BananaShoes

N-400 Traffic Violation

9 posts in this topic

Hello. I submitted N-400 earlier this month, and answered the question "23. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" with No. However, it just hit me that I was cited for a simple traffic violation before, and it did not occur me at the time of filing.

Should I upload my driving record and proof of payment with a sweet letter explaining what happened, or should I wait until the interview and explain it then?

Thank you in advance

Edited by BananaShoes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, BananaShoes said:

Hello. I submitted N-400 earlier this month, and answered the question "23. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?"

with No, but I just remembered I was cited for a simple traffic violation earlier.

Should I upload my driving record and proof of payment with a sweet letter explaining what happened, or should I wait until the interview and explain it then?

Thank you in advance

Not sure that uploading documents now will  do anything .. but wont hurt to do so.. at the interview you will tell the IO that you need to correct an error in the N400.. just make sure you have all the correct original official documentation with you 

3 hours ago, BananaShoes said:

Hello. I submitted N-400 earlier this month, and answered the question "23. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" with No. However, it just hit me that I was cited for a simple traffic violation before, and it did not occur me at the time of filing.

Thank you in advance

Bring the proof of payment with you and let he officer know you want to make some changes before he puts you under oath. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been trying to find answers to this question/situation as well -- seems like uploading the documents before your interview can't hurt (shows good moral character and saves the IO some legwork finding documents when you discuss the ticket at the interview). The IO might request a certified copy of the record showing that you paid the fine in person, as well - so best to have that ahead of time.

As long as your ticket was for a fine of less than $500 it probably won't affect your case in any way, but you should have all the official documents you need in hand to fully explain your disclosure and ensure a smooth process.

The online application does state that if its a traffic ticket, you do not need to list it unless it resulted in injury, drink driving, but I also have a ticket from 2012 and managed to get the record

of payment in the event they ask about it

4 hours ago, Rushton50 said:

The online application does state that if its a traffic ticket, you do not need to list it unless it resulted in injury, drink driving, but I also have a ticket from 2012 and managed to get the record

Where exactly does it instruct that? I must have missed it

8 hours ago, Rushton50 said:

I read the N-44 instructions again and I saw what you are talking about. What it says is that those kind of incidents do not need to be documented, but I do not see a mention that they do not need to be disclosed and listed. 

On 11/26/2022 at 4:42 AM, BananaShoes said:

I read the N-44 instructions again and I saw what you are talking about. What it says is that those kind of incidents do not need to be documented, but I do not see a mention that they do not need to be disclosed and listed. 

Information about arrest(s) or conviction(s) removed from your record

You must provide documentation of traffic incidents if:

• The incident involved alcohol or drugs
  • The incident led to an arrest
  • The incident seriously injured another person

The section above on the online application, I guess is down to individual interpretation and as it states "unless"  it resulted in.....My understanding is that it does not require uploaded documentation, but it is always best to have documentation should they ask for it

10 hours ago, Rushton50 said:

Information about arrest(s) or conviction(s) removed from your record

You must provide documentation of traffic incidents if:

• The incident involved alcohol or drugs
  • The incident led to an arrest
  • The incident seriously injured another person

The section above on the online application, I guess is down to individual interpretation and as it states "unless"  it resulted in.....My understanding is that it does not require uploaded documentation, but it is always best to have documentation should they ask for it

Thank you for pointing this out for me. I will document it all and make sure I mention at the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.