ceman2020

Us citizen marrying Iranian national need advice.

49 posts in this topic

Timeline
Just now, ceman2020 said:

any pointing in the right direction will be helpful. I have zero experience with immigration anywhere. the only place ive ever been outside the USA personally is Mexico, and that was in middle school when we would just ride our bikes across the border. was a bit safer then, though still a horrible idea at the time. in any case we're now in the information gathering stage. 

Luckily, you've already found the most helpful site on DIY immigration. 

However, if you haven't met your fiancé yet, that's a much bigger issue in the eyes of USCIS. You have to have proof of a bonafide relationship, to give you an example, I used marriage certs, 3 years of pictures together with my family and my wife's, an apartment lease with both of our names on it, etc. You're going to need stuff like that lined up before you move any further. 

1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

Ecu visa requirements for U.S. citizens:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Ecuador.html

Click the tab for the consulates to find out whether they can answer your question about an Iranian citizen staying for an extended time.

thank you :) i have free time after work tomorrow and i intend to dig into as much as i can. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Guayaquil, Ecu's biggest city, can be very dangerous.

Quito, second-largest, is the capital city.

Cuenca, third-largest, is cooler and in the mountains.

Salaries anywhere in Ecu will be a pittance, making it tougher to qualify financially for immigration.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 minutes ago, ceman2020 said:

so in your opinion with her situation my biggest concern is her safety if she returns to Iran while waiting. that being considered, do you think it will be quicker in the long run as well as safer to meet and apply for a k1 or to meet and marry and go that route. the latter is obviously safer but obviously more complicated and more expensive. the expense i can live with. it will just require more effort on my part but i am young and strong so i can work like a dog. 

met online. not met in person yet. 

I'm not a safety expert.  Since you have to meet anyway, get married and take the spouse visa route. You'll be glad you did.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, Orzo said:

Luckily, you've already found the most helpful site on DIY immigration. 

However, if you haven't met your fiancé yet, that's a much bigger issue in the eyes of USCIS. You have to have proof of a bonafide relationship, to give you an example, I used marriage certs, 3 years of pictures together with my family and my wife's, an apartment lease with both of our names on it, etc. You're going to need stuff like that lined up before you move any further. 

i dont think that leases with our names on it will be possible. we can meet and get married. it seems like that might be the better option instead of just meeting and tyring to apply for this k1 im guessing? 

2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Ecu visa requirements for U.S. citizens:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Ecuador.html

Click the tab for the consulates to find out whether they can answer your question about an Iranian citizen staying for an extended time.

OP’s thought process for Ecuador was in trying to plan for where she would have a visa interview.   They haven’t even met in person yet, so the interview is many years in the future.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ceman2020 said:

the better option

See the comparison, as compiled by our fine member Crazy Cat:

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
    CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Guayaquil, Ecu's biggest city, can be very dangerous.

Quito, second-largest, is the capital city.

Cuenca, third-largest, is cooler and in the mountains.

Salaries anywhere in Ecu will be a pittance.

yeah thats the main concern. the only other place she can go to without a visa on this side of the planet is dominica. and thats probably more dangerous for a woman than ecuador. i know the cost of living in ecuador is low so i figured i could get a nicer place or at least a place in a nicer area. of the areas in ecuador, are there any with some spots that are at least particularly safe? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

OP’s thought process for Ecuador was in trying to plan for where she would have a visa interview.   They haven’t even met in person yet, so the interview is many years in the future.

True; however, if she can stay for only 90 days without a visa to be there for longer, she wouldn't qualify as a resident there for an interview.  The OP can at least begin collecting current information and check for updates later, over time.

i dont think that leases with our names on it will be possible. we can meet and get married. it seems like that might be the better option instead of just meeting and tyring to apply for this k1 im guessing? 

You can’t just meet, marry, and apply.   The burden of proof will be on you to establish that it is a bonafide marriage, and for high risk/high fraud countries like Iran, that is best done by spending lots of time together.   It is not recommended to meet, marry on the first trip and petition her immediately.

If there is an age difference, or if she is Muslim and you are not, those are considered to be “red flags,” which you will have to overcome with the best evidence possible.

2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

See the comparison, as compiled by our fine member Crazy Cat:

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
    CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

in our case as shes from Iran, its likely she will not be able to return unless their govt topples or the ayatollah comes into this century. neither of which are likely soon. so her traveling outside the usa would only be to meet family, and that likely wouldnt occur within a couple years of her getting here since its gonna cost an arm and a leg to have a visit. 

True; however, if she can stay for only 90 days without a visa to be there for longer, she wouldn't qualify as a resident there for an interview.  The OP can at least begin collecting current information and check for updates later, over time.

well the thought process was we get married, and she can stay up to six months without a visa, i just havent gotten a chance to contact the ecuadorian embassy to ask if she can just leave and return to renew that status or if it will be more complicated than that, which i am beginning to see it very well may be. 

Timeline

of the areas in ecuador, are there any with some spots that are at least particularly safe? 

It depends where you live.  As anywhere, "your rent buys your neighbors."

2 minutes ago, ceman2020 said:

the cost of living in ecuador is low

Not so much, now.  You might web-search for outfits that help gringos relocate to Ecu.

In addition, there are two sets of prices for everything:  one for Ecus, a higher one for gringos.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You can’t just meet, marry, and apply.   The burden of proof will be on you to establish that it is a bonafide marriage, and for high risk/high fraud countries like Iran, that is best done by spending lots of time together.   It is not recommended to meet, marry on the first trip and petition her immediately.

If there is an age difference, or if she is Muslim and you are not, those are considered to be “red flags,” which you will have to overcome with the best evidence possible.

shes not particularly attached to islam. we are both the same age. shes willing to convert to Christianity, however in this day and age that probably doesnt go for much. 

2 minutes ago, ceman2020 said:

in our case as shes from Iran, its likely she will not be able to return unless their govt topples or the ayatollah comes into this century. neither of which are likely soon. so her traveling outside the usa would only be to meet family, and that likely wouldnt occur within a couple years of her getting here since its gonna cost an arm and a leg to have a visit. 

Start saving your money now, and look for a joint sponsor.

Travel and US immigration cost thousands and thousands of dollars.   And all the fees are about to go up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.