ExtremeLove

NewI-134A , Online Request to be a Supporter and Declaration of Financial Support-

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I like to get clarity on the length of support responsibility. I have read that sponsors on this new I-134A for Cubans are for the length of the parole, which is for 2 years. My question is, after the change in status and the beneficiary becomes a resident of the U.S. is the sponsor released of his support roll or does it continue until the 10yr rule or they become US Citizen, ect.. also like to know the same thing in the case of a K-1 visa,  

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I-134 is rarely enforced, if ever.

When the beneficiary applies for AOS, the sponsor will need to submit the I-864, which is binding and is in effect until the beneficiary has 40 working quarters (10 years) or the beneficiary becomes a USC

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Timeline
4 hours ago, ExtremeLove said:

I like to get clarity on the length of support responsibility. I have read that sponsors on this new I-134A for Cubans are for the length of the parole, which is for 2 years. My question is, after the change in status and the beneficiary becomes a resident of the U.S. is the sponsor released of his support roll or does it continue until the 10yr rule or they become US Citizen, ect..

Thank you

Timeline
On 1/13/2023 at 3:02 AM, ExtremeLove said:

I like to get clarity on the length of support responsibility. I have read that sponsors on this new I-134A for Cubans are for the length of the parole, which is for 2 years. My question is, after the change in status and the beneficiary becomes a resident of the U.S. is the sponsor released of his support roll or does it continue until the 10yr rule or they become US Citizen, ect.. also like to know the same thing in the case of a K-1 visa,  

Thank you

Your financial responsibility is 2 years...Kinda...The parole process would allow them to work almost instantly, so if you trust your beneficiary would work and not live off of you. But really then you're on the hook for only two years. HOWEVER, Cuban's are really only 1 year and 1 day. Cuban's have a special permission that allow them to gain residency in US after being here one year and one day. It is the only country that is allowed this privilege. 

Timeline

From another thread though, I read that this sponsorship is complete unenforceable by the US government. So if you Sponsor someone, they arrive and then attempt to get say medical insurance from the marketplace (which they do qualify for), the premiums they would pay would be based on how much money they intend to make in the next year. If this amount is below some minimum threshold then this insurance would be heavily subsidized and possibly even free. Additionally I would assume they could qualify for programs like SNAP (food stamps) and other programs. In general - Although you are agreeing to financially support this beneficiary for a period of two years, the reality of the situation is that the government has no means to make sure the sponsor does make good on that financial sponsorship.  

NOTE - I have only filed parole for my future wife. When she comes to the US on either Parole or on K1, I intend to support her financially and she wont be on any government assistance programs just like I am not on any government assistance programs.  What I wrote in the first paragraph is not applicable in my situation and I only wrote it as to what I understand of the program. If I am incorrect, I would very much appreciate someone correcting my information. 

tagging @Boiler as I think they will have an opinion here or information here.

Timeline

I’m asking for others that ask and I don’t want to give wrong information. In my personal situation, I did a k1 back in 2019 before COVID, and it became a nightmare of a wait and obstacles to overcome. I became very familiar with USCIS page and requirements to get her here with only my assets. At the time nobody was saying it could be done or even an option. And most people were in a bad spot to be a sponsor because lack of work. But since she arrived, we’ve traveled the country, (NOT as YouTubers, I don’t got it like that) in a Semi, while I thought her how to become a broker/dispatcher. We did ok for our first venture, but it got old fast when the trucking industry started crashing. We came home and she got a job at a factory even though I’m against it, she likes her independency and says she’s not here to be a full-time housewife. If only others would think like her !!!!  I have to admit for about 30 yrs now, I have been content and taking it easy with my investment being my main source of income, now it seems I have to step up my game once again. 

Back to the comment: I do appreciate the info, and while I do know these loopholes do work for the most part, I also know that it doesn’t stop the government from enforcing the law at any given time! Even if at first it may look like you’re getting away with it. This means  back fines, court hearings, and Fraudulent acts committed. One thing I have learned in my 40yrs in this wonderful Country is, pick your battles with government officials wisely, and don’t try to play the IRS! Both can get you time in prison.  Besides, at the time the person goes to change their status, you really think USCIS will not check if they committed fraud by applying for help?  So even if they don’t get it, it’s on record that they applied for it, and that could cost them the status they were trying to obtain. 

Good luck, 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.