Vytra

IR2 children arrived, how to get them naturalized?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to the USCIS, 

Children with IR-2 visas that are: under 18 years old automatically acquire U.S. citizenship after admission to the United States if they reside in the United States with their parents.

They arrived to the U.S. a few days ago. My wife and I are both U.S. citizens. We all went to the SSA, but they were unable to issue them social security cards. They said we would need some kind of further evidence. This is important for us because they have just received health insurance (temporarily approved), but we need to submit proof of citizenship and SSNs within three months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Vytra

F2A Visa

I-130 submitted: 03/05/2020

I-130 NOA1: 03/10/2020

I-I30 NOA2: 02/03/2021

DQ at NVC: 06/24/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. They are eligible for SS cards based on their endorsed IR2 visas. Try again 

2. Apply for their U.S. passports and passport cards using their endorsed IR2 visas, your marriage certificate, and your original evidence of U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, CRBA, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

1. They are eligible for SS cards based on their endorsed IR2 visas. Try again 

2. Apply for their U.S. passports and passport cards using their endorsed IR2 visas, your marriage certificate, and your original evidence of U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, CRBA, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, 

Don't you need to submit original documents for the passport? So, we would need to detach the IR2 visas from the passport and submit them?

F2A Visa

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

Don’t detach the visa from the passport. Submit the whole passport 

Aah okay. I hope the person who works at the post office will accept it. We live in a fairly rural part of the country so I assume they don't encounter these situations frequently.

F2A Visa

Timeline
9 hours ago, Vytra said:

Don't you need to submit original documents for the passport? So, we would need to detach the IR2 visas from the passport and submit them?

You need to send the entire passport.  

Timeline
9 hours ago, Vytra said:

Aah okay. I hope the person who works at the post office will accept it. We live in a fairly rural part of the country so I assume they don't encounter these situations frequently.

I would assume so. You will need a plan B (an acceptance facility at the county office) and a plan C (go to an actual passport agency office).  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.