AdelineF

i-751 - Mailing address / Temporary physical address

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Hello everyone!

I am finishing the last step on my ROC application, and I am not sure what to do about Part 1 (16-17) of the I-751 form.

My husband and I just relocated to another area in the same state. We sold our house and moved November 1st but we’re in a temporary accommodation (Airbnb) and might not be there for more than a month or two (until we buy a house).

We changed our USCIS address to my in laws about 1,5 month ago. We wrote a letter of explanation to make everything clear for the USCIS officer and explain our situation but I don’t want to mess up the I-751 form.

I will put my in laws address as our mailing address as planned, but should I say “Yes” to the question asking if our physical address is different? It is different, so I don’t want to lie, but at the same time we’ll be gone in a month or 2, it’s very temporary. I don't want this Airbnb address to be linked to my case. What should I do?

Thank you so much in advance! 😊

IMG_2502.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Yes your physical address is different. 

We were transient and filed an AR-11 online within 10 days after moving.  Sometimes we moved several times during that 10 day period and so we filed just one AR-11 in that 10 year period. We kept our mailing address constant through the process until we had moved into place we bought 

1 hour ago, AdelineF said:
Hello everyone!

I am finishing the last step on my ROC application, and I am not sure what to do about Part 1 (16-17) of the I-751 form.

My husband and I just relocated to another area in the same state. We sold our house and moved November 1st but we’re in a temporary accommodation (Airbnb) and might not be there for more than a month or two (until we buy a house).

We changed our USCIS address to my in laws about 1,5 month ago. We wrote a letter of explanation to make everything clear for the USCIS officer and explain our situation but I don’t want to mess up the I-751 form.

I will put my in laws address as our mailing address as planned, but should I say “Yes” to the question asking if our physical address is different? It is different, so I don’t want to lie, but at the same time we’ll be gone in a month or 2, it’s very temporary. I don't want this Airbnb address to be linked to my case. What should I do?

Thank you so much in advance! 😊

IMG_2502.jpg

We left our address with my relative for a couple months until we found a permanent place.  We did not change our address around, update our drivers licenses, or change our bank/credit card billing either every time we booked a hotel.

Temporary accommodations do not trigger an address change. 

Timeline

We didn't update our DMV, bank/credit card address either with each hotel booking. No need because we had a stable mailing address. The question was about AR-11.

DHS wants your physical location. It is the law. Even a tourist (excluding those on a visa waiver) is expected to file AR-11 when moving on to a different hotel.

Granted these laws aren't enforced much.  However, this law can be used to remove an LPR from the USA:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1306&num=0&edition=prelim

(b) Failure to notify change of address

Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by part IV of this subchapter, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.

As an LPR, I broke this law half the time.

I did not disclose that I broke this law on my N-400, and yet despite such lack of Good Moral Character, took oath of citizenship.

For my wife, I've ensured she is squeaky clean.  Thus she did not have this dilemma on her N-400 to disclose she broken

It takes less time to file AR-11 online than it does to move your luggage from the trunk of the car to your hotel room.

If it is too much trouble, you can do a paper AR-11 and indicate on the form that you are transient. I suggest first doing an electronic AR-11, as USCIS will send both an acknowledgment and a confirmation, whereas to date I've received neither for a paper AR-11, dating back to 1996 through 2016.

Then following up with a paper AR-11 at  the next hotel check in to indicate transiency. It will of course get ignored, but it will be on file in the event DHS decides to enforce this law, or USCIS uses the law to deny N-400s.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
On 1/10/2023 at 9:59 PM, iwannaplay54 said:

We left our address with my relative for a couple months until we found a permanent place.  We did not change our address around, update our drivers licenses, or change our bank/credit card billing either every time we booked a hotel.

Temporary accommodations do not trigger an address change. 

Thank you for your response 🙂 I didn’t mean change my address with an AR-11 but what to answer about my physical address being different from my mailing address (which is my in laws’ address where all our mail is transferred. 

Timeline
On 1/11/2023 at 6:02 AM, Mike E said:

We didn't update our DMV, bank/credit card address either with each hotel booking. No need because we had a stable mailing address. The question was about AR-11.

DHS wants your physical location. It is the law. Even a tourist (excluding those on a visa waiver) is expected to file AR-11 when moving on to a different hotel.

Granted these laws aren't enforced much.  However, this law can be used to remove an LPR from the USA:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1306&num=0&edition=prelim

I did not disclose that I broke this law on my N-400, and yet despite such lack of Good Moral Character, took oath of citizenship.

For my wife, I've ensured she is squeaky clean.  Thus she did not have this dilemma on her N-400 to disclose she broken

It takes less time to file AR-11 online than it does to move your luggage from the trunk of the car to your hotel room.

If it is too much trouble, you can do a paper AR-11 and indicate on the form that you are transient. I suggest first doing an electronic AR-11, as USCIS will send both an acknowledgment and a confirmation, whereas to date I've received neither for a paper AR-11, dating back to 1996 through 2016.

Then following up with a paper AR-11 at  the next hotel check in to indicate transiency. It will of course get ignored, but it will be on file in the event DHS decides to enforce this law, or USCIS uses the law to deny N-400s.

Thank you so much for your response ! 

On 1/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, Mike E said:

I do not play around with immigration laws and there is zero way I would suggest building an AR-11 trail that does not match an I-865 trail in an immigration file based on marriage.  For 15 years, ours perfectly matched.  This is the purpose of my post.

I-865 does not get filed online.  

We broke no laws in failing to disclose every place my wife (or I) stayed in the course of those 15 years while maintaining a fixed residence where vehicles, banks, and other assets were placed and registered to.  
I do not believe that your interpretation of this requirement is accurate.  Your beneficiary files one, you have to file the other.  If you advise this, it is suggested to advise both. 

Timeline

I didn’t say I didn’t file I-865

Where did I say I didn’t?

Enough of the innuendos.  I’m out. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.