ScottnCati

Passport info after we marry

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi All,

What happens to my fiancee's Brazilian passport after we marry here in the States? Once we marry, she will take my last name and legally all her doucuments will show her with my last name.

When we file for Advance Parole so we can travel back to Brazil, her passport will not match any documentation given after we marry. Will she be given some sort of document to verride the name differences?

Thx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Isn't advance parole stamped onto the existing passport? That is still her official documentation with her picture and she is still a citizen of her original country. The US won't check when she leaves and her documents to enter her home country will obviously allow her entry back. The only part she has to worry about is to make sure the advance parole is documented and she is allowed back into the US.

Even with a green card, her driver's license in the correct state, SS card updated to the married name, she still isn't a citizen. I guess you could inquire on if it even matters to get her name changed on her passport, however if the plan is to get naturalized in a few years carrying the passport, green card, and a copy of the marriage certificate should be enough until she is a full US citizen.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My advise is... contact the Embassy of Brazil and inquire how to update the passport. Ensure that Advance Parole or the Green Card is in hand or stamped into the Passport before leaving the country. I don't know the procedure but back home in Ireland I think they take your old passport, clip off the edges and void it.. then return it with or shortly after you get the new one. Any stamps like I-551 or Advance Parole will still be valid.

Another thing to note is.. if you want to travel back to Brazil without the name change on the passport just ensure that the name on the airline tickets match that in the passport or else there could be trouble.

Good luck! :yes:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

You can still use your old passport. A copy of your marriage certificate should be sufficient to show a name change. From what I understand is that your plane ticket must match your passport name, even if its not the name you are currently using.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You can still use your old passport. A copy of your marriage certificate should be sufficient to show a name change. From what I understand is that your plane ticket must match your passport name, even if its not the name you are currently using.

The bolded above is the key issue. If you want an official name change, then her Brazilian Passport will need changing too. Check with the Brazilian Embassy in the US's website for how to do that if you really want a new passport for her.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.