Alice Y.

Traveling while N-400 naturalization is in progress

5 posts in this topic

Hello fellow immigrants, I have a question about international travel while my N-400 naturalization application is being processed. 

I filed my N-400 application last month and just last week had my biometrics appointment. I've been notified that my case is now being actively reviewed by USCIS. The personalized estimated time until case decision in my portal shows 10 months, and the general processing time for N-400 for my field office is listed as 16 months. I am wondering how much of a risk it would be to travel internationally (back to my home country) later this year. My concerns are:

1) I was asked to fill out last 5 years of travel history on my N-400 application, which I did accurately at the time of submitting the application. If I travel now, this travel record would be missing from what I submitted on my application, though technically the application itself was accurate at the time of filing.

2) If my case happens to be processed quickly, faster than the estimated time, it is possible I will be out of the country when my interview appointment is scheduled. (If I were to travel, it would be in September for a 1 month long trip, which is in 5 months time from now). I would then have to reschedule the appointment (which USCIS frowns on unless it is an emergency) or cut the trip short (which, depending on the notice time, may or may not be feasible). 

I am wondering, given the risk involved, if I should not go on this trip. The trip would be a family function, it is important but not an emergency. Normally I would be very cautious for any decision involving USCIS, however, the estimated processing times are pretty far out. I would love any information or advice - thanks!

9 minutes ago, Alice Y. said:

Hello fellow immigrants, I have a question about international travel while my N-400 naturalization application is being processed. 

I filed my N-400 application last month and just last week had my biometrics appointment. I've been notified that my case is now being actively reviewed by USCIS. The personalized estimated time until case decision in my portal shows 10 months, and the general processing time for N-400 for my field office is listed as 16 months. I am wondering how much of a risk it would be to travel internationally (back to my home country) later this year. My concerns are:

1) I was asked to fill out last 5 years of travel history on my N-400 application, which I did accurately at the time of submitting the application. If I travel now, this travel record would be missing from what I submitted on my application, though technically the application itself was accurate at the time of filing.

2) If my case happens to be processed quickly, faster than the estimated time, it is possible I will be out of the country when my interview appointment is scheduled. (If I were to travel, it would be in September for a 1 month long trip, which is in 5 months time from now). I would then have to reschedule the appointment (which USCIS frowns on unless it is an emergency) or cut the trip short (which, depending on the notice time, may or may not be feasible). 

I am wondering, given the risk involved, if I should not go on this trip. The trip would be a family function, it is important but not an emergency. Normally I would be very cautious for any decision involving USCIS, however, the estimated processing times are pretty far out. I would love any information or advice - thanks!

I traveled while waiting, and wgen i was in my country they schedule my interview for december, i saw the status online, the status changed on november while in my country.

When i came back i uploaded the plane ticket and passport stampt to my online account.

I waited 8 months for my interview , i submitted my case on april 2022

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

I guess it depends on your field office and how fast they're processing applications. My field office is Phoenix, AZ. I filed my N-400 on December 27, 2022, received my interview notice on February 2 and had my interview on March 10. My oath ceremony is this Friday. 

USCIS also listed 16 months as the processing time for my field office. When I applied it said 10 months. It eventually changed to 8 months and that's when my interview was scheduled so I wouldn't trust their estimates. 

May 25, 2004: Got married in Denmark
June 8, 2004: Received passport with new last name
June 11, 2004: Went to the U.S. embassy in Denmark to file the I-130 and DS-230 - approved on the spot
June 18, 2004: Received letter of appointment plus packet 4
August 5, 2004: Interview at U.S. embassy - APPROVED!!!
August 19, 2004: Went back to the U.S. with my husband
May 27, 2006: Filed I-751
July 25, 2006: I-751 approved!

March 13, 2016: Filed I-90 for Permanent Resident Card renewal

March 22, 2016: Received letter of appointment for biometrics appointment

April 8, 2016: Biometrics appointment

September 21, 2016: I-90 approved

December 27, 2022: Filed N400 for US citizenship

December 27, 2022: Biometrics reused

February 2, 2023: Interview notice received

March 10, 2023: N400 approved 

March 10, 2023: Oath ceremony notice provided right after interview 

March 24: Oath ceremony 

I had this same thoughts when I applied for N400. 

After applying for N400 in December 10, 2022, I planned on traveling to the Philippines for 6 weeks because the processing time says 11 months.

I started following other people's N400 timelines and I have been seeing N400 movement as fast as 3 months so I thought, if there's no update by March 2023, I will book my ticket. My assumption was from getting interview notice to actual interview would happen around June-July.

Then Feb 27, 2023, I received a notification that interview has been scheduled--that's only 2+ months since I filed for N400.

My interview schedule is on April 5th--that's less than 2 months from getting the interview notification.

I'm glad I did not book anything in May because there's no way that I could do the oath taking and passport right after the interview. I assume that post-interview process will be done by July. So it looks like I can't plan any trip until then.

So personally, I think you are risking it by going overseas while with pending N400. But if you just filed yesterday and you plan to travel for a month tomorrow, you might be fine. Other than that, I would be very careful about setting travel plans because the estimated time published is only 80% of the cases... you might fall on the top 20%.

Goodluck! :)

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

On 3/19/2023 at 5:06 PM, Alice Y. said:

You'll probably get the interview scheduled before August. It takes 2-4 months, roughly, from the date of filing. (I wouldn't plan on traveling before the interview if I were in your position, but I'm very risk averse when it comes to USCIS.)

The interview notice should appear in your account a month or more before the interview date. So if you're traveling for only a month, and in September, it's not totally unreasonable to go ahead with buying the tickets. Just monitor the account on daily basis when abroad. (For me that would spoil the trip completely, but again, that's me.) 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.