Jason and May

CR1 USICS Online Account "Your Case is Taking Longer Than Expected to Process...."

10 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I recently logged in to see if the estimated processing time for my wife's visa has changed since it's a new month (I haven't checked it in a while), and I see under the processing time, it has changed to "Your case is taking longer than expected to process. You do not need to take any action at this time." 

I've read a number of posts in VJ forums about this, but I've not seen a post with any outcome; the ones I read just seem to fizzle out. 

Has anyone experienced this with an outcome who might chime in?

I'm not overly concerned. May and I are prepared for a long wait, and I'll just keep going to visit when I can as we work our way through the process. I just thought perhaps by 12 months from NOA 1 we might be getting into territory of NOA 2, and VJ still estimates sometime in July (USCIS jumped from 3 months to 5 months about a month ago). 

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Warmest wishes, all. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jason and May said:

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated

Married 6/3/2022.

May should consider entering the U.S. on 6/4/2024 or later so that she can avoid I-751. At this point it is completely in her control.

So if I-130 is approved say by July 1, 2023, then she should get her documents to NVC no sooner than 12/4/2024. The earliest the visa can then expire is 6/4/2024 (dated 6 months from medical).

43 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Married 6/3/2022.

May should consider entering the U.S. on 6/4/2024 or later so that she can avoid I-751. At this point it is completely in her control.

So if I-130 is approved say by July 1, 2023, then she should get her documents to NVC no sooner than 12/4/2024. The earliest the visa can then expire is 6/4/2024 (dated 6 months from medical).

Hi Mike, 

I was aware of the 2-year-from-date-of-marriage RoC workaround, but I hadn't thought about a timeline or anything of the sort. Given anticipated fee increases, avoiding it is helpful, where possible.

I appreciate your thoughts, Mike. Thank you for sharing that! 

Hi Jason,

I was also perplexed by the “processing time” tab in the USCIS portal and have posted about it before.  From what I can gather the processing time posted in USCIS is almost entirely uncorrelated with when your petition will actually be processed.  In my case the processing time steadily counted down from c.6 months immediately after filing the I-130 until it reached 1 week, then shot back up to 5 months about a month ago (similar to you, and which would’ve put me around 11-12 months in total which I thought made some sense), and then a few days ago I noticed it dropped down to 3 weeks…

It’s almost as if there is an algorithm working in the background which is not at all accurate, and then periodically USCIS adjusts it causing big swings in the estimated processing times.  Others have commented on “your case is taking longer than expected” as being like a placeholder before the timeline is adjusted and starts counting down again.  

In summary, I’m guessing that people haven’t posted the “outcome” from the processing time tab because the time doesn’t indicate when the I-130 will actually be processed and (I guess, based on googling screen shots of approved I-130’s) that the processing time tab disappears after the approval is granted.  Sorry, not much help! Best of luck!

My case did the same exact things. Back in April, it changed from 5 week, up to 3 months (because USCIS had changed their calculation process)  I also checked yesterday and mine now says that “taking longer than expected…” message.
NOA1=07/20/2022

On 6/2/2023 at 3:30 AM, MT84 said:

Hi Jason,

I was also perplexed by the “processing time” tab in the USCIS portal and have posted about it before.  From what I can gather the processing time posted in USCIS is almost entirely uncorrelated with when your petition will actually be processed.  In my case the processing time steadily counted down from c.6 months immediately after filing the I-130 until it reached 1 week, then shot back up to 5 months about a month ago (similar to you, and which would’ve put me around 11-12 months in total which I thought made some sense), and then a few days ago I noticed it dropped down to 3 weeks…

It’s almost as if there is an algorithm working in the background which is not at all accurate, and then periodically USCIS adjusts it causing big swings in the estimated processing times.  Others have commented on “your case is taking longer than expected” as being like a placeholder before the timeline is adjusted and starts counting down again.  

In summary, I’m guessing that people haven’t posted the “outcome” from the processing time tab because the time doesn’t indicate when the I-130 will actually be processed and (I guess, based on googling screen shots of approved I-130’s) that the processing time tab disappears after the approval is granted.  Sorry, not much help! Best of luck!

There's no need to apologize: Your response was super helpful. It helps to know what others have experienced.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. :)

On 6/2/2023 at 3:13 PM, BLC said:

My case did the same exact things. Back in April, it changed from 5 week, up to 3 months (because USCIS had changed their calculation process)  I also checked yesterday and mine now says that “taking longer than expected…” message.
NOA1=07/20/2022

It's frustrating they added a tool that's supposed to be helpful for people but generally causes more problems than not..... 😕 

Thank you for responding, my friend. Best of luck in your journey! :)

Do not look at this tab.  This tab is not accurate and provides no useful information for your case.  It's insane and incredibly insensitive that they even added it to give people false hope.

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all. Just thought we'd update: We got our NOA 2 today. The case was sent to NVC on Tuesday. 

Edited by Jason and May
Grammar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.