martinzl

citizenship interview passed

11 posts in this topic

*** Moved from US Citizenship General Discussion to Progress Reports ***

20 hours ago, martinzl said:

Just wanted to post that my wife passed her citizenship interview today.

Congratulations!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Congrats to your wife! You're almost done! Hopefully you get scheduled an oath ceremony date soon!

She should get the letter with the date sometime next week. Figure maybe next month. She was also approved for the 10-year green card but that will be moot. It was a combo interview but the immigration officer basically stuck just to the citizenship interview and she allowed me to stay for it.

3 hours ago, martinzl said:

She should get the letter with the date sometime next week. Figure maybe next month. She was also approved for the 10-year green card but that will be moot. It was a combo interview but the immigration officer basically stuck just to the citizenship interview and she allowed me to stay for it.

Sounds similar to my case lol! I got the oath taking ceremony letter saying that my green card was approved but I'm not getting a 10-year green card since I'm getting my naturalization certificate instead which is obviously a million times better lol! Had a combo interview also and my husband was also allowed to stay for the N-400 portion. Even my IO was joking with us about it saying to my husband, "Don't tell her any answers" while smiling lol. I have heard so many horror stories about terrible IOs but I was so lucky that my IO was so easygoing and made me comfortable. Sounds like your wife was lucky too! 🙂

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just received the letter yesterday that the green card was approved but would not be sent since citizenship was also approved.  Now just waiting for the letter with the date of the oath ceremony. I told my wife to just hold onto the letter in case anyone questions her expired green card.  We may be traveling back to the Philippines this summer.  She should have her citizenship by then but delays being what they are, I don't know if she will have a US passport by then. If she doesn't should she get an I-551 stamp for her valid Philippine passport or can she travel with the Philippine passport and her US citizenship papers?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, martinzl said:

If she doesn't should she get an I-551 stamp for her valid Philippine passport or can she travel with the Philippine passport and her US citizenship papers?

Once she has taken the oath for US citizenship, she cannot travel outside the US without a US passport.  As a US citizen, She will not qualify for an ADIT stamp.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

36 minutes ago, martinzl said:

Right now they're saying 6-9 weeks to get a passport so we'll just have to wait and see.  First step is citizenship.

Applied for spouse and its mid.7 weeks and still processing, provided there are ton of holidays until 1st. We are hoping she will get it some time next week, full 9 weeks due to holidays.

10 hours ago, martinzl said:

If she doesn't should she get an I-551 stamp for her valid Philippine passport or can she travel with the Philippine passport and her US citizenship papers?

Your wife will no longer be a Filipino once she takes her US oath.  Under PH law, her existing PH passport will be void at that point.  Legally, she will need to re-acquire her Filipino citizenship and get a new PH passport from a PH consulate.  It would likely be faster to apply for a US passport.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.