Maju

English for Kids

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hopefully SOON my fiancée and her daughter will be coming to the US. They are from Peru(Spanish). The daughter is 3 and knows no English. I was wondering if anyone could tell me any information about programs in the US for teaching kids English. Has anyone sent their kids to school without knowing English? If someone could direct me to some websites would help. I live in Bucks County Pennsylvania.

Thank you

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hopefully SOON my fiancée and her daughter will be coming to the US. They are from Peru(Spanish). The daughter is 3 and knows no English. I was wondering if anyone could tell me any information about programs in the US for teaching kids English. Has anyone sent their kids to school without knowing English? If someone could direct me to some websites would help. I live in Bucks County Pennsylvania.

Thank you

Maybe check with the local school system there and see if they can advise you if there's anyone or organisation (such as preschools, daycares, etc.) that can help. I teach school here in Georgia and we have had, in the past, some students who came to us knowing VERY little English. Our school system has ESL teachers to help them with this. Maybe there will be a Spanish teacher in that system that would agree to tutor her.

Personally, and please understand this is just my opinion, I think it would be a bad idea to send her to school, once she's of age, without learning some english. It will not only help her teacher be able to educate her, but the little girl might not feel so frustrated at not knowing the language and in essence, not learn anything from an educational standpoint.

Best of luck...and I hope the wait for them isn't long!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Three is a great age for learning languages. When it comes to young children, they will learn very fast from everything they hear. Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, Dragon Tales - all integrate English and Spanish. Leap Frog reading tools and programs are also beneficial and some integrate English and Spanish. You can find them at Walmart here in PA.

When we lived in the Scotland, every sunday morning they had Bob the Builder, and some other kids shows in Gaelic, our boys insisted upon watching them, and they would sing the theme song in Gaelic. I'm sure your soon to be step daughter will learn very quickly just from watching shows on PBS, and using tools like Leap Frog, and even just from interacting with you and your fiancee.

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Thank you

Maju,

I would think that at age 3, the best path would be to expose her to as much English around the home as possible - meaning, speaking English a majority of the time - it should be natural for her to pick it up without the use of a special teacher.

At this age - language development is still in full-force, and a child will pick up whichever language(s) the parents are speaking. (They learn almost inherently what an adult would need schools/books/tapes, etc to learn.) :thumbs:

She's at the age where learning a language is like a piece of cake for them. Just expose her to lot of kids who speak english and you'll be amazed how fast the daughter will pick things up. Specially if she goes to daycare and interact with other kids, so if your wife will be at home, she can go to a part time day care to give her that exposure by the time it's time for her to go to 1st grade, she''' speak like she was born here.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Maju,

I would think that at age 3, the best path would be to expose her to as much English around the home as possible - meaning, speaking English a majority of the time - it should be natural for her to pick it up without the use of a special teacher.

At this age - language development is still in full-force, and a child will pick up whichever language(s) the parents are speaking. (They learn almost inherently what an adult would need schools/books/tapes, etc to learn.) :thumbs:

I actually disagree with speaking English in the home to a Spanish speaking child. It might have the effect of making her lose her Spanish language skills. Nursery would be a much better option in my opinion, there she will be able to pick up enough English by the time she's ready for school, and Spanish at home will keep her fluent.

What she needs to do is gain English but not at the expense of her Spanish.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thank you

I am an English as a Second Language Teacher "ESL" in an elementary school. According to the "No Child Left Behind Act" she is eligible to have Limited English Proficient/Second Language Services. We have programs for three year olds here where I teach. Sometimes they are pre-school, or headstart, etc. or a summer program. She has a better chance of getting in if she's LEP. Spots fill up fast. She may qualify for migrant programs. You would need to check into that. Also, some churches offer these programs. She definitely will be able to get into Pre-K when she's four. Depending on how many immigrants you have in the area there may be a Pre-K with lots of other immigrant children. Anyway, there should be a teacher there who either pulls her out of class or pushes in to her class to help her learn English and be able to adjust. I'm glad that you are thinking about it already.

Most of my students speak English and Spanish but they know academic or school related words in English and a lot of home words in Spanish. Even when they appear bi-lingual they may not be. It's difficult to know this when you're speaking to a child and they have no accent when using English. Studies show it take a second language learner five years or more to truly catch up to their classmates.

Also, most of them speak Spanish fluently but only read and write in English. It also takes them a while to be able to go back and forth. Some of the children can speak both perfectly but can't seem to interpret back and forth. Others have this skill early on.

One major problem with young learners is: the alphabet, mostly vowels

for example: e is pronounced "ay" in Spanish and "ee" in English. i is "ee" in Spanish. One of my students had a very difficult time when his mother started helping him at home with his alphabet. We would teach him the English pronunciation and she would teach him the Spanish pronunciation. We'd like to think that he could learn both at the same time but they usually can't. Because he didn't know his sounds he then couldn't go to the next step of learning to put together English words and ended up being retained for not being able to read.

At first I thought retaining students because of this was a bad idea but after some experience and working with struggling students who are in grades 3,4, &5 it would have benefited them to be retained in one of the lower grades where they learn the alphabet (preferrably first grade). In the regular classroom, after second grade, it's all about content and vocabulary. In third grade in Virginia you're learning about ancient Greece, Rome, and Mali.

Teacher

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.