cristinea2

AOS Approved - Travel with different Names

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi all,

My conditional green card is Christina NewLastName.

My passport is Christina OldLastName.

I did not keep my old last name as maiden.

Is it safe to travel with airticket in OldLastName + Passport + Marriage certificate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, cristinea2 said:

so you have 3 last names:

* passport name

* maiden name

* green card / spouse name 

?

1 hour ago, cristinea2 said:

Is it safe to travel with airticket in OldLastName + Passport + Marriage certificate?

depends on the answer to my question

2 hours ago, cristinea2 said:

Hi all,

My conditional green card is Christina NewLastName.

My passport is Christina OldLastName.

Hey there! I'm also from Greece and have the same problem since as you know, Greece won't let you change your last name. But to answer your question, yes, you should be good to go. I have taken multiple trips to Greece and other countries with my Greek passport that has my maiden name, ticket booked in that maiden name, and GC in married name. Entering Greece / other countries, border authorities won't typically care what is on your GC. To board back to the US, they'll check your GC but I've never had them ask why the names are different. Once in the US, CBP cares about the GC itself for the most part and I've never had them ask anything about the names. I always carry a copy of our marriage certificate just in case.

Now, what I haven't quite figured out is what to do once my naturalization is approved since I'll have 2 passports with 2 last names but as far as traveling on a GC, you should be okay!

Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 (USC spouse)

Adjusting From: F1 

Local USCIS office: Washington, DC

Service center: NBC

AOS Timeline

03/07/2019: FedEx delivery

03/22/2019: NOA1

04/01/2019: Completed biometrics 

04/08/2019: Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

07/05/2019: EAD Card in Production (67 days after expediting)

Feb 2020: GC Interview, GC received

ROC Timeline:

Nov 2021: Filed I-751

March 2021: Biometrics Appointment Completed

Timeline
1 minute ago, AOSFairfax said:

Hey there! I'm also from Greece and have the same problem since as you know, Greece won't let you change your last name. But to answer your question, yes, you should be good to go. I have taken multiple trips to Greece and other countries with my Greek passport that has my maiden name, ticket booked in that maiden name, and GC in married name. Entering Greece / other countries, border authorities won't typically care what is on your GC. To board back to the US, they'll check your GC but I've never had them ask why the names are different. Once in the US, CBP cares about the GC itself for the most part and I've never had them ask anything about the names. I always carry a copy of our marriage certificate just in case.

Now, what I haven't quite figured out is what to do once my naturalization is approved since I'll have 2 passports with 2 last names but as far as traveling on a GC, you should be okay!

Oh that really helps thank you so much!!!

Regarding the last name change, i know that per law is not allowed but when i go to our embassy to reguster my marriage they cant change my name there?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, cristinea2 said:

I have my old last name on passport (maiden), my green card has my new last name. I dont have my maiden name at green gard.

Book tickets in your passport name. Bring your marriage certificate.

21 minutes ago, cristinea2 said:

Oh that really helps thank you so much!!!

Regarding the last name change, i know that per law is not allowed but when i go to our embassy to reguster my marriage they cant change my name there?

I’m honestly not sure. When I went to the embassy to register our marriage I asked if I could get a new passport with the new last name. The guy was very confused lol and told me that he wasn’t sure but if I could, I’d have to wait until my passport expired to maybe do so. 

It’s been a few years now and I recently did renew my Greek passport but I honestly did not ask whether I could change my name on it. I should’ve, I just didn’t feel like dealing with Greek bureaucracy haha. If you find out though, let me know!!

Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 (USC spouse)

Adjusting From: F1 

Local USCIS office: Washington, DC

Service center: NBC

AOS Timeline

03/07/2019: FedEx delivery

03/22/2019: NOA1

04/01/2019: Completed biometrics 

04/08/2019: Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

07/05/2019: EAD Card in Production (67 days after expediting)

Feb 2020: GC Interview, GC received

ROC Timeline:

Nov 2021: Filed I-751

March 2021: Biometrics Appointment Completed

Timeline
35 minutes ago, AOSFairfax said:

I’m honestly not sure. When I went to the embassy to register our marriage I asked if I could get a new passport with the new last name. The guy was very confused lol and told me that he wasn’t sure but if I could, I’d have to wait until my passport expired to maybe do so. 

It’s been a few years now and I recently did renew my Greek passport but I honestly did not ask whether I could change my name on it. I should’ve, I just didn’t feel like dealing with Greek bureaucracy haha. If you find out though, let me know!!

I will let you know. I hear you about the bureaucracy :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.