TBoneTX

The Big IR-1/CR-1 DQ'd Message Group (Part V)

798 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok friends. I'm T-4 days to my interview. I've been checking a bunch of different lists for the docs I need and it looks like I'm in line with everything. I uploaded a couple of additional things to CEAC such as a work visa that they didn't ask for initially in the NVC stage (I have two and the only asked for the most recent one so I uploaded the first one for good measure) as well as some additional evidence like plane tickets and a couple of pictures of us. 

Here are my quick clarifying questions:

• I saw that alongside the 1040 and W2 (Which I have for 2022 - alongside W2s from 2020 and 2021) I will need proof of status. I'm fine with just a copy of their passport, correct? Or should I have something else? 
  • Do they ever ask to see the physical copy of pictures? Just need to know if I have to bring my butt down to staples and get copies made. 

Thanks in advance!! 

On 8/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, nap782 said:

We have been DQ since May 9 2023 and still have heard nothing yet. Hoping to hear something soon.

May 9 is our DQ date as well. Have not seen any updates on CEAC or received an interview letter. Still says our case is at NVC. Hoping we’re part of the batch this month.

One thing we’re hoping for, but it’s purely speculation: our 2 year marriage anniversary is mid October. so we could qualify switching from CR1 to IR1 if the interview/approval comes after that date. I have no idea if the folks at NVC/Montreal would spot that and sequence the the interview to facilitate the IR1 instead. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/5/2023 at 7:48 AM, llcoolwil said:

Ok friends. I'm T-4 days to my interview. I've been checking a bunch of different lists for the docs I need and it looks like I'm in line with everything. I uploaded a couple of additional things to CEAC such as a work visa that they didn't ask for initially in the NVC stage (I have two and the only asked for the most recent one so I uploaded the first one for good measure) as well as some additional evidence like plane tickets and a couple of pictures of us. 

Here are my quick clarifying questions:

• I saw that alongside the 1040 and W2 (Which I have for 2022 - alongside W2s from 2020 and 2021) I will need proof of status. I'm fine with just a copy of their passport, correct? Or should I have something else? 
  • Do they ever ask to see the physical copy of pictures? Just need to know if I have to bring my butt down to staples and get copies made. 

Thanks in advance!! 

Photocopy is fine for the passport.  No to the photos.  Your petitioner has already established a bonafide relationship between the 2 of you during the I-130 process.  Now, you're establishing that you, the beneficiary, are a "welcome addition" to the US.  

Take what's listed here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html

4 hours ago, SensibleChuckle said:

May 9 is our DQ date as well. Have not seen any updates on CEAC or received an interview letter. Still says our case is at NVC. Hoping we’re part of the batch this month.

One thing we’re hoping for, but it’s purely speculation: our 2 year marriage anniversary is mid October. so we could qualify switching from CR1 to IR1 if the interview/approval comes after that date. I have no idea if the folks at NVC/Montreal would spot that and sequence the the interview to facilitate the IR1 instead. 

You don't switch the application.  As long as you enter the US after your second wedding anniversary, your application will change from CR to IR.  I interviewed as a CR but entered the US 1 day after my second anniversary for this reason - to ensure I would get an IR greencard and not have to worry about ROC.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

Just got back from the consulate in Montreal and I am happy to say that I have been approved!! Well, we think LOL She said that she "intends to approve the visa" but the system is being slow/is down so she couldn't do it immediately. But I didn't get my passport handed back to me or the 221g handed over. The only paper she gave me was how to track the visa! 

My interview was scheduled for 8:30 but I got there at just before 8:10 because my Uber was far faster than I thought it would be. There were about 9 people ahead of me which was weird because they were all waiting for interviews at 9:15! There were two people behind me for 8:30 as well. At 8:15 the security guard asked me what my interview time was and he let me up right away. I walked in, handed the lady my passport, put my things in the X-Ray machine and then put my phone and smartwatch in the locker and headed upstairs. 

It took about 10 mins for my number to be called to go to the first window (Window 5) and she confirmed phone numbers and addresses and then asked me for the following documents:

• 1 Passport photo
  • Police Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • My husband's divorce decree
  • My husbands 2022 tax return and 2022 W2

She took my finger prints and then she sent me back on my way to the waiting room to wait for my interview. I waited for my interview for about an hour, almos 9:30 AM on the nose was my interview time. Who interview lasted just over 5 minutes. They asked the following:

• Name of the petitioner
  • What is our relationship
  • Where does he live
  • Where did we meet
  • When did we start dating
  • What made us decide to get married
  • "Tell me about your wedding"
  • Did you read the pamphlet and if I had questions about it

Then she said she intends to approve it. And off I went! All in all pretty painless. My stomach was still in knots throughout the whole thing!

Timeline

Sorry! They also asked me the follwowing:

• Where have you travelled in the last 5 years?
  • What was your longest stay in the US 
  • Have you ever overstayed in the US?
  • Have you ever been denied entry to the US?

2 hours ago, llcoolwil said:

Just got back from the consulate in Montreal and I am happy to say that I have been approved!! Well, we think LOL She said that she "intends to approve the visa" but the system is being slow/is down so she couldn't do it immediately. But I didn't get my passport handed back to me or the 221g handed over. The only paper she gave me was how to track the visa! 

My interview was scheduled for 8:30 but I got there at just before 8:10 because my Uber was far faster than I thought it would be. There were about 9 people ahead of me which was weird because they were all waiting for interviews at 9:15! There were two people behind me for 8:30 as well. At 8:15 the security guard asked me what my interview time was and he let me up right away. I walked in, handed the lady my passport, put my things in the X-Ray machine and then put my phone and smartwatch in the locker and headed upstairs. 

It took about 10 mins for my number to be called to go to the first window (Window 5) and she confirmed phone numbers and addresses and then asked me for the following documents:

• 1 Passport photo
  • Police Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • My husband's divorce decree
  • My husbands 2022 tax return and 2022 W2

She took my finger prints and then she sent me back on my way to the waiting room to wait for my interview. I waited for my interview for about an hour, almos 9:30 AM on the nose was my interview time. Who interview lasted just over 5 minutes. They asked the following:

• Name of the petitioner
  • What is our relationship
  • Where does he live
  • Where did we meet
  • When did we start dating
  • What made us decide to get married
  • "Tell me about your wedding"
  • Did you read the pamphlet and if I had questions about it

Then she said she intends to approve it. And off I went! All in all pretty painless. My stomach was still in knots throughout the whole thing!

Very happy for you!!!

Do you mind tagging me when you receive your passport? Curious to how quickly the turn around is. 

Glad that this is behind you and wish you all the best!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NorthnerSouth98 said:

Very happy for you!!!

Do you mind tagging me when you receive your passport? Curious to how quickly the turn around is. 

Glad that this is behind you and wish you all the best!

Sure! I can definitely tag you! I'm a bit nervous with the "system being slow" BUT I believe I saw that before and it was fine. I paid for expedited delivery so hopefully I see the difference. She mentioned 2-3 weeks but I think that would be via standard post or pick up. 

Timeline
On 8/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, SensibleChuckle said:

Our anniversary is also in mid-October. That is something I haven't even considered up until this point. Hopefully we all hear something soon. I'm not sure how the interview exactly works but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask them once the time comes.

As others have noted, it's very difficult to contact anyone otherwise.

Timeline
On 8/9/2023 at 6:30 PM, NorthnerSouth98 said:

That is great news, you could be set by the weekend! 

Purolator delivered my visa/passport yesterday afternoon!! WOO! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.