Travis J

Petitioner Unemployed - Using Retired Parents as Sponsor that haven't filed taxes in years

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Family said:

To use your wife’s overseas “self-employed “ income would require a great deal more than the letter…and as rigorous as documenting USA self-employment. ..will let @pushbrk walk you through it. 

As for parents  ( Joint Sponsor) age ..I have yet to “ see” a consulate denial for such…though it never fails to be repeated on VJ..

I haven't seen a denial based on age of joint sponsor either.  Even if there was one, it would not be stated that way.

Frankly, I don't really know how to document her online selling income.  In the US, self employed people document their income with a US Federal Tax Return.  She could document hers, I suppose, with a translation of her Taiwan tax return or equivalent.  A letter saying her income will continue no matter where she is, is NOT documentation of the income itself.  What does the wife HAVE to document the income?  That's where to start.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 hours ago, Travis J said:

2) I'm unemployed and wife has internet business with annual income beyond poverty level

Do either of you have liquid assets equal to 3 times (or more than) the poverty level?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I haven't seen a denial based on age of joint sponsor either.  Even if there was one, it would not be stated that way.

Frankly, I don't really know how to document her online selling income.  In the US, self employed people document their income with a US Federal Tax Return.  She could document hers, I suppose, with a translation of her Taiwan tax return or equivalent.  A letter saying her income will continue no matter where she is, is NOT documentation of the income itself.  What does the wife HAVE to document the income?  That's where to start.

Thanks for the explanation. At this point I'll start working on getting my parents paper work together and hope that their sponsorship is enough. After that I'll start thinking about plan B and using wife's income. Taiwan's tax law states that if you make less than, I think its over 120k usd, from overseas sources you don't need to claim it. So, the only documentation she has is from the online platforms dashboard stating how much she earned every month and year, and the deposits made from the online platform to her paypal account. Do you think that would be enough?

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Do either of you have liquid assets equal to 3 times (or more than) the poverty level?

Unless Taiwanese farm land is considered a liquid asset, then no : (

Timeline
6 hours ago, Travis J said:

Thanks for the explanation. At this point I'll start working on getting my parents paper work together and hope that their sponsorship is enough. After that I'll start thinking about plan B and using wife's income. Taiwan's tax law states that if you make less than, I think its over 120k usd, from overseas sources you don't need to claim it. So, the only documentation she has is from the online platforms dashboard stating how much she earned every month and year, and the deposits made from the online platform to her paypal account. Do you think that would be enough?

Yes, the online platform's statements should work if they are stated as earning, not just deposits.  For example Paypal shows deposits, not "earnings" but they do show where the deposits came from.  You'll need a letter explaining who is who and what she's selling, along with not only that she CAN continue but explaining how she WILL continue.  You haven't explained much here and you don't have to, but it matters what she's selling, how it's getting shipped, who and where the buyers are.  For example, if she's shipping physical product HERSELF within Taiwan, she's probably not going to be able to continue doing that from the USA due to shipping charges.  Details matter in these situations.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, the online platform's statements should work if they are stated as earning, not just deposits.  For example Paypal shows deposits, not "earnings" but they do show where the deposits came from.  You'll need a letter explaining who is who and what she's selling, along with not only that she CAN continue but explaining how she WILL continue.  You haven't explained much here and you don't have to, but it matters what she's selling, how it's getting shipped, who and where the buyers are.  For example, if she's shipping physical product HERSELF within Taiwan, she's probably not going to be able to continue doing that from the USA due to shipping charges.  Details matter in these situations.

Dear Pushbrk,

Thanks again for your info. We will be sure to write a formal letter, sign it and explain the following points that you outlined. It is not physical project and the customers are all US based, so nothing should change with my wife moving to USA. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate your advice : ) 

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

One more question....125% of HHS poverty guidlines for a household of 3 (my dad, mom, and my wife) is $28,787. My dad's income is almost triple that amount. Should I just keep it simple and use only his annual retirement income or should I provide assets such as their house that is mortgage free? Is more better?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Travis J said:

One more question....125% of HHS poverty guidlines for a household of 3 (my dad, mom, and my wife) is $28,787. My dad's income is almost triple that amount. Should I just keep it simple and use only his annual retirement income or should I provide assets such as their house that is mortgage free? Is more better?

Use both of their retirement incomes.  Leave the asset information blank.  It's "optional" as directly stated on the forms.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Use both of their retirement incomes.  Leave the asset information blank.  It's "optional" as directly stated on the forms.

I feel good. Making progress on what is an intimidating process at the beginning. I've completed, as best as I can at this point, my I-864, my dad's I-864 and my mom's I-1864a. I waiting for some of the info and documents but making progress.  I left the assets section blank which is a relief as that would require hunting down more documents and evidence : )

I did have another question perhaps you can shed some light on. I tried a web search but didn't get any clear answers. The I-864 form asks for the Immigrant's USCIS Online Account Number - If Any (Part 2 #6). We have received the NVC notification that our I-130 has been approved and it contained a receipt number which I found out wasn't the same as the USCIS Online Account Number. I also have a case number from CEAC website login but I don't think that is it either. Am I missing something? Should I have this number? Will it hurt my chances of success if left blank? 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Travis J said:

I feel good. Making progress on what is an intimidating process at the beginning. I've completed, as best as I can at this point, my I-864, my dad's I-864 and my mom's I-1864a. I waiting for some of the info and documents but making progress.  I left the assets section blank which is a relief as that would require hunting down more documents and evidence : )

I did have another question perhaps you can shed some light on. I tried a web search but didn't get any clear answers. The I-864 form asks for the Immigrant's USCIS Online Account Number - If Any (Part 2 #6). We have received the NVC notification that our I-130 has been approved and it contained a receipt number which I found out wasn't the same as the USCIS Online Account Number. I also have a case number from CEAC website login but I don't think that is it either. Am I missing something? Should I have this number? Will it hurt my chances of success if left blank? 

Unless you know you have one, enter all zeros, same for your A number.  You see the words, "if any" right?  Attention to detail is critical.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Unless you know you have one, enter all zeros, same for your A number.  You see the words, "if any" right?  Attention to detail is critical.

Good advice. Thank you. It just seemed weird that I didn't have any of the info they were asking for, A-Number or USCIS Number. I'll have to print it out to let it enter my wife's phone number in Taiwan. The PDF is strictly locked down and doesn't accept enough digits ; )

Timeline
7 hours ago, Travis J said:

Good advice. Thank you. It just seemed weird that I didn't have any of the info they were asking for, A-Number or USCIS Number. I'll have to print it out to let it enter my wife's phone number in Taiwan. The PDF is strictly locked down and doesn't accept enough digits ; )

Yes, some information must be entered by hand.  The online form has many more "glitches".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
On 10/24/2022 at 3:52 PM, pushbrk said:

Yes, some information must be entered by hand.  The online form has many more "glitches".

Glitches galore :)

My parents are starting to get their paperwork together for me. Since they don't file taxes, will a bank statement from the past three years, showing all deposits from retirement and social security suffice? I'm struggling to think of a more official way to document their income.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Travis J said:

Glitches galore :)

My parents are starting to get their paperwork together for me. Since they don't file taxes, will a bank statement from the past three years, showing all deposits from retirement and social security suffice? I'm struggling to think of a more official way to document their income.

They go to socialsecurity.gov and download their most current declaration letters.  No need for bank statements.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.