AKteacher

13a - Apply in advance or wait until arrival?

23 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Your wife's situation was exactly my wifes situation, I think she was around 5 years old as well.  Because of that, we had to get the NBI AKA for USCIS.

Yea, we had to get NBI AKA as well.  It didn't help that my wife kind of randomly switched back and forth between names throughout her life so there are all kinds of important paperwork in randomly differing names.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've had a 13A for, hmmmm, 14 years maybe? If you wan5 one I recommend getting it anywhere but the Philippines so you only have to do it once. Wish I had known it could be done in the US. I left the Philippines every other year since I got it. I calculated after I had it for 10 years or so, it was just then becoming the cheaper option than the BB visa with annual trips for 2 to (wherever).  This is due to the fact that a BB pays nothing on departure whereas a 13A has to pay about p2880 to the BI and p1640 travel tax (every time you depart). Also, a 13A has to pay p310 AR every year and renew their ACR-I card every 5 years which runs something like $50 plus p5k or whatever.  Probably the biggest reason to get the 13A over BB is for tax advantages if you have foreign income. As a 13A holder, you are bona fide resident of a foreign country and are eligible for foreign income exclusion regardless of the time spent in the US each year. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh, and 1 other major advantage to the 13A over the BB visa showed up during the scamdemic where guys with families had been doing annual visa runs with their wives to Hong Kong or wherever to refresh their visas were suddenly unable to return. They could leave no problem but it was a 1 way trip and their wives couldn't leave as tourists.  Many just went over their year meaning they had to start doing tourist visa extensions. When they, and regular tourists, got to the 3 year point, they had to pay some hefty fines which were accompanied with a 'get out of dodge' order.  While I was free to come and at will. When flights were available, of course. My wife couldn't leave though on a B-2 for about 8 months. 

Edited by Skyman

• 1 month later...

These updates have been extremely helpful. Salamat. Most of you know that I will be starting the 13A/move process in a few months and, while exciting, it is a bit daunting too. I THINK what I am about to say is true but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong: Doesn't the 13A also allow you to work in the Philippines but not the BB? I feel like I felt 11 years ago when Joan was coming here!

I want to (again) thank all of you. I hope that my experiences and comments have helped some people along the way, but I KNOW you have all helped--and continue to help--us for 11 years.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, Stevephoto said:

These updates have been extremely helpful. Salamat. Most of you know that I will be starting the 13A/move process in a few months and, while exciting, it is a bit daunting too. I THINK what I am about to say is true but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong: Doesn't the 13A also allow you to work in the Philippines but not the BB? I feel like I felt 11 years ago when Joan was coming here!

You can work on a 13a.  See Section 2 item "e" at the link.  You're exempt from obtain a work permit.

https://www.dole.gov.ph/news/department-order-186-17-revised-rules-for-the-issuance-of-employment-permits-to-foreign-nationals/

You can not work on a BB.

Finally done.

11 hours ago, Talako said:

You can work on a 13a.  See Section 2 item "e" at the link.  You're exempt from obtain a work permit.

https://www.dole.gov.ph/news/department-order-186-17-revised-rules-for-the-issuance-of-employment-permits-to-foreign-nationals/

You can not work on a BB.

That is `what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, Skyman said:

I've had a 13A for, hmmmm, 14 years maybe? If you wan5 one I recommend getting it anywhere but the Philippines so you only have to do it once. Wish I had known it could be done in the US. I left the Philippines every other year since I got it. I calculated after I had it for 10 years or so, it was just then becoming the cheaper option than the BB visa with annual trips for 2 to (wherever).  This is due to the fact that a BB pays nothing on departure whereas a 13A has to pay about p2880 to the BI and p1640 travel tax (every time you depart). Also, a 13A has to pay p310 AR every year and renew their ACR-I card every 5 years which runs something like $50 plus p5k or whatever.  Probably the biggest reason to get the 13A over BB is for tax advantages if you have foreign income. As a 13A holder, you are bona fide resident of a foreign country and are eligible for foreign income exclusion regardless of the time spent in the US each year. 

I just got my 13a visa from the Chicago consulate.  Was straight forward.  Great info, but would like to know if other things I've read are truth.  If I don't stay six months am I exempt the BI requirement.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.