Nitsua0895

Worried About I-134 And Income Requirements

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I received my NOA1 on March 25th, 2022 and im

hoping to finally receive my NOA2 in the next few weeks. But after such a long wait I’m beginning to worry about the income requirement. 
Are they usually very strict or somewhat lenient when it comes to your income?

It will just be me and my fiancé, a two person household, so the amount isn’t very much. But I will only have two years of tax returns to show. Last year my income was just below the requirement and this year it is $4,000 over the requirement. 
Maybe I’m feeling anxious for no reason but I’ve read online that it’s best to show many years of income that meets the requirement. 
Also, does it help to have a written statement from your employer that you are earning steady income? 

Do not overthink things, you'll go crazy lol. 

If your most recent tax return didn't meet the required income, then you can use bank statements to prove that money is getting deposited into your bank account,

paystub, etc. and maybe a letter from your employer to prove that you are a permanent worker that is earning X amount of dollars.

At the end of the day, they will only want to know if you can financially support your fiancé and not rely on the government.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, realCG said:

Do not overthink things, you'll go crazy lol. 

If your most recent tax return didn't meet the required income, then you can use bank statements to prove that money is getting deposited into your bank account,

paystub, etc. and maybe a letter from your employer to prove that you are a permanent worker that is earning X amount of dollars.

At the end of the day, they will only want to know if you can financially support your fiancé and not rely on the government.

Thank you! That helps to calm my nerves haha 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 hours ago, Nitsua0895 said:

Last year my income was just below the requirement and this year it is $4,000 over the requirement

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

100 percent: 19,720
125 percent: 24,650

19,720 + 4,000 = 23,720 < 24,650

Thus, when you go to file I-485 and I-864 you will be short.

IMO, I-134 requirements are relatively relaxed so I would not worry about I-134. Whereas with I-864, I have seen cases like yours get denied, even if the petitioner earns exactly enough. So have a plan for a joint sponsor or for higher income.

• 3 weeks later...

CURRENT income is the most important.  Please, please, make sure you can meet the 125% requirement BEFORE bringing someone else - you will have a few extra expenses to fill for AOS!  Basic retail job at any large retailer now pays 17$/hour, and meet the requirements for 2 people.  Best of luck to you two!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.