Talo

Questions for Interview

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I got my naturalization interview scheduled for next month and I am trying to make sure that I have everything that I need. I did some online research but still have a couple of questions:

Just to provide additional context: My wife is American by birth and we got married in 2015. I got a green card 3 years ago and I applied for naturalization based on the 3 year rule.

- Certified tax returns? I downloaded my tax returns from IRS website, but some webpages say that this is not enough and that you need a "Certified copy" that you need to request by mail. Did anyone need this? Or does the one downloaded from their website work?

- We are having some trouble finding my wife's birth certificate. Would bringing her American passport be good enough to prove her citizenship?

- Should I brin my wife to the interview? The letter only mentions translator and lawyers, but some info online says that I should bring my wife, and others say that she will not be allowed in the building. Any thoughts?

- My appointment is Feb 15, and I travel internationally on March 22. Will I have problems re-entering the country? Not sure how long do thing take, or if they take my green card away when becoming a citizen.

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Talo said:

but some webpages say that this is not enough and that you need a "Certified copy" that you need to request by mail. Did anyone need this?

you do not need certified copy

1 hour ago, Talo said:

certificate. Would bringing her American passport be good enough to prove her citizenship?

Usually a passport  will be enough 

1 hour ago, Talo said:

mentions translator and lawyers, but some info online says that I should bring my wife, and others say that she will not be allowed in the building. Any thoughts?

Varies by field office and ISO.  If she doesn’t mind, she should try to attend. 

1 hour ago, Talo said:

March 22. Will I have problems re-entering the country? Not sure how long do thing take, or if they take my green card away when becoming a citizen.

When you take oath of citizenship you lose your gc.  If you have same day oath then you will have a challenge getting a U.S. passport in time. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
1 hour ago, Talo said:

We are having some trouble finding my wife's birth certificate.

You should order a new copy; you should be able to oder a certified copy of the jurisdiction your spouse is born in, most likely online. The interviewing officer may require you to get a birth certificate. A US passport may work, but it may not work if does not prove your spouse has been a US citizen for more than 3 years (new passport).

1 hour ago, Talo said:

- Certified tax returns? I downloaded my tax returns from IRS website,

Copy of Tax transcripts are good as downloaded from IRS website, no need to get certified copy of tax transcripts. 

1 hour ago, Talo said:

- Should I brin my wife to the interview?

Yes, if you can, there is a small chance the IO may want to talk to her, it could be helpful. Most likely they will not be called into the naturalization interview, but it looks better to have the officer see your spouse is there.

***Submit proof you have been living with your spouse for the last 3 years...

The one thing I am not seeing listed in your case is evidence that you have been cohabiting with your US citizen spouse for the previous 3 years, evidence like joint tax returns, copies state ID with same address, photos together, joint lease/joint mortgage, proof of travel together, letters address to common address, w2/1099 last 3 year showing common address and so on. In addition to continuous residency for the past 3 years you also need to prove you have been living with your spouse at your home address for the past 3 years also. 

2 hours ago, Talo said:

- My appointment is Feb 15, and I travel internationally on March 22. Will I have problems re-entering the country? Not sure how long do thing take, or if they will take my green card away when becoming a citizen.

Yes, you may have an issue with international travel in March 2023. One you take your Oath you are a US citizen your green card becomes invalid (USCIS will take your GC). You will need a US passport to travel outside the USA which will take 6 weeks or so unless expedited.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

49 minutes ago, da95826 said:

You should order a new copy; you should be able to oder a certified copy of the jurisdiction your spouse is born in, most likely online. The interviewing officer may require you to get a birth certificate. A US passport may work, but it may not work if does not prove your spouse has been a US citizen for more than 3 years (new passport).

Copy of Tax transcripts are good as downloaded from IRS website, no need to get certified copy of tax transcripts. 

Yes, if you can, there is a small chance the IO may want to talk to her, it could be helpful. Most likely they will not be called into the naturalization interview, but it looks better to have the officer see your spouse is there.

***Submit proof you have been living with your spouse for the last 3 years...

The one thing I am not seeing listed in your case is evidence that you have been cohabiting with your US citizen spouse for the previous 3 years, evidence like joint tax returns, copies state ID with same address, photos together, joint lease/joint mortgage, proof of travel together, letters address to common address, w2/1099 last 3 year showing common address and so on. In addition to continuous residency for the past 3 years you also need to prove you have been living with your spouse at your home address for the past 3 years also. 

Yes, you may have an issue with international travel in March 2023. One you take your Oath you are a US citizen your green card becomes invalid (USCIS will take your GC). You will need a US passport to travel outside the USA which will take 6 weeks or so unless expedited.

Thank you both! Yes, I do have evidence of living together. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.