sw6chung

IV approved at interview.. Still waiting for passport - MTL

19 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Had my FB4 immigrant visa interview at montreal on Jan 10, 2023. I was approved on the spot in 2 minutes and was told that my passport should return in 2 weeks. On CEAC it shows "refused" the day of the interview.. I understand that it's probably administrative processing. I was never given a 221g or a refusal only a "I intend to approve". Our passports are still at the consulate. Is anyone in a familiar situation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Refused is a normal part of the processing.  If you weren't handed a 221g or a DS-5535, just hold on.  Montreal is SLOW with processing.  Today marks 10 business days from your interview, so I suspect you might see a status change by the weeks' end.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

If I were in your shoes I'd email the embassy to see what is going on: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov. It can take 4-6 business days for them to respond. Someone else mentioned they were approved on the spot and when they emailed the embassy they were placed in administrative processing.

I had my interview on October 31st got 221g. I emailed the embassy 2 weeks later and was told to submit my police certificate. Still not approved despite submitting my missing document. Slow is an understatement dealing with Montreal consulate. More like incompetent and inefficient.

Edited by Tiabeanie

20 hours ago, Miriam84 said:

Do you have any update with your passport? I went to Montreal on January 17th and got approved, but it also show refused when I log in. Officer told me it was based on waiting for medical and then passport will be shipped. 

Hi, no update... For myself I had all my medical and everything. Did you reach back to the consulate through email to see what was missing? Or did the officer tell you that they are waiting for your medical?

3 minutes ago, sw6chung said:

Hi, no update... For myself I had all my medical and everything. Did you reach back to the consulate through email to see what was missing? Or did the officer tell you that they are waiting for your medical?

I have emailed them twice now asking for an update. Officer said waiting on medical they gave me the THE FOREIGN SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA letter. 

I have an expedited case so why I didn’t do the medical in advance. I did it a day before my interview. 

Have you tried to email the consulate? 

2 minutes ago, Miriam84 said:

I have emailed them twice now asking for an update. Officer said waiting on medical they gave me the THE FOREIGN SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA letter. 

I have an expedited case so why I didn’t do the medical in advance. I did it a day before my interview. 

Have you tried to email the consulate? 

I actually JUST emailed the consulate, since it's been 13 business days since my interview... I also had an expedited case, but I was able to get my medical and everything submitted. Is that letter a 221g??

2 minutes ago, sw6chung said:

I actually JUST emailed the consulate, since it's been 13 business days since my interview... I also had an expedited case, but I was able to get my medical and everything submitted. Is that letter a 221g??

Yes the letter indicated that: 

The following remarks apply in your case:
Medical report
X WARNING:

If you fail to take the action requested within one year following visa denial under Section
221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act then Section 203(g of the Act will require termination of the petition on which your visa application was based.

The officer was so nice, he promised to get my passport sent out as soon as he receives the medical.. now I am so worried this will take a while. 
Do you check the ais and ceac website regularly. I think I check hourly lol

Hopefully  we hear something today. 

@Miriam84, historically anything submitted after the interview to the consulate in Montreal, means a delay of 6-8 weeks. 

Hopefully it will be faster for you.

Edited by Lemonslice

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My interview was on Jan,22nd (CR1). I got approved on the spot, but they kept my passport while waiting for my medical to be sent to them. They also told me that it might only take a few days to process, but it's now week 4 (they received my medical on Jan,24), and my status still shows REFUSED.

Last action was on Feb,6th.

Is anyone in the same situation or has an idea of how longI should start to panic? 😩

Edited by TeamSariff

Timeline
3 hours ago, TeamSariff said:

My interview was on Jan,22nd (CR1). I got approved on the spot, but they kept my passport while waiting for my medical to be sent to them. They also told me that it might only take a few days to process, but it's now week 4 (they received my medical on Jan,24), and my status still shows REFUSED.

Last action was on Feb,6th.

Is anyone in the same situation or has an idea of how longI should start to panic? 😩

Typically a mailroom receives documents on the specified dates, but it doesn't mean your CO has actually had the document cross their desk and deposit itself into your file, unfortunately.  You can send an inquiry.  I wouldn't panic yet.  Montreal moves at the speed of sloth.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, mam521 said:

Typically a mailroom receives documents on the specified dates, but it doesn't mean your CO has actually had the document cross their desk and deposit itself into your file, unfortunately.  You can send an inquiry.  I wouldn't panic yet.  Montreal moves at the speed of sloth.  

Thanks for your answer :)

Hopefully, I will receive some positive news within the six-week window! I wish the interviewer had provided me a more accurate timeframe when I asked about the return of my passport. They mentioned it would only take a matter of days, so I went ahead and arranged to transfer my lease and booked a plane ticket for March 15th. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but I still have some time ahead. In hindsight, I realize it was my mistake; I should have waited to have my visa in hand before making any arrangements. 😅

Timeline
1 hour ago, TeamSariff said:

Thanks for your answer :)

Hopefully, I will receive some positive news within the six-week window! I wish the interviewer had provided me a more accurate timeframe when I asked about the return of my passport. They mentioned it would only take a matter of days, so I went ahead and arranged to transfer my lease and booked a plane ticket for March 15th. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but I still have some time ahead. In hindsight, I realize it was my mistake; I should have waited to have my visa in hand before making any arrangements. 😅

You learned exactly what USCIS warns - never book travel or get rid of a property until you have the visa in hand.  I don't honestly think the CO's have any real idea of timelines.  They're just along for the ride, like us laypeople.  

Fingers crossed your case gets tidied up under a truncated timeline!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.