pazzee

Who do I have to update my citizenship status with?

4 posts in this topic

I had my oath ceremony last week and obtained my naturalization certificate. The information packet I received at the ceremony said I should update my citizenship status with Social Security Administration. We were all advised to wait two weeks after the ceremony to make sure that their system is updated. SSA is the only thing that was mentioned regarding updating your status. But, I do know that I have to go to CBP at my local airport to update my Global Entry so that the document I use to scan at the kiosk is updated to the US passport instead of the green card. I don’t have my US passport yet (I applied at the post office and used expedited service the day of my ceremony so I still have weeks before I receive it). But this is what the CBP officer told me during my global entry interview. I also know that people who use federal student aid will also have to update their status. I’m not in school so this doesn’t affect me but it’s just another example where people update their status if it pertains to them and wasn’t mentioned in the information packet.  I want to create a list to prevent any hiccups down the road.

Do I have to update my status with my employer’s HR? How about financial institutions that I bank or have a loan with? I’m pretty sure when I opened my bank accounts and when I got my loan, they asked me for my status.

Thanks in advance!

44 minutes ago, pazzee said:

I had my oath ceremony last week and obtained my naturalization certificate. The information packet I received at the ceremony said I should update my citizenship status with Social Security Administration. We were all advised to wait two weeks after the ceremony to make sure that their system is updated. SSA is the only thing that was mentioned regarding updating your status. But, I do know that I have to go to CBP at my local airport to update my Global Entry so that the document I use to scan at the kiosk is updated to the US passport instead of the green card. I don’t have my US passport yet (I applied at the post office and used expedited service the day of my ceremony so I still have weeks before I receive it). But this is what the CBP officer told me during my global entry interview. I also know that people who use federal student aid will also have to update their status. I’m not in school so this doesn’t affect me but it’s just another example where people update their status if it pertains to them and wasn’t mentioned in the information packet.  I want to create a list to prevent any hiccups down the road.

Do I have to update my status with my employer’s HR? How about financial institutions that I bank or have a loan with? I’m pretty sure when I opened my bank accounts and when I got my loan, they asked me for my status.

Thanks in advance!

Social Security, drivers license, passport, and register to vote are the four things we did as soon as the ink was dry on the naturalization certificate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Do not use global entry until you have a U.S.  passport and until you have updated your global entry with it.  If you attempt global entry without doing these steps you run the risk of global entry being terminated 

Also your global entry card is tied to your old citizenship.  Do not use the card at any CBP port of entry hence firth.  You can order a new card once you get your U.S. passport into the global entry system. 

The next time you renew REAL ID, even if it gives you an online renewal option, renew in person at the motor vehicle department using your passport card.  Do not do so until you have your new social security card.  Update global entry with new REAL ID (can be done online). 

Consider filing a new I-9 at work using your passport card.  This might expand opportunities at work. It also might reduce opportunities.  It depends whether you are in an industry dominated by H1-B workers or not.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.