Sarge2155

I-751 October 2022 - Filers

341 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Stacey Ann said:

What's a combo interview? Is that necessary once the N400 interview is scheduled? I thought the interviewer would cancel out the I751 if Citizenship interview is successful.

There's no way I-751 would be "canceled out". In fact, I-751 must be approved for N-400 to be approved.

Here are some possible scenarios when having both I-751 and N-400 pending:

- You get I-751 approved without interview, then get N-400 interview

- You get I-751 interview first, and then N-400 interview at a different day

- You get N-400 interview, and you pass it but decision cannot be made due to pending I-751

- You get both I-751 and N-400 interviews on the same day (combo).

Most people hope for first or last scenario. The first one is unlikely if you apply right when you become eligible on 3 year rule, because I-751s take forever nowadays.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
39 minutes ago, OldUser said:

There's no way I-751 would be "canceled out". In fact, I-751 must be approved for N-400 to be approved.

Here are some possible scenarios when having both I-751 and N-400 pending:

- You get I-751 approved without interview, then get N-400 interview

- You get I-751 interview first, and then N-400 interview at a different day

- You get N-400 interview, and you pass it but decision cannot be made due to pending I-751

- You get both I-751 and N-400 interviews on the same day (combo).

Most people hope for first or last scenario. The first one is unlikely if you apply right when you become eligible on 3 year rule, because I-751s take forever nowadays.

Thanks for the info. Do I request the combo interview at the N400 interview since I have not yet received the I751 interview or green card?

1 minute ago, Stacey Ann said:

Thanks for the info. Do I request the combo interview at the N400 interview since I have not yet received the I751 interview or green card?

It will be late to request combo interview at N-400 interview. Sometimes USCIS would figure you have I-751 pending and schedule the combo themselves. However, VJ seen stories when officer was not ready to conduct combo during N-400 interview.

The best strategy is to write a cover letter asking for combo interview and submit copy of I-751 extension when you file N-400

Timeline
45 minutes ago, OldUser said:

It will be late to request combo interview at N-400 interview. Sometimes USCIS would figure you have I-751 pending and schedule the combo themselves. However, VJ seen stories when officer was not ready to conduct combo during N-400 interview.

The best strategy is to write a cover letter asking for combo interview and submit copy of I-751 extension when you file N-400

Ok, thanks. N400 is already scheduled so I'll see what happens when I attend.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, OldUser said:

If N-400 interview is scheduled, you should bring your spouse in case if they decide to do combo!

Will do! Thanks again for all the info. I appreciate it :)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NGorge said:

I have uploaded a letter asking for combo interview. Do we know in advance if they agree to a combo interview or just go with your spouse and hope! :)?

I did the same but I also spoke to a USCIS agent on the phone today and was told since a I751 interview is not always necessary it is up to the interviewing officer. She also stated they do not have a way of requesting a combo interview. Therefore, I should discuss it with the officer at the N400 interview. My spouse will accompany me to the interview and be on standby if needed.

7 minutes ago, NGorge said:

I have uploaded a letter asking for combo interview. Do we know in advance if they agree to a combo interview or just go with your spouse and hope! :)?

Sometimes it's written in interview notice. Other times, it's not written, but it happens. Always be ready for it and bring the USC spouse.

5 hours ago, OldUser said:

Sometimes it's written in interview notice. Other times, it's not written, but it happens. Always be ready for it and bring the USC spouse.

Perfect. Going with my spouse for the N-400 interview tomorrow. Will update. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Stacey Ann said:

I did the same but I also spoke to a USCIS agent on the phone today and was told since a I751 interview is not always necessary it is up to the interviewing officer. She also stated they do not have a way of requesting a combo interview. Therefore, I should discuss it with the officer at the N400 interview. My spouse will accompany me to the interview and be on standby if needed.

Perfect. Thank you. Have the interview tomorrow so hoping for the best! :)

Timeline
11 minutes ago, NGorge said:

Perfect. Going with my spouse for the N-400 interview tomorrow. Will update. Thank you.

Ok, all the best tomorrow 🥰

Timeline
On 1/16/2024 at 8:19 PM, NGorge said:

Hi @NGorge how did it go yesterday?

3 hours ago, Stacey Ann said:

Hi @NGorge how did it go yesterday?

Going to give you a more detailed version.

So my wife and I went to the USCIS center. They called my wife and I told the officer about the pending i751. He said that right now, he is only concerned about the n-400. He asked me if I am the husband and I said I was. He told me to hang back in the waiting area.

My wife cleared the n-400 and she said that he did ask some i751 questions to her as well. The officer told her that he did not make a decision yet but most probably will clear the i751 as well. And if he has any concern, he will contact via mail. 

I had no idea how to respond as I felt this is very vague. 

But today, the status of the n-400 application has changed to "Oath ceremony will be scheduled". But the i751 status remains the same at "Case was updated to show fingerprints was taken."

I will wait to get the official notice of oath ceremony in hand! 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, NGorge said:

Going to give you a more detailed version.

So my wife and I went to the USCIS center. They called my wife and I told the officer about the pending i751. He said that right now, he is only concerned about the n-400. He asked me if I am the husband and I said I was. He told me to hang back in the waiting area.

My wife cleared the n-400 and she said that he did ask some i751 questions to her as well. The officer told her that he did not make a decision yet but most probably will clear the i751 as well. And if he has any concern, he will contact via mail. 

I had no idea how to respond as I felt this is very vague. 

But today, the status of the n-400 application has changed to "Oath ceremony will be scheduled". But the i751 status remains the same at "Case was updated to show fingerprints was taken."

Ok, thanks for the detailed information @NGorge. Sounds like things went well. Congrats. We will go together next month also, and report back here how things went.

32 minutes ago, NGorge said:

Sometimes I-751 is stuck on some irrelevant status even after naturalization. Many officer don't bother clicking the forms to update online status for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.