Kawika & Michelle

Thoughts on I-134 FORM

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey Folks,

I provided my fiancé with the I-134 for her upcoming interview (May 4th). When filling it out, since my job salary is more than enough to meet the support requirements for the K1, the only documentation I provided with the I-134 was the offer letter from my employer, the past few months of pay stubs & the last three years of IRS Tax Transcripts. I did not list my home, my car or any of my bank accounts simply because I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of providing all of the documentation to validate those assets. From the videos & guides I had watched and read, what I provided should be more than sufficient for the I-134...however...I keep seeing people talking about including their bank statements & other proof to further validate their financial situations. Has anyone else used just the documentation I provided for this scenario? Looking for some thoughts & input on this. Last thing I want is for her to get turned away because they want to see bank statements or something else as well.

Thanks!

Kawika

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

5 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

Last thing I want is for her to get turned away because they want to see bank statements or something else as well.

I think you should ask yourself, do you really want to leave anything at risk after waiting 1.5 years to get to the interview for the K1?

Do you really want to risk any more delays with the consulate requesting for more information because you didn't want the trouble to get the documentations?

You may be in the right that what you provided is more than sufficient financially. But the consulate makes the decision holistically and I'm one to believe that extra financial evidence can make up for any other shortcomings of a relationship. For example, one could ask what is the petitioner hiding? Financially or otherwise to prove bona fide relationship?

The I-134 is not financially binding, but the I-864 is the binding contract between you and US government to provide for the foreign spouse financially filed with the I-485 AOS. As for my humble opinion, I would do as much as I can for the relationship that I cherish.

Edited by EatBulaga

Timeline

I'd hope that they fact that we went through all the trouble of getting the CFO sticker & both traveled to Costa Rica for our first trip would be a good start to prove that we were both serious from the start. Add in 4 trips to the Philippines over the last year & a half including the last one where I flew my three children with me so that everyone could meet should be more than enough to prove that we have a bona fide relationship...or at least it would prove that I am 100% serious...I guess the only issue the interviewer might have is if he notices something that tells him that she might not be. But I do understand where you are coming from @EatBulaga. I figured they dumbed down the I-134 to make it easier to fill out & meet the requirements of the K1. I imagine that the documentation for the I-485 will be significantly more in depth. I was also enlightened over the weekend that we could be on the hook for life with the I-485. For some reason I thought that was capped at 10 years, but now I understand that is only if she works for 40 quarters.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

@Kawika & Michelle For i-864, US sponsor is financially responsible till the foreign spouse works 40 quarters, or gets naturalized, or dies.

The bona fide marriage proofs may need to be reinforced for I-485 AOS approval or interview and I-751 ROC approval or interview.

Timeline
11 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

For i-864, US sponsor is financially responsible till the foreign spouse works 40 quarters, or gets naturalized, or dies.

Yep...this was explained to me over the weekend. I was under the impression that we were on the hook for 10 years max...but it could be potentially for life if your partner divorces you & marries someone else and decides to never work or become a citizen.

Kawika & Michelle

2 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

it could be potentially for life if your partner divorces you & marries someone else and decides to never work or become a citizen.

Correct.  When it was time for us to submit the I-864, I explained to my USC spouse that even divorce is no escape and asked him if he's 100% sure about signing the I-864 anyway.  He said he's 1000% sure ❤️

On 4/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, Kawika & Michelle said:

When filling it out, since my job salary is more than enough to meet the support requirements for the K1, the only documentation I provided with the I-134 was the offer letter from my employer, the past few months of pay stubs & the last three years of IRS Tax Transcripts. I did not list my home, my car or any of my bank accounts

Keep it simple for Manila.  No bonus points for presenting more than what is required.  The supporting documents you listed above about your sufficient current income will be more than enough for USEM, with your IRS transcripts being the most critical.  Manila does not like assets for the I-134 (or even the I-864 for IV cases).  You can browse the Philippine sub-forum for cases that got 221(g) letters because the sponsor used assets for the affidavit of support.

3 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

Yep...this was explained to me over the weekend. I was under the impression that we were on the hook for 10 years max...but it could be potentially for life if your partner divorces you & marries someone else and decides to never work or become a citizen.

Possibly but don't forget about the beneficiary's ability to be credited with stack on SSA credits 

Manila doesn't even ask for the I134 in most cases, just a select few get asked.

Edited by IWander

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.