Vudimome

DCF with EC before 6 months

14 posts in this topic

Hello! I am a USC, my wife and I came to Dubai back in February to search for employment. We were living off of savings for about 1.5-2 months until I got my current job in April and I applied for my wife to get a spouse visa so that we could stay together whilst she continues job hunting. We have been here for about 3 months now and I just recently got a great job offer back in the states with a nice salary that would start in August. The only problem is that if I take this job my wife would lose her visa here and would have to go back to her home country so after doing a bit of research I found out about direct consular filing under exceptional circumstances as a way to bring her back to the states with me since I have a job offer with a short notice. However, I learned that at least 6 months of residency is a requirement for the consulate to accept an application for DCF. Is 3 months considered “short notice”? Also, since my wife and I were in Dubai for a few months prior to us getting residency and my job doesn’t start for another 3 months I would technically have over 6 months of residency before having to leave the country would that be acceptable? Do we qualify for DCF
thanks!

8 minutes ago, Vudimome said:

Hello! I am a USC, my wife and I came to Dubai back in February to search for employment. We were living off of savings for about 1.5-2 months until I got my current job in April and I applied for my wife to get a spouse visa so that we could stay together whilst she continues job hunting. We have been here for about 3 months now and I just recently got a great job offer back in the states with a nice salary that would start in August. The only problem is that if I take this job my wife would lose her visa here and would have to go back to her home country so after doing a bit of research I found out about direct consular filing under exceptional circumstances as a way to bring her back to the states with me since I have a job offer with a short notice. However, I learned that at least 6 months of residency is a requirement for the consulate to accept an application for DCF. Is 3 months considered “short notice”? Also, since my wife and I were in Dubai for a few months prior to us getting residency and my job doesn’t start for another 3 months I would technically have over 6 months of residency before having to leave the country would that be acceptable? Do we qualify for DCF
thanks!

The spouse visa you applied for... is that for Dubai or the US? Have you sent in the I-130 yet or did you just decide to live together in Dubai together for a few months/years...? Where were you living before you moved to Dubai? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming you have not filed an I 130 you can ask.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Vudimome said:

thanks!

One more question… if DCF is accepted will you wife be able to remain in Dubai if you have to move back to the US before she receives her immigrant visa? 

8 hours ago, Redro said:

The spouse visa you applied for... is that for Dubai or the US? Have you sent in the I-130 yet or did you just decide to live together in Dubai together for a few months/years...? Where were you living before you moved to Dubai? 

The spouse visa is for Dubai and no we have not sent the I130 yet we where planning on living here permanently or at least for a long time. We were long distance before moving to Dubai we met when I studied abroad. 

6 hours ago, Redro said:

One more question… if DCF is accepted will you wife be able to remain in Dubai if you have to move back to the US before she receives her immigrant visa? 

That’s what I’m wondering as well, assuming I take the job in the states I would have to leave my current job and evidently lose my work visa which would in turn revoke my wife’s as well (or at least that’s what I think would happen)

50 minutes ago, Vudimome said:

The spouse visa is for Dubai and no we have not sent the I130 yet we where planning on living here permanently or at least for a long time. We were long distance before moving to Dubai we met when I studied abroad. 

So, your wife just needs to get an original

background check from her country before you apply… 

48 minutes ago, Vudimome said:

That’s what I’m wondering as well, assuming I take the job in the states I would have to leave my current job and evidently lose my work visa which would in turn revoke my wife’s as well (or at least that’s what I think would happen)

Sometimes the USC has to return to US and leave the DCF country before the process is complete… DCF is quicker but it isn’t always quick. It can take 3-6 months sometimes before the visa is issued. The embassy won’t control this factor, it is something you need to figure out between you and your wife and Dubai… 

46 minutes ago, Vudimome said:

Who should I ask? The consulate in Dubai or embassy in Abu Dhabi? Or someone else? Sorry I’m just a bit confused as the whole visa/immigration process seems so convoluted. Thank you

Contact the embassy responsible for processing immigrant visa for residents of Dubai 

Edited by Redro

@RedroThank you for the reply I understand she needs her background check and that DCF can still take some time to go through. My main concern for now is that because we haven’t been living here for 6 months or longer do we qualify for DCF? I remember reading that rule on the official USDOS website but now I can’t remember where to find it and only seem to find some third party sites mentioning it. Did they remove that as a prerequisite?

1 hour ago, Vudimome said:

@RedroThank you for the reply I understand she needs her background check and that DCF can still take some time to go through. My main concern for now is that because we haven’t been living here for 6 months or longer do we qualify for DCF? I remember reading that rule on the official USDOS website but now I can’t remember where to find it and only seem to find some third party sites mentioning it. Did they remove that as a prerequisite?

6 month rule was for DCF when consulates still had USCIS offices. It wasn’t removed it was never a factor for Exceptional Circumstances. They may factor in your residency but they do not have to… apply now for your wife. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline

You just contact them

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Immigration Lawyers would

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.