asianbeauty

alien spouse's rights

232 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1st excuse my English. Thank you.

I would like to know my rights as a legal resident there when I am married to an American Citizen.

What can I do if I will be discriminated in going inside a rich restaurant or shopping at rich stores, and they don't want me inside because of my ethnicity? One of my friends from the Philippines went inside a store, she could afford to buy the store's products but she wasn't treated well because she is Asian. I don't want that to happen to me. Can I sue them? what about if others are too harsh on me; nasty words, disrespecting me, insulting where I came from, etc.. I can excuse 1-3times I think but if I couldn't take it anymore?

Please advice. Thank you very much!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I would like to know my rights as a legal resident there when I am married to an American Citizen.

What can I do if I will be discriminated in going inside a rich restaurant or shopping at rich stores, and they don't want me inside because of my ethnicity? One of my friends from the Philippines went inside a store, she could afford to buy the store's products but she wasn't treated well because she is Asian. I don't want that to happen to me. Can I sue them? what about if others are too harsh on me; nasty words, disrespecting me, insulting where I came from, etc.. I can excuse 1-3times I think but if I couldn't take it anymore?

Welcome to the USA.... shops can choose who they want as a customer in the same way you can choose which shops to shop in... as for people being rude to you.... there is not a lot you can do about that other than put it down to their ingnorance....

But if you go looking for predjudace you will find it....

Kez

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you?

Yes, you can sue for racial discrimination.

And your friend prolly wasn't telling you the whole story. If she was telling you the whole story, it could very well be an isolated circumstance. Sometimes people put up their "wrong" defenses. People could just be rude jerks and are treated like one because of that, not because of their skin color.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is against the Law to discriminate in the USA, you do have the right to sue if you are discriminated against.

My wife is Chinese, and has not encountered any rude behavior at any store or restaurant.

Also discrimination can be more common in different parts of the country, and who is discriminated against can also vary from place to place. Again it is not too common.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

are you now in the us? where in the philippines you live?

visit my blog: www.louellaskinner.blogspot.com and please pm me so that i can add your blog to mine...

Timeline

For situations like that, ask to speak with the manager. Most businesses will try to resolve the problem quickly because it's bad publicity to discriminate against patrons. If for some reason, you don't get a satisfactory reply by the manager, I'd suggest you take it to above that person (everyone has a boss). It would be difficult to sue unless the business was aware of the discrimination by an employee(s) and did nothing to stop it.

From my observation with my wife (she's Cebuano), her accent makes it sometimes difficult for others to understand what she's saying and if it's a busy place like a restaurant, they don't have much patience. I'd recommend trying to work on your pronunciation of words and how you say things, but just because someone may not understand you is not an excuse for them to be rude to you. Again, asking to speak to the manager will usually solve the problem and sometimes they'll offer a free meal. :star:

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

How do you know it was bc she was asian?? it couldve been bc the sales rep was having a pissy day and was taking it out on anyone. Unless she said " your asian and i wont want to assist you" then i wouldnt cry descrimination. (not you in general, anyone who thinks this)

And i wouldnt worry about anything here, USA is an immigrated country

Edited by Ionescu

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Can I sue them?

welcome to america....you are learning quickly

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Can I sue them?

welcome to america....you are learning quickly

No shitt. Can you imagine how tied up our courts would be for each incident when someone used nasty words, disrespected a person, insulted where he/she came from, etc. :lol:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
How do you know it was bc she was asian?? it couldve been bc the sales rep was having a pissy day and was taking it out on anyone. Unless she said " your asian and i wont want to assist you" then i wouldnt cry descrimination. (not you in general, anyone who thinks this)

And i wouldnt worry about anything here, USA is an immigrated country

Exactly. If you don't have absolute proof that she was "being discriminated against because she was Asian" then why worry about it? Even Americans have problems with service -- if need be, you can speak to a manager. Thinking about suing someone is rather extreme.

As for your rights once you are a Legal Permanent Resident read here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Rights

As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.

Rights

To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).

To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.

To be protected by all of the laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions.

To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required.

Exceptions

Some jobs will be limited to United States Citizens because of security concerns.

You may not vote in elections limited to United States Citizens.

Responsibilities

You are required to obey all of the laws of the United States, the States, and localities.

You are required to file your income tax returns and report you income to the US Internal Revenue Service and State IRS.

You are expected to support the democratic form of government and cannot attempt to change the government through illegal means.

If you are a male, age 18 through 25, you are required to register with the Selective Service.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to the USA.... shops can choose who they want as a customer in the same way you can choose which shops to shop in... as for people being rude to you.... there is not a lot you can do about that other than put it down to their ingnorance....

But if you go looking for predjudace you will find it....

Kez

Not only that, but IMHO I do believe you will have a very hard time suing someone just because they appear to be discriminatory towards you. Not saying it's easy to hear harsh (or rude) statements made towards you (god knows I've heard plenty in my lifetime) but it happens. Toughen up girl!

Suing someone....the great American way. *shakes head and laughs*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think she meant she was out to sue. I think her basic question is whether or not she has any recourse against discrimination.

No, I knew what she meant. It's just funny how that's the first thing of concern. IF she can sue. :whistle:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
I don't think she meant she was out to sue. I think her basic question is whether or not she has any recourse against discrimination.

No, I knew what she meant. It's just funny how that's the first thing of concern. IF she can sue. :whistle:

There's as many stereotypes out there about us Americans as there are of all them foreigners. :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A chance at "free" money? Sure why the hell not. I see she posted another thread in the K1 forum asking about qualifying income. Does 1+1 actually equal 2? :huh:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007