ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't file for EI until like a month after I entered the USA, as I had no clue I could recieve it, (thanks Cassie) I dont believe I lost any benefits, got it for the maximum time. Of course I initially got denied,but redressed and won!! Cheerio

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

ok the hubby should be getting his first 2 weeks of EI sometime soon. He's been working the past 2 weeks and will work this week but then won't work till early Jan-not his choice, the company is putting the project he's working on hiatus. will he be eligible for EI for those few weeks? this will probably continue for a few more months-working a few weeks then not working for a few weeks. he's been hired as full-time as needed, he expects to be offered a real full time management position in the spring, but what to do in the meantime?

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

I had *no* idea what EI was. {sigh} I should have read this sooner but I thought it was only for K visa folks. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are full-time students eligible? The Service Canada webpage doesn't say that they aren't but my hubby thinks that he's eligible.

2. Can CR1 visa applicants apply for this also??

Thanks! :)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline

Yes cr-1 can apply, actually much easier for a cr-1 as ur eligible to work right from the start. I was a cr-1. Not sure about the student thing. One has to be able to work, if u cant work, no EI, at least from my understanding, but students can stil work!! I think your allowed to "study" to a certain limit before they deduct $$$, unsure what the hours or credits would be. You can contact them via the phone and they can answer any questions. They were extremely friendly when I called. As wel lexpalin you had no clue that u could receive EI benefits in the USA, and the reason ur in the USA is to be with ur spouse. Of course you have to have had enough insurable hours in Canada to collect EI, if not, no EI.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I just got my access codes and everything.. and so I went online and it said this:

We are not able to establish a claim for you because you did not work the required number of hours to qualify for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits. For more information refer to the notice that was sent to you. Information, about qualifying for benefits is available from the EI site.

:huh:

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

Did you have enough hours?? If so you can redress it. My claim was initailly denied for another reason, but redressed it and won.

Friend of mine worked for a couple years and then collected EI while going to school full time. This was all in Canada.

Good news: I got my first EI cards in the mail yesterday along with my access code.

So so news: The My EI online account doesn't have any record of me when I try to log in.

EDIT: I can log on and check it now. I was putting BC (my old province). Needed to enter ON for Ontario and it worked....No mention on the next page about my claim. Still says undecided at the moment. We shall see.

Bad news: Got an RFE for my I-485. They want me to send in the I-864. Hmmm, I seem to recall sending it in. And I triple checked everything before sending it off. Oh well. Better my green card than my work or travel permission.

Edited by Texanadian

Timeline

As i think about it more, I do recall the Ei lady stating I could could to school for only soo many hours each week, before they would deduct $$$, not sure what the magic # was, and that was back in 2005, so things may have changed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ive gotten like 6 payments and mine still doesnt show anything online

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
ive gotten like 6 payments and mine still doesnt show anything online

That surprises me.. hmm it always accurately documented my payments and I used it to predict when they would hit my CDN account.. You might want to ask them about that next time you chat with them on the phone.

Texanadian - Remember they can send you cards before they reach a "verdict" on your claim. I had filled out a bunch of cards and that status still remained undecided. Keep on those people at the office to make a decision on your claim. Keep calling them (I called every week) squeeky wheel and all that jazz.. ;)

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

I just got my first cards Friday - a load of them actually all of Nov, plus the 1st week of Dec too i think.

So.......just to confirm - last time I collected pogy (sp?) was 1990 when I got fired from a wonderful waitressing job :)

• Do I need to fill out the cards at all if I can do so online?
    • I obviously report the outstanding vacation pay which I was paid along with my last pay, correct? I was paid the week after I quit because it was the normal pay period
    • I gave them my banking info already when I filed online.....do I need to send anything further? Their stupid Benefit statement doesn't really help...it has a caned message on the bottom about//We will stop sending you benefits statements if...you are enrolled in Direct Deposit, blah blah blah
    Thanks
Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I dont believe u can file the cards online from the USA, at least u could not back in 2005, had to mail them in

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
How do you fill out question 4 on the back of the report cards?

Were you ready, willing and capable of working each day? If "no" give date(s) and reason(s) below. Complete E on side 2 if applicable.

I'm ready willing and capable, but not allowed ;)

Does anyone have a response for this question above?

I also just recieved my first set of report cards, and I'm not sure how to answer this question.

K-1 Journey

04/09/06 - met for the first time

03/24/07 - proposed!

03/28/07 - sent I-129 to NVC

04/04/07 - NVC received I-129

06/26/07 - NVC sent approval

07/12/07 - Montreal Consulate recieved approved petition

07/20/07 - recieved Packet 3 from Montreal

07/24/07 - sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

** obtained police certificate

08/07/07 - Montreal confirmed that they recieved Packet 3

09/21/07 - INTERVIEW BOOKED NOV. 9TH, 9AM

10/17/07 - Completed Medical (took 5 minutes!)

11/09/07 - Visa APPROVED in Montreal (should receive in 2-3 weeks)

11/16/07 - picked up visa at the post office today (2-3 weeks my a$$)

Entered US December 4th!!

Married December 22nd

AOS Journey

01/11/08 - sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

01/13/08 - USPS confirmed delivery of AOS package

01/14/08 - received new SSN with married name

01/19/08 - received all 3 NOA's

02/04/08 - case transferred to CSC (notified online)

02/11/08 - biometrics

02/14/08 - case received at CSC

03/08/08 - approval notice for travel document sent (notified online)

03/12/08 - EAD card approved

03/14/08 - received AP

03/15/08 - received EAD

03/16/08 - AP and EAD touched?? I have already received them.

03/26/08 - AOS touched!!

03/27/08 - AOS touched again...

05/12/08 - Card Production Ordered!!

05/13/08 - Welcome letter has been sent

Lifting of Conditions I-751

02/12/10 - Mailed petition to Vermont

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I just recieved my first set of report cards. There are two of them, for different date periods.

I also recieved 5 little sheets, exactly the same, that have questions like "Dates worked during the week" "Gross amount earned". The sheets are all for the same time period. Do I send back all 5, even though they are the same, or does EI make a habit of just sending extra's in case I need them?

Thanks!

K-1 Journey

04/09/06 - met for the first time

03/24/07 - proposed!

03/28/07 - sent I-129 to NVC

04/04/07 - NVC received I-129

06/26/07 - NVC sent approval

07/12/07 - Montreal Consulate recieved approved petition

07/20/07 - recieved Packet 3 from Montreal

07/24/07 - sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

** obtained police certificate

08/07/07 - Montreal confirmed that they recieved Packet 3

09/21/07 - INTERVIEW BOOKED NOV. 9TH, 9AM

10/17/07 - Completed Medical (took 5 minutes!)

11/09/07 - Visa APPROVED in Montreal (should receive in 2-3 weeks)

11/16/07 - picked up visa at the post office today (2-3 weeks my a$$)

Entered US December 4th!!

Married December 22nd

AOS Journey

01/11/08 - sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

01/13/08 - USPS confirmed delivery of AOS package

01/14/08 - received new SSN with married name

01/19/08 - received all 3 NOA's

02/04/08 - case transferred to CSC (notified online)

02/11/08 - biometrics

02/14/08 - case received at CSC

03/08/08 - approval notice for travel document sent (notified online)

03/12/08 - EAD card approved

03/14/08 - received AP

03/15/08 - received EAD

03/16/08 - AP and EAD touched?? I have already received them.

03/26/08 - AOS touched!!

03/27/08 - AOS touched again...

05/12/08 - Card Production Ordered!!

05/13/08 - Welcome letter has been sent

Lifting of Conditions I-751

02/12/10 - Mailed petition to Vermont

Timeline

I said 'YES'....a further note indicates to refer to 'E' and if you look at that on the front it is for Group Sickness/ maternity.

I feel somewhat uncomfortable saying I was able to work myself...because frankly, I'm a K1 and I can't yet....

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.