ctr

Crossing at POE on IR1

7 posts in this topic

My IR1 was recently issued and I'm planning on crossing at Windsor/Detroit border to activate it before returning to Canada on the same day.

1. Is there any issue if I tell the officer I'm returning the same day if asked?

2. My spouse is here with me in Canada and we plan on crossing together to activate my visa. Is that ok or does my spouse need to be in the US beforehand?

3. Do I need to carry all documents submitted to USCIS and NVC?

4. Do I have to import my car when activating the visa or can I do it another time?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
53 minutes ago, ctr said:

My IR1 was recently issued and I'm planning on crossing at Windsor/Detroit border to activate it before returning to Canada on the same day.

1. Is there any issue if I tell the officer I'm returning the same day if asked?

2. My spouse is here with me in Canada and we plan on crossing together to activate my visa. Is that ok or does my spouse need to be in the US beforehand?

3. Do I need to carry all documents submitted to USCIS and NVC?

4. Do I have to import my car when activating the visa or can I do it another time?

Thank you!

1. No issue. You may get a talking to about the visa is to live in the US not visit. Be prepared to simply state that you are returning to Canada to tie up the loose ends and will be back in the US in a few ( weeks/… ) 

2. Together is fine or she can go ahead if that suits 

3. passport and anything given to you by the Consulate .. most immigrants do not have the “sealed envelope ” any more as its all electronic 

4. Yes you would be required to have all the vehicle importation paperwork with you if you cross in your car. Perhaps a rental vehicle would be best,  unless your spouse has a vehicle already registered in a US state  If you are going back same day you only need a single days car hire 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

1. No issue. You may get a talking to about the visa is to live in the US not visit. Be prepared to simply state that you are returning to Canada to tie up the loose ends and will be back in the US in a few ( weeks/… ) 

2. Together is fine or she can go ahead if that suits 

3. passport and anything given to you by the Consulate .. most immigrants do not have the “sealed envelope ” any more as its all electronic 

4. Yes you would be required to have all the vehicle importation paperwork with you if you cross in your car. Perhaps a rental vehicle would be best,  unless your spouse has a vehicle already registered in a US state  If you are going back same day you only need a single days car hire 

Thank you for your response! One more question - do I need to have a list of belongings I will take with me when I eventually move? Or can I keep taking a few belongings at a time whenever I cross over the next couple of months?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, ctr said:

Thank you for your response! One more question - do I need to have a list of belongings I will take with me when I eventually move? Or can I keep taking a few belongings at a time whenever I cross over the next couple of months?

Yes. Each time you bring things across,  you need to have  list of contents with you on that entry .. personal effects and household goods.

Car uses different paperwork. You have 10 years on PE/HG and 1 yr for the  car .. clock starts ticking on the day you enter  

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-351?language=en_US

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, ctr said:

See:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can absolutely endorse the visa and go back to Canada. That's what I did, also at the Windsor/Detroit POE. I literally just did a couple Michigan lefts after leaving the tunnel, and went right back to Canada.

The post above me about the IR-1 being denied because she didn't quit her job or tie up loose ends first is extremely unusual. I never quit my job...I still commute back to Canada to work every day and have had zero issues doing so (even during covid). So don't let that post above scare you. I also still had my apartment for another few weeks after moving. Nobody asked me about any of that during the endorsement process.

I did import my vehicle at the same time since I was already doing the visa, I figured I might as well do it all at once.

Edited by JlovesA
more info

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
39 minutes ago, JlovesA said:

You can absolutely endorse the visa and go back to Canada. That's what I did, also at the Windsor/Detroit POE. I literally just did a couple Michigan lefts after leaving the tunnel, and went right back to Canada.

The post above me about the IR-1 being denied because she didn't quit her job or tie up loose ends first is extremely unusual

Clearly not absolutely.  

Most people get lucky doing what you did. There are no guarantees.  File for a re-entry permit to be less exposed if absolute is the desired standard. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.