Jo-bel

Petitioning Daughters Over 21 Years Old

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I became a member here way back 2008. I am now a US citizen and petitioned my mom is now a US citizen. 

I have unmarried siblings over 21 yrs old in the Philippines. Is it best that my mom will petition them, correct?

My 1st sibling is over 21 yrs old, unmarried w/ 2 minor children and the youngest is over 21 yrs old unmarried w/o child.

Does it slow down the process if my mom petition my sister and her children?

What would be the process to petition them. 

Thanks in advance 

5-20-2013 USC

I-130 Petition for my Mom

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-21-2013 USCIS received the packet/Priority Date

5-22-2013 NOA1

10-28-2013 Expedite Request Submitted with the help of a Senator

11-13-2013 Additional document submitted for expedite process

11-21-13 NOA2

11-25-13 NOA2 hardcopy received

12-19-13 Expedite request approved (forwarded 24 hrs from NVC to consulate) received case number and IIN

12-24-13 Ready for interview schedule

12-26-13 Set the interview schedule

**** She could have the interview as early as Jan 7th but decided not on the rush for medical and for me to have time to forward all the document in the Philippines since I didn't pay or submit anything at NVC

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-27-14 Interview (submitted AOS & Civil documents, paid Visa Fee)

1-30-14 Visa Received

1-31-14 Immigration Fee $165 paid

**** We need my mom urgently but due of the cold weather in Minnesota, we decided to wait for warmer weather. She could be here as early as Feb....

2-3-14 Booked ticket for March due of cold weather

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Jo-bel said:

it best that my mom will petition them, correct?

You and your mom should each file I-130s for your siblings.  

This way if one petitioner passes away, while that petition dies with that petitioner the other petition  lives. 

My 1st sibling is over 21 yrs old, unmarried w/ 2 minor children and the youngest is over 21 yrs old unmarried w/o child.

Does it slow down the process if my mom petition my sister and her children?

Your mom cannot petition her grand children. Your sisters’ children are derivatives.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your mother petitioning them is likely to be the fastest option unless something very weird happens.

Downside is that they should not marry. If they do the the timelines change a lot and best for you to petition them now.

Now you can of course petition them as well, you could have done back when you naturalised.

Children are derivatives so they are not petitioned, whether they will be included depends on age when this becomes possible and how long the I 130 takes to process, not something to worry about now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I should petitioned them long time ago, was not in the plan before until we tried visit visa but denied.  
A lot for readings to do...

So if my mom and I both petitioned same persons we need to pay separate fee for them?

5-20-2013 USC

I-130 Petition for my Mom

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-21-2013 USCIS received the packet/Priority Date

5-22-2013 NOA1

10-28-2013 Expedite Request Submitted with the help of a Senator

11-13-2013 Additional document submitted for expedite process

11-21-13 NOA2

11-25-13 NOA2 hardcopy received

12-19-13 Expedite request approved (forwarded 24 hrs from NVC to consulate) received case number and IIN

12-24-13 Ready for interview schedule

12-26-13 Set the interview schedule

**** She could have the interview as early as Jan 7th but decided not on the rush for medical and for me to have time to forward all the document in the Philippines since I didn't pay or submit anything at NVC

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-27-14 Interview (submitted AOS & Civil documents, paid Visa Fee)

1-30-14 Visa Received

1-31-14 Immigration Fee $165 paid

**** We need my mom urgently but due of the cold weather in Minnesota, we decided to wait for warmer weather. She could be here as early as Feb....

2-3-14 Booked ticket for March due of cold weather

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Timeline

Yes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.