33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Redro said:

Maybe someone from India can give more information but is should be sufficient? 

Just make sure to write down all the previous names your mom used on the I-130! 

i was thinking of same name document and getting it notarized cuz her passport has new name but my bc has old name

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

sure thanks Redro

I still have this confusion and question around the I 130 and I 485 process

does I 485 have to applied with I 130 or can be filed later ?

scenario being that am filing I 130 now in July when my mom will be gone back to india.

if she visits me again lets say dec 2023 can i file for her I 485 then ?

2 hours ago, Dan&Carol said:

sure thanks Redro

scenario being that am filing I 130 now in July when my mom will be gone back to india.

Entering the US on a non immigrant visa (tourist visa) with the intention of adjusting status (filing i485) is immigration fraud. 
If your mother leaves this July and you file the I130 you will wait about 12 months for the I130 to be approved. 
Then she will complete DS260 and you will complete the I864. 
After those documents are accepted she will wait to be called for an interview at the embassy. I believe the complete time from filing I130 to interview will be about 24 months. So, July 2025 your mother will receive her immigrant visa. 
She can still visit you in December 2023 but each entry is up to CBP. If they think she is entering to stay in the US they won’t allow her to enter the US and she will have to return to India. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dan&Carol said:

sure thanks Redro

if you are planning on doing the AOS while she is currently in the US, you can file them together, or add the I485 later while she is here.

If she plans to go back, the I485 will not come into play.

No.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Thankyou

4 hours ago, Redro said:

Entering the US on a non immigrant visa (tourist visa) with the intention of adjusting status (filing i485) is immigration fraud. 
If your mother leaves this July and you file the I130 you will wait about 12 months for the I130 to be approved. 
Then she will complete DS260 and you will complete the I864. 
After those documents are accepted she will wait to be called for an interview at the embassy. I believe the complete time from filing I130 to interview will be about 24 months. So, July 2025 your mother will receive her immigrant visa. 
She can still visit you in December 2023 but each entry is up to CBP. If they think she is entering to stay in the US they won’t allow her to enter the US and she will have to return to India. 

is there a problem in her regular visit if we file I 130 now ?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Dashinka said:

if you are planning on doing the AOS while she is currently in the US, you can file them together, or add the I485 later while she is here.

If she plans to go back, the I485 will not come into play.

No.

thank you Dash. is it better to file I 130 and I 485 together when she is here ? does filing I 485 with I 130 make process any faster ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dan&Carol said:

thank you Dash. is it better to file I 130 and I 485 together when she is here ? does filing I 485 with I 130 make process any faster ?

See comments above.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

See comments above.

didn't see your comments but again the question why would someone file I 130 with the I 485 if person travelling have to go back within 6 months of there stay date?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dan&Carol said:

didn't see your comments but again the question why would someone file I 130 with the I 485 if person travelling have to go back within 6 months of there stay date?

They were not my comments, she is not adjusting I 485 is used where people are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They were not my comments, she is not adjusting I 485 is used where people are.

ok the question remains same why would someone file I 130 with the I 485 if person travelling have to go back within 6 months of there stay date?

does filing I 130 with I 485 make the process any faster ?

Timeline

They wouldn't.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They wouldn't.

got it thanks so can she still travel to states on b1/b2 visa while I 130 is in process ?

Timeline

Filing the I 130 should not impact visits.

18 hours ago, Dan&Carol said:

why would someone file I 130 with the I 485 if person travelling have to go back within 6 months of there stay date?

Filing adjustment of status puts you in authorized stay. That means the person can (and pretty much has to) wait out their time inside the US. If they leave before AP or the greencard is approved, the whole process is considered abandoned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.