piggyback

Can my fiance enter the US while her fiance visa is pending?

87 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

It might (might) help if your fiancee visits some other country, even briefly, and returns home before she attempts to visit you.

thank you, she is already in UK right now for work and she has dual citizenship but what you suggest makes sense! i hope her visas help. thanks.

1 minute ago, meladee said:

The legal definition of an F-1 visa holder:

By the definition, your fiance would not be eligible because they intend to abandon their residence in the foreign country.

hi, you mean her existing f1 visa may be invalid? i will ask her to research, thanks if that's what you mean.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Dual with where?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, piggyback said:

hi, you mean her existing f1 visa may be invalid? i will ask her to research, thanks if that's what you mean.

Correct, if she doesn't at the time of entry meet the requirements of the F-1 visa, she would be inadmissable and wouldn't be able to return for 5 years. Source:

(G) Student visa abusers

An alien who obtains the status of a nonimmigrant under section 1101(a)(15)(F)(i) of this title and who violates a term or condition of such status under section 1184(l) 2 of this title is inadmissible until the alien has been outside the United States for a continuous period of 5 years after the date of the violation.

7 minutes ago, meladee said:

Correct, if she doesn't at the time of entry meet the requirements of the F-1 visa, she would be inadmissable and wouldn't be able to return for 5 years. Source:

thank you for reference, i read it and please let me correct if i misunderstood it:

it says "An alien who obtains the status of a nonimmigrant under section 1101(a)(15)(F)(i) of this title and who violates a term or condition of such status under section 1184(l) 2 of this title is inadmissible until the alien has been outside the United States for a continuous period of 5 years after the date of the violation."

my fiance returned back to her home without breaking any rules, does this mean she "violated a term or condition of such status" ?

if this is the case, any tourist or student who returns early has violated the terms? for example, a student who is in masters degree for 2 years, returns after 1 year so she violated the visa?

note: my fiance originally had visa and i20 for 1 year but she returned before the date on I20. her visa is still valid and we were originally told she can enter with valid visa AND valid I20 from new school.

any help is appriciated and sorry if i misunderstood.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, piggyback said:

my fiance returned back to her home without breaking any rules, does this mean she "violated a term or condition of such status" ?

if this is the case, any tourist or student who returns early has violated the terms? for example, a student who is in masters degree for 2 years, returns after 1 year so she violated the visa?

The term she would violate that makes her inadmissable is the previously mentioned requirement: an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
38 minutes ago, piggyback said:

she has bulgarian(parents) and armenia(born) passports

i am also bulgarian dual citizen

I do not think either of those are helpful

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

38 minutes ago, piggyback said:

thank you for reference, i read it and please let me correct if i misunderstood it:

it says "An alien who obtains the status of a nonimmigrant under section 1101(a)(15)(F)(i) of this title and who violates a term or condition of such status under section 1184(l) 2 of this title is inadmissible until the alien has been outside the United States for a continuous period of 5 years after the date of the violation."

note: my fiance originally had visa and i20 for 1 year but she returned before the date on I20. her visa is still valid and we were originally told she can enter with valid visa AND valid I20 from new school.

any help is appriciated and sorry if i misunderstood.

We are not talking about her first entry. 
We are talking about the upcoming entry. 
At POE, CBP might decide she is using her F1 visa not to study but her primary purpose for coming to the US is to be with you, marry you and adjust. 

A 3 month English class with you as her sponsor might raise red flags. 
Especially because her reasoning behind studying English is she intends on moving to the US (this conflicts with the rules of the F1 visa). 

I will add- F1 students IN SCHOOL married to US citizens are sometimes discouraged from leaving the US because each entry is at the discretion of CBP. 

I wish you and your partner luck but if she doesn’t have a job to return to after the course and the officer doesn’t believe her reasons she might not be allowed to enter the US. 

Edited by Redro

28 minutes ago, Redro said:

We are not talking about her first entry. 
We are talking about the upcoming entry. 
At POE, CBP might decide she is using her F1 visa not to study but her primary purpose for coming to the US is to be with you, marry you and adjust. 

A 3 month English class with you as her sponsor might raise red flags. 
Especially because her reasoning behind studying English is she intends on moving to the US (this conflicts with the rules of the F1 visa). 

I will add- F1 students IN SCHOOL married to US citizens are sometimes discouraged from leaving the US because each entry is at the discretion of CBP. 

I wish you and your partner luck but if she doesn’t have a job to return to after the course and the officer doesn’t believe her reasons she might not be allowed to enter the US. 

thank you for wishes and reply!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Brother, your intentions may be honorable, but the only thing mattering is what CBP perceives.  That's it.  That's all.  Everyone here is trying to keep you two safe.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Can my fiance enter the US while her fiance visa is pending?
  • 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Spammer content removed and spammer banned*******

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.