NMinLasVegas

Traveling to Singapore with Filipina Fiancé - Offloaded Confusion

26 posts in this topic

So would the first step be applying for the K1 visa and the second step would be the CFO GCP?  I was told I cannot apply for the K1 at the United States consulate in Manila anymore, walk in appointments suspended because of covid. So I would have to return to the US first to file it or use some kind of third party company to be able to apply on my first trip to the Philippines. Does that sound right? Does the advice in this thread about passing the secondary inspection at immigration also apply to getting the CFO GCP certification?

1 hour ago, W199 said:

After secondary was satisfied she has traveled locally with me for the last couple of years with dated photos, and she could provide my personal details, they came to me, took a copy of my passport and made me sign an affidavit.  

So you can see, there is no way they will let the OP just meet her for the first time, the 18 month online relationship means nothing for proof he is safe to travel with, and let her leave.  Money, job, etc.. all will not matter .. they want proof in terms of time and personal experience.

He is going to need to get engaged, and get a CFO GCP certificate if he wants to travel anytime soon with her

I went through all that the first time I went to Thailand with my wife long before we were ever married.  It went alright.  I know a few others who have been through the same drill and until now everyone I know who traveled together made it out.  I know one girl who did get offloaded trying to fly on her own to Thailand to meet her boyfriend but when he came and got her they traveled fine.   CFO would DEFINITELY be a big plus but there's a good chance that is going to be difficult.  The whole tourism CFO concept is a huge grey area.  My wife never had any CFO over many many trips before we were married and none of the other unmarried couples I know who went to Thailand, Cambodia etc did either.  Allot of it may just be luck and also how whatever agent sizes up the couple.  I can say from plenty of first hand experience CFO is not a hard requirement.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I went through all that the first time I went to Thailand with my wife long before we were ever married.  It went alright.  I know a few others who have been through the same drill and until now everyone I know who traveled together made it out.  I know one girl who did get offloaded trying to fly on her own to Thailand to meet her boyfriend but when he came and got her they traveled fine.   CFO would DEFINITELY be a big plus but there's a good chance that is going to be difficult.  The whole tourism CFO concept is a huge grey area.  My wife never had any CFO over many many trips before we were married and none of the other unmarried couples I know who went to Thailand, Cambodia etc did either.  Allot of it may just be luck and also how whatever agent sizes up the couple.  I can say from plenty of first hand experience CFO is not a hard requirement.

Agreed, the tourist CFO is a grey area, The CFO and the BI may not be in agreement with each other or even among themselves..The CFO did issue an advisory saying the CFO rules do apply to fiancee's that hold a tourist visa. But that memo is extremely hard to dig up. And multiple people at the  CFO did recently confirm to me that it is needed even for a a tourist visa to another Country.  But on the other hand, the BI told me that the 2nd time we travel, that we will not be sent to secondary.  So this seems to contradict the CFO requirements unless its the first time traveling as fiancee. 

How about for the other engaged couples that you said  left without the CFO, was it their FIRST time traveling as a tourist and as fiancee? 

The BI told us they will not send us to secondary the next time we travel on a tourist visa. So we were not even going to do the CFO, but we did it just  in case there is an overzealous BI agent in a bad mood. Plus we will need it for sure when she gets the K-1 visa. So it was a huge bonus  to get it out of the way without dealing with the hassle of it after getting the K-1. We just need to update the registration to a K-1 visa on their website once the K-1 is issued.  

Timeline
50 minutes ago, NMinLasVegas said:

So would the first step be applying for the K1 visa and the second step would be the CFO GCP?  I was told I cannot apply for the K1 at the United States consulate in Manila anymore, walk in appointments suspended because of covid. So I would have to return to the US first to file it or use some kind of third party company to be able to apply on my first trip to the Philippines. Does that sound right? Does the advice in this thread about passing the secondary inspection at immigration also apply to getting the CFO GCP certification?

IMHO, the first step is to meet her and spend some time with her and family before deciding anything. .

If you are really gung-ho on doing the K-1 ASAP, then prepare the package before you go, and bring everything with you.  Then you can send the package in by fedex after you meet her. Many people do it like this when they plan to spend a long time in the Philippines before going back to the USA  But from what you said about trying to apply at the manila embassy,  there is a lot you need to learn about the K-1 package, and how to do it properly and optimatly  There is a agency that specializes in filipino K-1 and CR-1 that is only $600. You can PM me if you want me to dig their name out. It was the best $600 that I spent, saved me wasting many hours of research and making bad choices and mistakes based on a lot of stuff that you read on the internet or even incompetent immigration lawyers

Edited by W199

12 minutes ago, W199 said:

IMHO, the first step is to meet her and spend some time with her and family before deciding anything. .

Definitely.  CFO and BI would both make a big deal of the family knowing and approving of a foreign boyfriend.  Myself and everyone else I know making first trips together were boyfriend-girlfriend though.  Fiancé is yet another grey area.

1 hour ago, NMinLasVegas said:

The advice you will get here is that from an immigration perspective you would be far better first spending enough actual in-person time together to decide if you really want to be married, and If you really do, then DO marry and apply for a CR-1 spousal visa rather than a K-1 fiancé visa.  CR-1 is 100% better in every way than K-1.  Either way you could file from the Philippines.  If married you can file for a CR-1 spousal visa online.  If you still wanted to file for a K-1 fiancé visa you could always send the packet by courier from the Philippines just as easily as you could mail it from the US.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

11 hours ago, NMinLasVegas said:

Could you expand on this a little please? My research led me to believe a K-1 visa has the advantage of being the faster process overall. What makes the CR-1 better?

Maybe @Crazy Cat can do his copy and past here 🙂

It used to be faster, after covid, not so much. Main benefit is you get everything done in one step instead of 2. Beneficiary enters USA with a green card. SSN in a few weeks after that. Less expensive to name a few. I agree with @top_secret. Even if it is a little longer (IF) it is still much better IMO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Maybe @Crazy Cat can do his copy and past here 🙂

It used to be faster, after covid, not so much. Main benefit is you get everything done in one step instead of 2. Beneficiary enters USA with a green card. SSN in a few weeks after that. Less expensive to name a few. I agree with @top_secret. Even if it is a little longer (IF) it is still much better IMO.

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, NMinLasVegas said:

Could you expand on this a little please? My research led me to believe a K-1 visa has the advantage of being the faster process overall. What makes the CR-1 better?

If you are in such a big rush and so sure you will marry her,  then marry her from the USA next week with  a Utah zoom wedding. 

Note, the CR-1 requires you to meet her after the zoom wedding before filing. Therefore, the very next day, after you meet her,  with your wedding certificate in hand from the Utah wedding, you can file the CR-1.  Done. Easy. Now you can file taxes as married jointly and save a lot of money if you are a high earner, and it will pay for your trip, wedding, engagement ring, even a Tesla  if you are a very high earner.

But If you marry her in the Philippines, it could take many months longer,  not sure, 5 or 6 months or even much longer depending on your wedding planning in order to get the PSA marriage certificate and file the CR-1.  

Post a screenshot next week of the wedding!

Edited by W199

5 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    

The only this I would add to this is that the passport stamp you receive upon entry serves as a green card, until the actual green card arrives in the mail.

3 hours ago, W199 said:

Note, the CR-1 requires you to meet her after the zoom wedding before filing. Therefore, the very next day, after you meet her,  with your wedding certificate in hand from the Utah wedding, you can file the CR-1

I think it is much better to return to the US and then mail in the CR-1. Mail from the Philippines to the USA is very slow if it gets there at all. I also think if you do online wedding through Utah it would be better to do it together while in the Philippines. It avoids the hassles of getting married in the Philippines, mainly the 2 week mandatory wait between applying for a marriage license and actually getting the license to marry, not to mention other hoops. You can still have a reception with family and friends which will most likely be important to her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.