

and finally 

I-693:

i had my medical and all my vaccinations ticked off complete before my k1 interview and have my DS3025 to attach to this. 
what parts of this form do i complete and not complete.

if anyone can help clarify would be great. Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Skye841 said:

Hi i need to file my AOS within the next week. Adjusting from my K1 and have a few questions if anyone can help, they might seem a bit silly but i just want to make sure im filling them in correctly. Also I am still waiting on my marriage certificate, will this have my married surname on it?

Maybe, maybe not.

I-485:

current legal name- do i use my now married surname for this and then put my maiden name in other names you have had? Assuming the name i use if i use my married name will be whats going to be on my green card when issued? 

If you fill out the I485/I131/I765 with your new married name and use your maiden name in the other names used section, any cards (GC/AP/EAD) you get will use the married name even if it is not explicit on the marriage certificate.

then for immigration history details it asks for passport number on arrival, travel document number on arrival, expiration of passport or travel document and country that issued passport or travel document- question is do i use passport or k1 visa details for this section or does it not matter which one i use?

Use your passport number where it asks along with the relevant expiration.  You use "N/A" for the travel document.

"K1 Visa Holder"

If nothing has changed you can use "N/A" (i.e. are you submitting before your I94 expires?)

And to sign off on the form, if i want to use my new married surname do i use a signature with that name or do i use my maiden name / usual signature as it is what is on my passport?

Use your new signature on all forms.

Sorry if these sound dumb, I’ve not had to change my name before.

I-765: 

again asks for my immigration status on arrival which is k1 and current immigration status- still k1 as i am still to file my AOS etc? And same with the signature i should use to sign off on 

I-131:

i dont have any trips planned so do i still fill this in, want it just incase of family emergency mainly ?

and finally 

I-693:

i had my medical and all my vaccinations ticked off complete before my k1 interview and have my DS3025 to attach to this. 

These sample forms may be helpful, but keep in mind they may be on older versions of the forms.

Good Luck!

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-485.pdf

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-131.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I-485:

current legal name : whichever you want to use as ur legal name for the immigration purposes. if u want to take ur spouse last name, then put it like that so u will get GC with married name. 

if u use passport (like majority people here when they entered USA), then leave travel document blank. u cant fill up both. it's either. u confused urself. travel document is replacement for passport. ur K1 visa is visa and not replacement for travel document. 

yes

i will put AOS. or K1 to AOS. doenst really matter much

And to sign off on the form, if i want to use my new married surname do i use a signature with that name or do i use my maiden name / usual signature as it is what is on my passport? Sorry if these sound dumb, I’ve not had to change my name before.

signature doesnt have to contain surname. most people's signature is scriblled barely readable. u dont need to change ur signature. 

I-131:

just write TBD or just pick random months. it doesnt really matter

Edited by HaroKitty

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

These sample forms may be helpful, but keep in mind they may be on older versions of the forms.

Good Luck!

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-485.pdf

https://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-131.pdf

Thank you for your helpful responses.😊

on the I-485 do you know what the receipt number for underlying petition would be? Not my I-129f as thats already been approved?  I added a screenshot incase you or anyone else knows what this one is

IMG_4180.thumb.jpeg.e89baeaedf795236ee869307f10524b4.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Skye841 said:

on the I-485 do you know what the receipt number for underlying petition would be? Not my I-129f as thats already been approved?  I added a screenshot incase you or anyone else knows what this one is

For you it would be “N/A”.  That is if someone is adjusting status with an I-130 already in place.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Skye841 said:

I-485:

I-765: 

I-131:

and finally 

I-693:

I-485:

Name: Use married name, put maiden name under other names used. Copy of marriage certificate will cover the name change.

Passport/Travel Document: Put in the passport number, leave travel document # blank, for expiration put the passport expiration date. (Travel document # is for cases when you entered US on something other than a passport (e.g. Border Crossing Card, Refugee Travel Document, Green Card, Re-entry permit, Advance Parole, any of the WHTI documents, Enhanced Driver's License, etc)).

Status on I-94: K-1

Current status: K-1

Signature: In US your signature is whatever you want, only thing that USCIS wants is that you stay consistent (i.e. use the same signature throughout, and on any follow up letters or privacy releases), so sign with the married name.

I-765:

Full legal name: Yes, use the married name

Immigration status: K-1

One important thing, for the question 27 put (c)(9)( ), NOT (a)(6).

I-131:

Just put ASAP for the planned date (print it out and pen it in)

In the purpose of the trip just say what you said here, you want in case of emergency.

19 hours ago, Skye841 said:

Put the receipt# of the I-129F.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

*** Moved from AOS Progress Reports to AOS from K1 Visas forum ***

On 7/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, Skye841 said:

on the I-485 do you know what the receipt number for underlying petition would be?

Your underlying petition for the I-485 would be your approved I-129F.  Put the receipt number from your I-129F receipt or approval notice.  For the Priority Date, you may use the I-129F priority date or receipt date or filing date.  Make sure to include a copy of your I-129F receipt or approval notice in your I-485 package.

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Timeline
9 hours ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from AOS Progress Reports to AOS from K1 Visas forum ***

Your underlying petition for the I-485 would be your approved I-129F.  Put the receipt number from your I-129F receipt or approval notice.  For the Priority Date, you may use the I-129F priority date or receipt date or filing date.  Make sure to include a copy of your I-129F receipt or approval notice in your I-485 package.

Thank you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.