Damirga

Does the US embassy Kuala Lumpur Malaysia accept non-residents dv lottery appointments

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm filling DS-260 and want to choose the US embassy in Kuala Lumpur for my interview instead of my country Sudan due to war going on right now, all embassies have closed permanently but I can enter Malaysia without a visa. I would like to know if they accept scheduling DV lottery appointments for non-residents. Please share your experience if you had your interview there, what are the required documents? Does KCC require proof of residency in Malaysia for them to sent my case there?

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The current fyi on USEM in Khartoum says work with NVC to transfer your case. On top of that you may even expedite. 

https://sd.usembassy.gov/visas/

See the Immigrant Visas for Sudanese Nationals section

"Individuals with approved, current petitions who have not been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview may be able to request expedited processing and/or a transfer to another interviewing post through the National Visa Center.  To request expedited scheduling, please email NVCExpedite@state.gov"

8 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

The current fyi on USEM in Khartoum says work with NVC to transfer your case. On top of that you may even expedite. 

https://sd.usembassy.gov/visas/

See the Immigrant Visas for Sudanese Nationals section

"Individuals with approved, current petitions who have not been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview may be able to request expedited processing and/or a transfer to another interviewing post through the National Visa Center.  To request expedited scheduling, please email NVCExpedite@state.gov"

I'm aware of this announcement thank you. However this is a dv lottery case not family reunion case (i-130). I didn't submit the DS260 yet and I wanna be sure first. Any contact has to be made with KCC at this point not NVC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Damirga said:

I'm aware of this announcement thank you. However this is a dv lottery case not family reunion case (i-130). I didn't submit the DS260 yet and I wanna be sure first. Any contact has to be made with KCC at this point not NVC.

Right, DV has to deal with KCC. Hopefully, someone who has experienced your situation or with more knowledge on what to do will advice. Good luck.

KL is unique in that they actually pre-screen documents post-2NL, pre-interview.

They expect proof of admission (physical presence) and a residence type visa or permit (ability to stay within Malaysia for interview processing). 

You can get away with choosing KL at the KCC stage - they don’t usually check so long as your inputted address is proper - but you’ll hit a roadblock once you get your 2NL if DOS has not yet announced their solution for Sudanese DV (ie; instructing all or specific embassies to intake Sudanese), or you have not yet obtained a resident visa for Malaysia. 

With that said, in DV22 KL made exceptions and helped out a bit with applicants who were stuck at backlogged embassies - all they required at that time was an admission stamp. Goes to show how much can change from one DV year to the next. 

Are there any other countries you could realistically get a long term visa for by the time you interview? You can guesstimate sometimes when that will be based on your CN.

14 hours ago, throwitaway said:

KL is unique in that they actually pre-screen documents post-2NL, pre-interview.

They expect proof of admission (physical presence) and a residence type visa or permit (ability to stay within Malaysia for interview processing). 

So I emailed them last night and as expected they declined. Oh well, at least we dodged a bullet there 😆 Next! Thanks for your prompt responses @throwitaway

Can you recommend any other embassy? Do you think we should take our time submitting for DS-260?

Screenshot_20230509_181921_Gmail.jpg

Edited by Damirga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.