Bh_sarah

Police Certificate Validity – Issued Inside the Country

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi!

I wanted to clear a doubt I have when it comes to police certificates validity. I searched on the forum and online and I still am not too certain if it's 1 year, 2 years, or in my case it doesn't expire.

Let me explain. I am waiting still for NOA2 for a K1 visa, and since it's starting to linger a bit, I am getting worried I got my police certificate too soon and it might be expired once I get to the interview stage. I am Brazilian and I have lived in the UK and Canada. Police certificates from Brazil are easy to get and issued instantly online (federal and state), I got my UK done this month and I am waiting for it to arrive but the copy I sent to my fiancé in the US already arrived. The Canadian one is worrying me though.

Getting a Canadian police certificate from Brazil is honestly complicated, long and costly for me. Since I still work for Canada and went to visit the country for work last year, I decided to do my police certificate from inside Canada (note I presented my passport and expired provincial ID for that). It was easy, got my fingerprints, submitted the application, got it back in the mail in 5 weeks while I was still in the country. It is the correct police certificate asked for US immigration as I've checked before. The date on my certificate is August 10, 2022.

State Department website tells me police certificates are valid for 2 years (my understanding is that this was extended due to the pandemic, not sure?). The Brazilian US embassy website tells me the police certificates are only valid for a year, but I think it could be that their website isn't really updated often. Here's what they say:
"Police certificates for K visa applicants expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence, and you have not returned there since the certificate was issued."

While State Department has the same info but says two years:
"
Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued."

And then there is also the part about "unless issued from your country of previous of residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued". What does that mean? That the certificate doesn't expire if that's the case? And do you think that my case of issuing it from inside of Canada would fit that so my certificate doesn't really have an expiring date? To be specific, I received the certificate dated August 10th, but only left Canada on September 22nd, 2022. Would I had need to receive it outside of Canada? That part makes me confused.

Anyway, what I want to know is what's the validity of my Canadian police certificate. 2 years? 1 year? No expiring date? Just so I know if I will need to get another one before my interview comes (considering my interview might probably be after August 10th, 2023 – hoping it isn't!). Thank you in advance!

Edited by Bh_sarah

February 2022 I-129F K1 Case Status Spreadsheet can be found here.
NVC Timelines spreadsheet can be found here.
NOA1:
Feb 22nd, 2022 | NOA2: May 12th, 2023 (444 days) | NVC Received: July 3rd, 2023 (52 days) | Case number: Aug 2nd, 2023 (82 days) | In Transit: Aug 15th, 2023 (95 days)  | Ready: Aug 17th, 2023 | Medical: Sep 22nd, 2023 | Interview: Sep 26th, 2023

Timeline

Sooo... no one knows? haha 
I will hunt for a way to contact the Rio embassy.

NOA1:
Feb 22nd, 2022 | NOA2: May 12th, 2023 (444 days) | NVC Received: July 3rd, 2023 (52 days) | Case number: Aug 2nd, 2023 (82 days) | In Transit: Aug 15th, 2023 (95 days)  | Ready: Aug 17th, 2023 | Medical: Sep 22nd, 2023 | Interview: Sep 26th, 2023

Timeline
4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I’m confused. Where do you live now and have you been back to Canada since you were there last time when you got the police certificate?

I'm back to my home country, Brazil. I will go through the K1 here, at the Rio embassy.
I got the Canadian police certificate while in Canada on a work trip last year. Received it in the mail in August while still in Canada, left Canada in September. Haven't been back.

Edited by Bh_sarah

NOA1:

Just now, Bh_sarah said:

I'm back to my home country, Brazil. I will go through the K1 here, at the Rio embassy.
I got the Canadian police certificate while in Canada on a work trip last year. Received it in the mail in August while still in Canada, left Canada in September. Haven't been back.

Are you planning to go back before your K1 interview? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Are you planning to go back before your K1 interview? 

No, I'm not planning on it, but I understand I will need another certificate if I do (in case work demands me to go back for some reason).
Would the exception for the expiration then apply in my case, even after staying in the Canada for a month after getting the police certificate?

NOA1:

1 minute ago, Bh_sarah said:

Would the exception for the expiration then apply in my case, even after staying in the Canada for a month after getting the police certificate?

Yes, it still applies. I had to get one from an European country I was living in at the time, got it a bit early, stayed about 5 more months after getting it. No issues at the interview in my home country.

As long as you don’t go back to Canada before the interview, the one you have will remain valid. 

Timeline
Just now, powerpuff said:

Yes, it still applies. I had to get one from an European country I was living in at the time, got it a bit early, stayed about 5 more months after getting it. No issues at the interview in my home country.

As long as you don’t go back to Canada before the interview, the one you have will remain valid. 

Oh, perfect! Thank you also for letting me know about your case, I couldn't find much information on a case that was like mine, with the certificate being issued on a trip before leaving.
And yes, if I do have to go back, I will get another one while there. Thank you for your answer!

NOA1:

Timeline
4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Oh, can I just ask you one more thing just to reassure me a bit more? haha when you got to your interview, your European country certificate was already issued more than a 1 year ago or was still inside the 1 year (or 2 year) expiration date?

NOA1:

Just now, Bh_sarah said:

Oh, can I just ask you one more thing just to reassure me a bit more? haha when you got to your interview, your European country certificate was already issued more than a 1 year ago or was still inside the 1 year (or 2 year) expiration date?

Interview took place about 11 months after the certificate was issued 

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Interview took place about 11 months after the certificate was issued 

Thank you for your answer! I'm hoping for an interview right before my certificate completes 1 year of being issued, but no way to be sure with this process. Appreciate your help!

NOA1:

6 minutes ago, Bh_sarah said:

Thank you for your answer! I'm hoping for an interview right before my certificate completes 1 year of being issued, but no way to be sure with this process. Appreciate your help!

No problem! I think you’ll be fine even if it’s after 1 year to be honest. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.